Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 27, 2014, 01:46:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiserís website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Bay Cars" What will fit?  (Read 6586 times)
Sean
Geek.

'85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2009, 05:09:25 PM »

When we got our bus, it had an EZ-Go electric golf car in the bay.  The car had been fitted with headlights, turn indicators, brake, and running lights, and had a California license plate as a street-legal vehicle.  In order to make it fit, the steering wheel was cut off at the top, making it look somewhat like an airplane yoke, and they had fitted a wired remote control to work the motors, so that the car could load and unload using its own power (no room to sit in the car while loading and unloading.

We have since converted the bay over for motorcycle use.  We formerly had two full-size sport "standards" in there -- Suzuki SV-650's, along with a pair of bicycles (see http://odyssey.smugmug.com/gallery/173090_aFeSV#6514003_H6Wz5). We have since downsized to 150cc step-through scooters, which have proven more useful for the kind of riding around that we do.

Of course, we have a Neoplan, with 43" clear height in the bays, and more like 45" on either side of the central frame members.  Bryce's Setras have similar height, as well as the Van Hools.  I once saw a SceniCruiser with a Harley in one bay, as well.

When it comes to actual cars, however, it becomes more difficult.  Many have seen the cut-down Honda 600s that some Buffalo and Eagle buses have been carrying.  I would not drive one of those above about 30mph -- cutting that much length out of the wheelbase made them incredibly unstable at higher speeds.  Remember, too, that cutting the roof off a unibody will likely require substantial reinforcement elsewhere.

With regard to production automobiles legally available in the US, even the shortest model of SmartCar is just a tad too long to fit in a bay, even if you could deal with the height issues.  Many HDT-types, though, have modified their haulers to carry one just behind the cab and ahead of the hitch.  It you have a 40' coach, you might conceivably build a platform on the back to carry one the same way, although you'd have quite the engineering challenge to cantilever all that weight behind the coach.

I would suggest with your 102A3 that the best you will be able to do is either a heavily modified golf cart, an ATV, or a pair of small step-through scooters.  Remember, if you have gas-powered vehicles in a bay, you are subject to a whole raft of ventilation requirements, signage, and separation requirements as detailed in ANSI/NFPA 1192.  We had to put substantial ventilation slots in the floor of our motorcycle bay to vent the gasoline fumes.

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com

Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
kd5kfl

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2009, 05:46:21 PM »

Ford GT-40? Kinda spendy...
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 05:48:31 PM by kd5kfl » Logged
Singing Land Cruiser
Michael & Christi Hargis

Looking for another Bus

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2009, 09:04:55 AM »

Great info, Do you have any pics of the "Honda 600 cut down" and others? M&C

Entertainers/BUSNUTS
http://singinglandcruiser.blogspot.com/
Master Mason, Noble Shriner
Where "R" We ; Leeds, Utah
BG6

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2009, 10:07:43 AM »

Any of the Matchbox cars, and most of the Corgis.   Grin

You're not going to find anything that is street legal and will fit under the tunnel, unless you take it off the wheels.  However, there are hitches available for the A3s (both 96 and 102), so you can handle a toad or with a toy hauler.
BG6

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2009, 10:10:37 AM »

When we got our bus, it had an EZ-Go electric golf car in the bay.  The car had been fitted with headlights, turn indicators, brake, and running lights, and had a California license plate as a street-legal vehicle.  In order to make it fit, the steering wheel was cut off at the top

. . .which makes it no longer street-legal . . .taking it off and remounting it would work, though.  I just don't consider golf carts a street vehicle, except in some old-folks colony.

cody

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2009, 10:26:51 AM »

In Michigan golf carts can be concidered street legal if they met the criteria, headlights, turnsignals, brake lights and tail lights are the minimum for being concidered street legal, keep in mind that street legal doesn't always mean road legal, a golf cart would not be concidered legal fare on many highways but would be more in the commuter class for innercity use.  I've been seeing more and more golf carts being used for store runs and have concidered using ours for that too. Each locale seem to have different rules and regulations tho and it requires some research to find out what is needed in your particular area but I know with our golf cart, a five gallon can of gas is almost a summers use lol.
Sean
Geek.

'85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2009, 11:23:14 AM »

...  In order to make it fit, the steering wheel was cut off at the top

. . .which makes it no longer street-legal . . .taking it off and remounting it would work, though. 

Please cite the specific section of the California Vehicle Code (where the car was registered) on which this statement is based.

AFAIK, the cart was registered after all modifications were completed, although I can't swear to that, as it came to me that way.  I can find nothing in the code that says the steering wheel must be a complete circle.

Note that there are specific rules for street-legal golf-type carts (for example, they may not be driven on "freeways" as that term is defined in the CVC).

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com

Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2009, 01:09:32 PM »

Lots of four-wheeled vehicles can be made street legal without having to comply with the rules which apply to 'cars'. Quad bikes, mobility scooters and (probably) golf carts would be covered under quadricycle rules, as indeed does the G-Wizz that I suggested earlier.

Which isn't to say it's a good idea to drive such things on the road. Earlier this year I got the fright of my life when I rounded a corner at 60mph+ to find a quad bike sitting stationary in the middle of the road, waiting to turn right. If it had been a car I'd have seen it much earlier. If it had been a bike I could have passed it without problem. As it was I was very thankful for the ABS.

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
Singing Land Cruiser
Michael & Christi Hargis

Looking for another Bus

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2009, 07:31:54 AM »

Lots of four-wheeled vehicles can be made street legal without having to comply with the rules which apply to 'cars'. Quad bikes, mobility scooters and (probably) golf carts would be covered under quadricycle rules, as indeed does the G-Wizz that I suggested earlier.

Which isn't to say it's a good idea to drive such things on the road. Earlier this year I got the fright of my life when I rounded a corner at 60mph+ to find a quad bike sitting stationary in the middle of the road, waiting to turn right. If it had been a car I'd have seen it much earlier. If it had been a bike I could have passed it without problem. As it was I was very thankful for the ABS.

Jeremy
Are any of these able to fit in the bay without mods to them?

And we are seeking vics/cars that will fit in the bay and hopfully some pictures in and out of the bay. Thanks M&C
How about that mod. 600 Honda? PIC?
(((DALLAS WOULD KNOW)))

Entertainers/BUSNUTS
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2009, 07:40:03 AM »

I just Googled "baggage bay car" and this was one of the first results. I expect there are lots more out there if you search for them.

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
BG6

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2009, 11:05:05 AM »

...  In order to make it fit, the steering wheel was cut off at the top

. . .which makes it no longer street-legal . . .taking it off and remounting it would work, though. 

Please cite the specific section of the California Vehicle Code (where the car was registered) on which this statement is based.

I can't -- but the CHP trooper who wrote me the ticket for my "modified" steering wheel sure as heck did!

It was listed as "Unsafe Equipment" -- the judge explained that it made it impossible to use the (state-mandated) 10-and-2 and hand-over-hand steering methods.
Singing Land Cruiser
Michael & Christi Hargis

Looking for another Bus

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2009, 09:11:19 PM »

OK, I googled this and didn't get anywhere. Huh Or nothing new that is. Anyone have tip for this one? Thanks, M&C

Entertainers/BUSNUTS
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2009, 05:13:51 AM »

Instead of cutting the wheel, just make it so you can easily take it off of the column. That is what the guy that had the Honda 600 that i saw did.

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2009, 05:18:38 AM »

M&C,

I really don't think that you all would like a bay car. If you want something light, tow something light. However, a small bay car would, for us anyways, be extremely unpractical.

Just a thought.

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
blue_goose

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2009, 07:03:34 AM »

We still have this car, haven't used it in a long time.  Had lots of fun with it for years, you get to meet everyone in the campground.  The car will run about 70 miles, if you have the guts to stay with it.  Made a good city car at 35 to 40 miles per hr.  I didn't build the car, it is a 1968 Honda 600 built to go in a 4104.  I am the third owner and it is ready for the fourth one now.

Data used in this document is made from 100% recycled electrons and magnetic particles. No electrons were harmed in the creation of this document.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: