Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 26, 2014, 12:03:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Today is a sad day for us  (Read 4411 times)
cody

« on: August 19, 2009, 06:50:16 AM »

Today Dallas quit the board,  we've lost one of the most experienced detroit guys around and one of the most willing to help others and a friend.  Why did it happen? It's simple, too much infighting and too much arguing, I came here from RV.Net cause they had a rule, do it their way or be wrong, here I found the freedom to do things differently and the encouragement to try.  Dallas will probably be mad at me for posting this but each and everyone one of us is to blame, what ever happened to the close knit bunch of guys that would give each other helll and then get the job done, when a person was broke down on the road, it was a race to see who could get their first to help, now the discussion turns to which road coverage is best, who gives a rats behind if the democrats or the republicans are in power and maybe it'll not be good for us, did we care before? NO, what we cared about was each other and buses.  It's a sad day in my opinion and I feel terrible for any way I may have contributed to it.  I don't care how a person chooses to shift the blame, we all are guilty and I'd like to see him come back, flame if you want, thats ok, I'll still miss him and I'll have a spot in my yard for him and cat for anytime they want and for as long as they want.  This is more than loosing a member, it's loosing a friend.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 07:03:57 AM by cody » Logged
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 06:58:47 AM »

This is indeed sad news! I agree with your statement cody. Maybe after things cool down, we'll have the pleasure of his company again!

I hate it when we loose anybody, especially one with so much knowledge.  Cry

Paul

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 07:03:14 AM »

Cody-let's not put the entire blame on the board here. Dallas has made some rather cutting remarks about me and my conversion without my mentioning him by name.  Some people are confrontational and like to create waves-I think we could put Dallas into that category.  I will miss Dallas's knowledge, but not his sharp tongue.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
cody

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 07:09:30 AM »

Tom, is it a posibility that he was right? that your possibly not the final word?, think about it, I've found many people that have questioned your information, I don't know enough to know if your right or not but have noticed that it's very hard for you to be questioned, we all need to deal better with that aspect.
Hartley

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 07:13:26 AM »

Been there done that.

On Many Days the keyboard is not your friend.

This stuff happens when someone poses or posts an authoritarian view of stuff
and even though disclaimers are many there still can be a friction-factor.

There does tend to be those "I don't want to hear that! " type of messages and sometimes all the good that an article may intend is not accepted widely without a lean towards the old battle lines of " I know more than You do! "

Sometimes the flaw is not in the actual text but more in how something is interpreted and the context of understanding.

Ok, Now I will crawl back in my hole and shutup...

Never take a knife to a gunfight!
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 07:16:15 AM »

That is too bad!!! We will miss him! I wonder what was the final blow to that? Surely it wasn't the "air brakes" thread. I got a little upset about that, but I didn't think that it was too bad. Sure he had some problems, but we all have problems. We wouldn't be human if we didn't have at least a problem or two, and I know I have a lot more than one or two problems in my life.

Maybe he will come back....It is too bad when people get their feelings hurt, and leave in a huff....

You are right about being able to accept questions, Cody. That is how we learned about Sam Walker. After dropping our bus off at his place that day, we were at the hotel that night waiting to fly out the next morning. We emailed him with a couple questions and concerns we had, and he emailed us back boiling mad what we would question him for any reason. He ended the email by telling us to "come get your bus" and he threatened to call the highway patrol on us for something, and I can't remember what the reason was (of course we told him to call the HP, and we didn't mind a bit....somehow he changed his mind Grin).

So, I agree Cody. One should be able to accept questions or criticisms. Of course, it helps if the questions are not unkind, but still....
God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 07:21:13 AM »

It can get very frustrating trying to help here when you been there and done that and people tell you you don't know what you are talking about.
I have been thinking about just reading and not posting anyway Dallas and Cat have a spot at my house anytime with 50amp service and the AZ sunshine and heat.    

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
busshawg

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 07:38:28 AM »

Your right Cody, it is a sad day. I have backed away somwwhat as well, although I have had no direct insults or whatever directed towrds me.  As you said many conversations seem to stray away from the bus issues. I have been reading a lot more and posting less, filtering the information out in my head. A person quickly learns whom has the experience and who's advice a person should lean towards. All that other stuff is disgarding in my head although when something is directed towards one individual it takes alot of self disipline not not to get caught up in some meaningless pissing contest. Dallas I will miss your posts here. I don't believe we have had many direct conversations, however your knowledge that has been shown with other memebers had helped me out immensely.

Grant

Have Fun!!
Grant
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 07:48:24 AM »

Hi Folks,

As a Moderator, I'm gonna tell you all again, IT'S A HARD JOB.....Weather you respect that or not, it doesnt pay a dime and you have to love

dealing with folks when they get out of hand. It's not fun being the bad guy! BUT, the rewards of helping folks out have no price tag!

Give Dallas a breather and let hin heal. He is a very valuable asset to this board.. We can't let him walk! So, everybody just cool down!

That's all I have to say for now but, I will be behind the scenes working on this.
Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2009, 07:53:44 AM »

Paula & I have known Dallas & Cat for many years and have camped together with them on several occasions. We will miss Dallas & Cat on the Board.  
   Communicating in writing is so much different than communicating in person. When communicating in writing, there is no body language to read and the written message can usually be perceived in many different ways depending on who is reading it. Also, many people will write stuff they would not say to you face to face.  
   It is always sad to loose very knowledgeable people from the Board. Although I rarely feel "attacked", I would not let that make me leave the Board. If I left, I would feel that I just let the attacker win, and that ain't gonna happen.
   Maybe it is the economy or just the times we are livin' in, but it seems so many people are more easily upset and more confrontationable if someone disagrees with them. There are always more than 1 way to "skin a cat" and if someone else has a different way, that does not make them wrong. My feeling is that no one has a right to tell me how to do something, just as I do not have a right to tell them how to do something. I will listen to suggestions or give suggestions, but they are just that, suggestions, take em' or leave em'. But let's still be friends. Jack

PS: Just want to add to what Nick said, as moderators, we are sometimes "damned if we do & damned if we don't". We get PMs asking us to delete messages because that person was offended by the message. If we delete the message, we get PMs asking why that message was deleted, because the writer did not feel it was offensive.  Maybe some need a little thicker skin and some some need to review their post before posting.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 08:00:26 AM by JackConrad » Logged

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2009, 08:04:00 AM »

It is sad when someone packs up their toys & leaves. . . .
Sometimes, a vacation is needed.
The GREAT thing about this board is the welcome that is waiting for the return.

There are many advantages to working thru differences in opinions. I've learned much from discussing stuff with people who don't agree with me.

There are many here I have had opposing opinions with, but they are welcome to 30A & a level spot to park at my house, & to share a meal or two.

For most people, you only see the tip of the iceberg, there's lots going on that you don't see. . . .

This doesn't sound like the Dallas I know, hopefully things will get better.

Life is short & I'm too lazy to carry a grudge.

Have some dessert.  Grin

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
cody

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2009, 08:12:26 AM »

One of the greatest assets this board had and still has is the openness and ability for a person to throw out an idea and watch it develope, in the short time I've been here I've seen people discuss splitting a bus down the middle and widening it, I've seen people discuss engine swaps and what all could be done, lately it seems when a subject like an engine swap or tranny swap comes up it's more about why it can't be done than how to do it, I read threads that suggested flipping axles, shortening drive shafts, everything from tilt wheels to cutting massive holes in the bus sides for slides and stuff, people even modified cars to tuck into the bays, the sky was the limit, if you could dream it, then it could be done, what ever happened to that, we need to get back to the foundation that brought this great group of misfits together, the ability to do what nobody else dreamed of.  We've lost too many good people.  Lets try to get back to what started the board and why it started.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2009, 08:13:07 AM »

A lot of talent has left the board never to return and I miss that and yep I even miss Ace but the back ground deal was to much for him I guess.
 I would even miss JohnEd if he left and I never know what he talking about LOL.
Jack and Kyle pretty much said it all.    

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2009, 08:26:06 AM »

Communicating in writing is so much different than communicating in person.  When communicating in writing, there is no body language to read and the written message can usually be perceived in many different ways depending on who is reading it. Also, many people will write stuff they would not say to you face to face.  
   It is always sad to loose very knowledgeable people from the Board.  Although I rarely feel "attacked", I would not let that make me leave the Board.  If I left, I would feel that I just let the attacker win, and that ain't gonna happen.
   Maybe it is the economy or just the times we are livin' in, but it seems so many people are more easily upset and more confrontationable if someone disagrees with them.  There are always more than 1 way to "skin a cat" and if someone else has a different way, that does not make them wrong.  My feeling is that no one has a right to tell me how to do something, just as I do not have a right to tell them how to do something. I will listen to suggestions or give suggestions, but they are just that, suggestions, take em' or leave em'. But let's still be friends.  Jack

Jack,

I couldn't agree more or stated it better!

It seems at a minimum to be pervasive right now, the reasons are many and no doubt vary by the individual.

There are many ways to disagree, without being disagreeable, plenty of ways to make your point without belittling others.

I hope Dallas gets back on this BBS soon, hes a good guy who's helped out many on here, I don't care why he left, I don't want to gossip about it either, hes a part of this community, no more or less than anyone else and him not being here is a loss to all of us.

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
Singing Land Cruiser
Michael & Christi Hargis

Looking for another Bus

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2009, 09:02:34 AM »

Huh How could this have happened  Huh  M&C

Entertainers/BUSNUTS
http://singinglandcruiser.blogspot.com/
Master Mason, Noble Shriner
Where "R" We ; Leeds, Utah
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up