Bus Conversion Magazine Bulletin Board
April 27, 2018, 01:54:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Scenicrusier at Bonneville  (Read 4302 times)
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2009, 09:03:31 PM »

Jim, the 3408 was a industrial engine 18 L (used in the D9 dozers and 650 scrapers) made to compete with the Cummins KTA neither ever worked for transportation engines.
The old 440 V8 Cat in the late 60's and early 70's competed against the 2 stroke.
Cat, Cummins and Mack took their best shots but look what survived LOL

good luck
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 09:08:08 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2009, 05:40:51 AM »

Well, it looks like the CAT 3408 is not all that well thought of.  I recall several years ago, there was a company selling "Hot Rod" semis with fancy paint and HUGE sleeper/living boxes on the back.  They always made a big deal about the truck having a CAT 3408.

Dallas, if I did my math correctly, that 1099 CID is 18L!  That is huge.  What I did find on the engine always mentioned terrible fuel mileage.  Guess that is why.

While it might not be a engine of choice, I thought it was a "fun" and "unique" conversion Grin

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
Dallas

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2009, 05:50:08 AM »

Jim,

I drove one of those "Truckstop Queens" as a favor to a friend of mine after he broke his leg.
My opinion is about the same as BK's.
Awhile back I was teasing Frank (Slowrider) about stuffing one in his MC8. But I just can't really think of a good reason to use one in an on-highway installation.
The one I drove would pass anything except a fuel pump, was constantly overweight on the steering axle, went through crank pulleys way too often, (probably from the varying rpms), and still wasn't the fastest truck on the road.
I had trucks with 855 cid Cummins out run me and out pll me on the hills.

But, yes, it would be a great conversation piece to show off to all of your friends.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2009, 06:12:49 AM »

thanks Dallas I forgot about all the 900.00 dollar radiators I bought for my KW from the fans going through them when the pulley failed. I don't remember Joe ever telling me a 855 Cummins ever out pulling him.
Those engines with a 4 axle low boy and a two axle jeep and a good heavy load would destroy the rear driver tires if you were not careful the one I had would pull the thread off the casing (new tires) with a 5 speed and a 4 speed aux transmission.
I could not believe the service the 3408 gave in a 50 yard scraper to be so bad in a truck other than a head every now and then they gave very few problems for me just keep the fuel truck close and they would work about 6 hrs from 240 gals of fuel

good luck
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 06:49:56 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: