Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 19, 2014, 06:09:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, your Online mags will be safe.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Greyhound using Prevost.  (Read 3701 times)
johns4104s

Ignore
« on: August 19, 2009, 06:26:23 AM »

The last time we were in Chicargo we spotted two dark blue colored Greyhound buses, they were Prevost. Does anyone know the storey.

John
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 06:30:13 AM »

Yep John Greyhound doesn't own MCI any longer so they buy the cheapest they can I see they even have Van Hools and Volvo.  
The Prevost they are using are not the average Prevost they are made for Greyhound and Bolt (PeterPan) just like the G series MCI was a real cheap version of Prevost the ones I looked at in the factory.
Wait till those hit the used market in 10 years if they last that long  

good luck
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 06:46:50 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
Sojourner
Jesus Love You!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 06:32:35 AM »

Greyhound New Bus Video

Sojourn for Christ, Gerald

http://dalesdesigns.net/names.htm
Ps 28 Blessed be the LORD, because he hath heard the voice of my supplications. The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 06:38:50 AM »

With as big a fleet as Greyhound has I would think they would want to buy large batches of the same model of bus for ease of service.  A random smattering of bus brands and models has got to be more expensive to service.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
MattC

Recycled DART Bus 8284

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 06:53:37 AM »

I saw a Prevost with a hound on the side heading east on Hwy 30 a couple weeks ago.  I was afraid 1960s recreational activities were reappearing.

=)

MCI 102A3 / 6V92 / HT740
Camping in our House LOL
WL7CQH
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 07:05:48 AM »

Tsk Tsk... They should be using Plaxtons - after all, British company...British bus

Seriously, I have often wondered why big operators use a mix of buses when you would think that it would make servicing expensive. I suspect the answer is that nowadays the servicing contract is included in the original purchasing deal, and the operator does very little servicing themselves. In the aviation industry I know that companies such as Rolls Royce (a big employer around here) no longer 'sell' engines at all - they effectively just lease an engine service and keep complete control and ownership of the hardware and everything to do with it's maintenance. It wouldn't surprise me if buses were going the same way.

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
johns4104s

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 07:08:15 AM »

I really like the new colors and Paint design.

John
BG6

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 10:32:42 AM »

Tsk Tsk... They should be using Plaxtons - after all, British company...British bus

Seriously, I have often wondered why big operators use a mix of buses when you would think that it would make servicing expensive.

Many of the expendable and wearing parts are common across brands, and when you have several brands, you aren't down across the fleet if there is a safety recall.
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 10:44:27 AM »

John, That was thought also, great looking color combo and design. Almost kind of retro with the side scallop.

Paul

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2009, 06:13:02 PM »

Somewhat old news, Greyhound has purchased some several hundred of those Prevost and the new style paint scheme. WiFi equipped in some markets.

The mix of equipment may be lingering pieces of bought up fleets, and some trial buses purchased earlier to try them out. Whatever deals it took to keep it going in whichever market area.

Greyhound Canada bought a handful of H3 45 a few years back, trailer hitches for freighters and must have liked the support.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2009, 06:25:40 PM »

Wait till ya see the S417 SETRA's! They bought! (200 of them I'm told!) Grin  BK  Grin

Must be checking out reliability factor not cheap, cheap issues! LOL! Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2009, 06:39:38 PM »

Wouldn't Greyhound have enough purchasing clout to be able to return test buses they don't like so they don't end up with a mishmash of bus models?

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2009, 06:46:50 PM »

Bk, if they are buying S417's I may start riding the bus lol.
Setra is not playing fair being the only bus with the 60 series a 5% fuel saving in a fleet will be a huge saving to GreyHound.
 I know people with the D-13 Volvo engine in their Prevost and they are not happy campers .    

good luck

buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2009, 06:50:43 PM »

Greyhound has been on the verge of bankruptcy for the last 20 years, only with their purchase by the British are they getting a cash infusion to re-capitalize the fleet.

Dealing with them has been risky business for a long time.

It might be suggested that in the volumes of equipment of a company like Greyhound, mixing the fleet lets you go next door more easily, and keeps your finger on the pulse across the manufacturers.

Single sourcing backfires if/when the vendor starts to squeeze back, knowing you are trapped.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2009, 07:32:24 PM »

BW, I agree, it's not good to put all of your eggs in one basket. They have more clout to keep the competition in line for bidding purposes. As far as parts, I don't think that's a big worry, it's the support that is important.

Bottom line is what is important and has the least impact.

Paul

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
fraser8
Fraser

1972 Prevost

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2009, 07:50:09 PM »

Nothing negative here, I like the look and I think the graphics are the best I've seen in years, the retro classic look is a refreshing change. Is one brand better than another, that's yet to be seen, we have a lot of Prevost Coaches traveling in my part of the country and I've never seen one parked on the roadside.

Fraser Field
Deroche, BC, Canada
Where the milk cows out number the people, but they can't vote
1972 Prevost, Detroit 8-71/740 Allison automatic, Jakes
Hobbies: restoring classic cars, www.oldambulance.com, arranging old car tours: www.coasters2010.com, www.canadiancoasters.ca
Retired Paramedic
johns4104s

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2009, 08:55:54 PM »

Somewhat old news, Greyhound has purchased some several hundred of those Prevost and the new style paint scheme. WiFi equipped in some markets.

It may be old news to some but after traveling 10,000 miles over the last 6 months I have only seen only two. You cant miss them with that paint job and look.
Your wrong if you think that Greyhound will limit themselves to several hundred. The ties between the UK and Canada will put Prevost in the drivers seat.

John
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2009, 09:19:54 PM »

John, I doubt that will come into play GreyHound has to many partners in their operations 2 I know of PeterPan and Trailways of New York and looking for more.
I know they have approached Arrow Stage Lines for the Midwest and Southwest routes so all the buses your are seeing don't all belong to Greyhound.  
And if I am not mistaken the 200 Setras BK was talking about will belong to Arrow Stage Lines and the inter city bus service is not something First Group is into they like school buses that is the reason Greyhound is a separate co from First Group

good luck      

« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 09:27:34 PM by luvrbus » Logged

johns4104s

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2009, 09:28:14 PM »

Cliff.

I have only seen two both running together in the Chicargo area.

John
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2009, 09:46:18 PM »

John, I see the Greyhound X3 model Prevost on I 40 about everyday along with few new MCI's and Van Hools plus a few rags still in service I don't have any idea who owns the buses.
And they have very few passengers aboard when they stop at Needles.     

good luck

Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2009, 06:32:30 AM »

Clifford I could be wrong, But I was told by a man @ Setra that a # of the S417 Hounds were all ready in service running the Southeast up and down I-95 mostly in SC, GA & FL! I can't prove this, but that is what we were told when we went to the training class in Utah back in May! (also several in Canada!) FWIW
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
ktmossman

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2009, 08:04:52 AM »

You are correct.  We saw several Greyhound Setras on the Interstates on our trek through GA and FL last month.  I noticed because the first one was a bit of a surprise.
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2009, 08:26:03 AM »

I am glad to see that they are mixing it up with different manufacturers.

Nothing like a little friendly competition to keep your prices down.

I also like the new logos/design as I lean to the retro look anyway.... Wink

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: