Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 31, 2014, 11:06:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 6-71 operating temp question  (Read 1305 times)
Casper4104

Ignore
« on: July 13, 2006, 12:11:45 PM »

Ok, hereís the deal.

Iíve had my 4104 for about 4 months now.  Driven it about 2500 miles.  It uses a little oil (leaks Ė no smoke) and runs pretty decent.  The hill climbng performance is acceptable but not great.  Iíve never had a ride in another, so I donít know if itís normal.  Fuel mileage on my last run (1000 miles, OH to VA & back) was 11.4mpg.

From the day I picked up the bus the water temp has read cold on the gage, rarely getting above 150 degrees F.  I believe the gage is pretty close, because even after a long run I can comfortably put my hand on the side of the block, the R-stat housing, or just about anywhere else.  I had planned to shoot the thermostat housing with an Infra gun to see if my gage is accurate, and upgrade the thermostat if necessary to get it up to the usual 180 degrees.

After this last run Iím rethinking that.  If Iím satisfied with the performance and economy Iím seeing now, would it be wise to just leave it alone?  Running that cold gives me one heck of a margin before she gets hot enough to make vapor, boil or otherwise hurt herself.

What do you guys think?  Would the performance or mileage improve if I get her to run hotter? Would it be worth it?

Looking forward to your learned replies, thanks.

Casper

If a half a hen lays a half an egg in a half a day - how long would it take a monkey with a wooden leg to kick the seeds out of a dill pickle?
NCbob

"Foolish Pleasure" 35' MC5A

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2006, 01:06:11 PM »

There's two thoughts I have in connection with your line of thinking....and please don't misunderstand..I'm in no way trying to be rude or a KIA.

The Engineers who built these old Detroits performed exhaustive tests on them before releasing them. Without question they want to be run at or about 180 Degrees.  They run more efficiently and run longer.   Running any engine too cold builds up sludge in the crankcase, around the overhead, etc.  If you've ever had to disassemble one of those sludged up engines my guess is that you'd love to wring the neck of the person who allowed it to get in that condition.

On a word, run 'em hot...like you hate 'em and you'll love 'em.

FWIW

Bob

True friends are difficult to find, hard to leave and impossible to forget.
bernie

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2006, 02:53:48 PM »

my 4104 runs about 180 and on a hill the temp goes up a liile.my fuel milage is only about 8.5 when towing the car. good luck
           Bernie
gus

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2006, 03:20:54 PM »

Casper,

I've had my 4104 not quite a year and I had the same experience as you. It runs around 150 in moderate to hot weather and will increase maybe to 180 on a hard climb.

In cold weather it runs even cooler than 150 and in really hot desert weather it may climb to 170  on level ground.

I just recently discovered that the radiator shutters work, I thought they were locked up but the air was shut off to them because of a bad air leak. I fixed the leak and am leaving on a trip tomorrow to see if they open up when up to proper temp?

I don't see how you ever get 11.4 mpg unless you are driving around 50-55 mph or going downhill all the time?? My average for over 10,000 miles is 7-9 at 60-65 mph and that is about what I have been reading on this board that others get.

Hill climbing and oil leaks are about the same for me also. I just find the right gear on a hill, pull out the throttle and sit back and enjoy the view!

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2006, 03:26:33 PM »

Maybe I am kinda dumb, but if a vehicle has a 180 degree rated thermostat then the engine will come up to that temperature and stay there unless operating in very cold weather. I know my 4104 did as well as the Eagle.

The thermostat is a very inexpensive device and should be replaced, or at least tested in a pan of hot water with a thermometer to determine exactly when it opens.
Richard

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
Casper4104

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2006, 04:31:28 PM »

Thanks for the replies,  I think I will take the Tstat out (assuming it's there) and test it this weekend.

About the MPG - my dad taught me to drive in a little old R-model Mack pulling the legal at the time 76,000lb gvw with a little 237 Maxidyne and a 5 speed.  Patience is a virtue that I acquired at an early age.  I run her about 60-62 on the flat, a little more on the downs and try hard to never lug and never EVER make soot.  Keeping my butt in the seat, I did the Marietta Oh to Poquoson VA run (480 miles each way) in 10 hours, in the car I do it in 8, maybe 8-1/2 with a lunch&gas stop.  I did this round trip plus a little running around the hometown on 88 gallons, which comes to 11.36 mpg.  I do baby the old gal, and she rewards me.

Shutters?  These things are supposed to have shutters?  Mine are long gone, no doubt removed by an earlier owner.

I have my pan, my meat thermometer and a piece of coathanger wire - we'll get to the bottom of this.

Thanks again,

Casper

If a half a hen lays a half an egg in a half a day - how long would it take a monkey with a wooden leg to kick the seeds out of a dill pickle?
pvcces

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2006, 07:22:58 PM »

Casper, I'll bet you've got the high compression engine. It does make a difference on light loads. And then, IIRC, there are something like three different axle ratios for those old girls.

In any case, it sounds like you've got a good combination.

Reports that diesel efficiency rises with temperature are all over the place. As long as you don't overheat yours, you should be fine with good thermostats of 180 degrees. You might want to call Luke and see if he has anything useful to add.

When they were building our airport in Ketchikan, the contractor ran his Detroits as hot(190) as he could. The given reason was for durability. I do think it keeps the oil cleaner.

For what it's worth.

Tom Caffrey
Suncatcher
Ketchikan, Alaska

Tom Caffrey PD4106-2576
Suncatcher
Ketchikan, Alaska
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: