Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 23, 2014, 12:18:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Today is a sad day for us  (Read 4405 times)
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2009, 09:05:54 AM »

It is sad indeed.  We have lost too much collective knowledge here over the last couple years.  Some taken from us by death, but others simply became uncomfortable posting.

Dallas will be missed greatly around here and I do hope that when he feels comfortable doing so he will return.

Cody and others have said it very well - we need to get back to being the close knit "family" that we once were.  It is a fact that there are squabbles within any family.  And I'm sure there always will be here.  But at the end of the day we need to all remember that we are a "family" of bus nuts.
Paladin
Dave Knight

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2009, 09:26:47 AM »

I've been a member for about two and a half years I guess and was a lurker for longer than that before joining. Of the various groups I tend to like this one maybe a little more, probably because I spent more time here. Probably because believe it or not I thought this group of folks was friendlier. There used to be comments made about how much more friendlier this board was than others, whatever happened to that pride? This forum has chased off many good people lately either in the form of them walking off in anger or just people quietly slipping away. Are we really that big and neat and powerful that we can afford to lose good members? This forum seems to have been taken over lately by grumpy and cantankerous old bastards instead of the fun loving group it should be and I honestly thought it was.

My observations are that while the average age on this forum is well over 35 the attitudes often tend to be more like I see in forums frequented by people well under 35. This applies to both sides of the fence. People need to be both thicker skinned and also more kind. There have been countless flame wars stemming from people insisting that theirs is the ONLY way to approach a problem implying their knowledge to be infinite. There have been far too many flame wars over politics which in my opinion have zero place in this forum. That's not what I come for and I don't want to read others political views here. It's been said that as adults we should allow the political discussion but that really hasn't seemed to work out well has it? I've never seen it work in any other forum either including political forums.
Another forum I'm a member of will lock or delete political discussions instantly in order to keep peace and it works, we only discuss cars which is the point of the forum.
People come to a forum to discuss the topic of the forum and other topics should probably be left out.

Another issue I've noticed is the constant ego based scab picking where someone will have a blow up with someone else and then for weeks, months or even years later will pick and pick and pick at that person at every opportunity just to sooth a wounded ego. Even to an outsider these jabs are obvious and yet the offenders are not warned nor are the words deleted and this seems to feed the frenzy. Everyone knows they can sneak one in here and there and nothing will happen. I've noticed times when my own threads were hijacked within 2-3 replies by warring parties using my thread as a ground to make further war on. In the end I got nothing helpful and regretted even posting. Yes, I'm also one no who posts less and tries to go other places for my answers before asking in here.

Yet another issue is the ever arrogant, magical, mythical and ever changing bar which we are all supposed to live up to in order to own a bus.  I've seen it countless times, "if you can't and won't do this like I do then you shouldn't even own a bus...." How about if we all allow each other to do these beasts as they see fit? Isn't the point of this forum to read and learn better ways? If there is only one way then what's the point? I only say that if you can't or won't pay the money to buy a bus then you probably shouldn't own one. The rest is negotiable over time. That seems to be how 99% of us do it.

I think that if everyone just tried to keep in mind that we are a pretty strange and unique group for our interest in buses and band together as a band of brothers in the interest of our buses and recommit ourselves to helping each other here or in person it would go a long way towards re-cementing the bond that we should all have.

I've had Dallas snap at me a time or two in the past, he can be that way and there are some mitigating factors but I didn't take it personally. Dallas was..IS a tremendous asset to this group.  Dallas is a good man, I've never met him but I've spoken to him many times and we cannot afford to lose him or the others like him including ones who war with him, you are all valuable to guys like me. We've had some clowns come and go which really didn't contribute to the group but Dallas more than contributed. Dallas has forgotten more than I'll ever know about these things.

How about if we all man up ( or woman up ) and grow another layer of skin and how about if we all stop the petty fights and attacks and work instead to build this group into what it should and could be?

Whewww,watch that first step off the soap box. It's tricky!!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 09:57:46 AM by Paladin » Logged

'75 MC-8   'Event Horizon'
8V71  HT740
Salt Lake City, Utah

"Have bus will travel read the card of the man, a Knight without armor in a savage land...."
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2009, 10:12:03 AM »

This forum has already lost some of its value as many very knowledgeable busnuts have left.  There are a dozen or two who have left and some that haven't left, but no longer post anything.

Unfortunately, I can't give any input on two strokes or older buses because I don't have a two stroke and my bus is fairly new by busnut standards.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 10:13:37 AM by belfert » Logged

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
NJT 5573

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2009, 11:33:37 AM »

Well folks,

Its gotta be hard to be a moderator and a contributor at the same time. Its also hard to be a jack of all trades and knowing when you are out of your element is important. Hopefully Dallas had outside infuences that were upsetting him that he will recover from, and he will return soon with a more relaxed attitude.

I don't feel he has made any lasting enemies I'm aware of. Perhaps without the burden of being a moderator Dallas will return and continue to share his valued experiences with us.

Dallas is an old Trucker who knows his way around and I know he's not going to let the small stuff upset him for very long. Getting kicked around is a way of life in Trucking and anyone who thinks Dallas will stay down or angry for long is really betting against the odds.

Larry

"Ammo Warrior" Keepers Of The Peace, Creators Of Destruction.
Gold is the money of Kings, Silver is the money of Gentlemen, Barter is the money of Peasants, Debt is the money of Slaves.

$1M in $1000 bills = 8 inches high.
$1B in $1000 bills = 800 feet high.
$1T in $1000 bills = 142 miles high
Don Fairchild

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2009, 01:57:30 PM »

Dallas or Cat;

If you are reading this please contact me. 

Thank You

Don
Airbag

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2009, 02:02:22 PM »

I hope I did not have anything to do with it. If I did I am sorry and take back anything that may have offended him or anyone else. I was born with my foot in my mouth. He seemed like an Icon here and I really loved reading his posts. He has forgotten more than I know.
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2009, 03:01:48 PM »

Guys,

I just read this.  Pity I can't agree with nearly every blessed post as it was posted cause then the number of posts would be doubled.  Luvr....Cliff....that means, translates,  I agreed with each. Huh LOL LOL

Dallas and Cat would have a spot next to my house and I would install 220V and a sewer connection just for them.....as a friend did for me long ago. I have absolutely no space to do that, tough, at this time.  I value a mans history and I really hate to hear "so what have you done for me lately?".  Maybe being a Vet has something to do with that but I can vividly remember having that mindset as a teenager.  Dallas fits that mold for me.  He is known to have been of great help to many that were in need and many that only "wanted" help.  He has been generous, as i have observed and heard, with his assistance and good council.  Sometimes a guy will assume that if he has expertise in one area then he has it in all and he is impatient with any perceived criticism.  I can tolerate a lot of that when it is directed at me personally.  The rub comes when an innocent is maligned unjustly.  I see that intolerance in quite a few on this board and I am proud to associate with you anywhere and any time.

It was said here that people can't see your body language in this mode of communication and that is true.  Much more so for some than others.  It is called a flat medium.  In the past, professionally, I have had people say to me that what I wrote was harsh in the extreme but they had "assumed" another interpretation because they knew me and believed that I would not have said anything like that even though they were looking at it in black and white.  When asked in person, and hearing my explanation, they agreed it had gone right past them and I had to agree that they were correct in suspecting.  It is my shortcoming and suggesting that someone "ask" before assuming the worst has never born much fruit.  People seem to be spring loaded to the offended position often.

About me.  And I know this post isn't, per se.  I have only nearly been arrested twice in my life and both those cops had the cuffs out.  That I wasn't is in no way thanks to my efforts.  The first was a summer evening when I was getting gas at the neighborhood filing station.  I watched a man repeatedly slap and punch his 5'2" wife and tear a 4 year old boy from her arms.  A couple men on the scene were trying to calm this guy down but he was in full rage.  I watched as a friend, only a couple days out of appendectomy surgery, went across the street to try and talk sense.  For his trouble he was kicked in the stomach.  The guy went over to his camper holding the child by the arm at the shoulder, he opened the door and to my horror he threw the child thru the rear door OVERHAND and I heard the kid hit in the front of the camper with a blood curdling scream.  I started walking towards the scene, not running, the world became silent and my mind was still.  He was still hitting his wife to keep her from going to her child.  I nearly beat him to death with my bare hands.  He had a fractured neck, concussion, broken jaw broken ribs and internal bleeding. I ended with throwing him in a culvert.   Still, after a half hour, he was up and leaning against his truck but not coherent.  The sheriff arrived and arrested him and cuffed him in the cruiser.  Taking his report I just stood there and looked at the sheriff.  When he came to the part about "who did this to your husband, Ma'am?", she said it had been a short stocky Mexican that had run up the road.  Two others in attendance hurriedly reiterated her story.  When he finished his notes he stood very still and looked at me for a full 30 seconds before he left with his prize.  He knew!  I was 6 foot tall, 185 and white.  No one ever said anything to me except "Thank you, John".  

The second time I was working on my car with the usual gaggle of teenagers watching and a neighbor walked up and ,singling out a young boy,  proceeded to threaten the kids with a severe beating.  I stopped working and asked that he listen to what he was saying to a child.  He asked "do you want some of this?".  I answered "Yes! I want all you got, stud.  I never punched that guy.  I slapped him into a 180 maybe 15 times and kicked him in the @$# the same number to get him to turn back around to get reslapped.  It had to look comical.  My neighbors came out in droves for the event of my pending arrest for assult with intent.  My neighbors cornered the cops outside my hearing.  It turned out that this freak had threatened to shoot kids in the neighborhood and that included my daughters.  He said that with a Ruger six shooter on his hip in a holster.  Cop (Sergeant) said that my neighbors had all agreed that I was not to be informed of this guys bad deeds for obvious reasons.  He also gave me his card and told me that I should call the number he wrote on the back if the "@$# hole" so much as spits on the sidewalk or says "$#!%" in an audible tone.  He shook my hand and said it had been his pleasure.  Nice guy and he had put the fear of God in the jerk with the threat of 8 counts of threatening a child with a loaded firearm, 8 counts of assault and child endangerment, etc, etc.

I talked to a shrink about these incidents at the VA.  He had a lot of long words but it boiled down to I won't tolerate anybody bullying an innocent in my presence and my safety isn't an issue.  There is a scene in Lonsome Dove where Tommy Lee Jones beats this horse steeling Army Scout nearly to death and after wards he said "I hate rude behavior in a man....I will not tolerate it".  I identified!  I am long past ever being able to repeat those performances but the spirit is still there and I suspect it always will be.  The things I read being said to Brian, I thought, were mean and unwarranted.  As well, Brian was castigated for saying things he never did.  But, still, I can go overboard as well and maybe this was one of those times.....maybe.  You can be sure of my intention, though.

I doubt Dallas does "sorry" very well.  Just strikes me as he wouldn't.  I have many friends that can't say that, also.  I am a lot like Brian in this regard, I start out with "I think this is right", it is "what I have learned" and "if anybody has conflicting info please share it".  That is not to say that you can call me names for expressing an opinion that hasn't been thoroughly researched or might be wrong or discourage others from venturing an opinion.  But, if you need to hear it from me....Dallas, I am sorry you are gone.  Not so much for my sake but for all on this board that have and might in the future benefit from your sage advice.  You are highly valued by many here and you have earned their respect and gratitude.  I hope we can sort through how this got started and also how to intercept it.  Perhaps we can gain benefit we can apply elsewhere in our lives.  I know, speaking for myself now, I need all the help I can get.  You can feel free to call me to chat.  My phone number is listed with the board and also my emails.

Never forget: Thank God for unanswered prayers.  "Welcome back" in case I am not here when you arrive.

Sincerely,

John

« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 03:04:15 PM by JohnEd » Logged

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2009, 03:21:42 PM »

Hey Dallas, if your angry because I flipped you off on the freeway yesterday, don't be.  I thought it was Cody!

You don't have to believe everything you think.
NCbob

"Foolish Pleasure" 35' MC5A

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2009, 03:32:48 PM »

Aw Phooey! Dallas, Phil and Nick were cornerstones of this Board when I was a puppy in this bus business.

Jackie and I met them at the second Timmonsville rally , along with Ace and Susan, and more firends than I can recall in my doddering years.

Cat, bless her heart, is one of the most caring people I've met in years and her passion for posting Birthday wishes will be remembered by so many of us.

Dallas, now there's a  paradox. When I first met him it was in the Chat Room. It didn't take long before I felt we were joined at the hip....brothers so to speak...because I'd think of it and he'd mention it. Man! It was S-C-A-R-Y!  We just had a lot in common.

And, at Timmonsville, we seemed to cement together.  I didn't look toward him as a Mechanic...just another BusNut. Two years ago we went to Kyle's 'Non-Rally' and Jack & Paula Conrad, Ned and Wilma
Sanders and Dallas and Cat followed us back to our home town, Franklin, NC to spend a few days.

Dallas had to make some much needed roadside repairs to the "Jed Klampitt Special" but we made it and had a great 3 days. We even picked and grinned for a while.

There's no question in my mind that they're having hard times....who isn't? But my greatest disappointment is to hear that they've left the Board.

As an 'old timer' I ask them to reconsider because they have so many friends. If they don't return, I wish them well and 'enough'.

NCbob

True friends are difficult to find, hard to leave and impossible to forget.
cody

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2009, 03:48:38 PM »

Lin, it was me, I waved back lol.
Stormcloud
FMCA#407220

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2009, 03:53:09 PM »

Although I havent yet had the pleasure of meeting Dallas, Cat, and a host of other nuts on this forum, I have chatted with plenty of you;  Donna and I have also met some really great people that post here as well. Even though we may have not met in person, I feel a friendship with many here that hopefully will continue for years.

Those who have left the board, both unintentionally and also by choice, are missed both for their expertise and willingness to share their knowledge.

Mark

Mark Morgan    near Brandon, Manitoba, Canada
1972 MCI-7     'PapaBus'  8v-71N MT654 Automatic
oldmansax
Tom & Phyllis

'82 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2009, 04:06:10 PM »

All I have to say is

It's a SHAME!

TOM

'82 BlueBird WanderLodge PT40 being rebuilt
Delaware

DON'T STEAL! The government hates competition!
uncle ned

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2009, 06:08:34 PM »

Bob  You said it all    great bunch of friends  and a great weekend was spent by all.

uncle ned and wilma

cat is super has to be to put up with dallas   
Friends forever

4104's forever
6v92 v730
Huggy Bear
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2009, 06:33:15 PM »

Argh?!?!?

What did I did now? Shoot just blame me everyone else does! Grin  BK  Grin

Dallas & Cat you know the name, #, & location! sincerely! B.E.G. Jr.

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Sojourner
Jesus Love You!

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2009, 05:43:44 AM »

Well Dallas if you are reading all of these good posts…If you are…we need that genuine old bus nut to be back here where you most qualify to satisfied us bus nuts.

Anyone who have been seeing & reading this board for a few years will know Dallas is an old pro in the jack of all trade man. He can (and he will if Dallas can be there) do any of the broken down bus nut’s problem on the road. He an old mechanic pro with a heavy heart. He is not afraid to tackle a new problem. I am sure he does this effort to gain more knowledge.

I never met Dallas & Cat but I can relate to him because Dallas shows his desire to help anyone if all possible. Nobody is perfect but he will correct anything if it not right.

OK,
I've been asked about a dozen times to postpictures of my bus. You asked for it, You got it! She ain't pretty but she's mine!

that being said, I've had a few people tell me that they don't want to bring their buses to a Rally, ANY rally because they aren't done, or they aren't up to snuff, or they did it their way, or, or , or.....
Heeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeessssss, MILLIE!

Heeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeessssss, MILLIE!

My definition of a bus nut is a person who loves to own a bus to have the freedom to travel and live in wherever it is parked without any fancy wheel or paint job or whatsoever.

To me…Dallas & Cat are most qualifying as in the category of the Bus-Nut.

Gerald & Lynette

BTW…about the lost bus manuals in your computer…I have only the OEM hard copy of GMC PD-4107/4908 and photo-copy MCI-8 shop and OEM MCI- 9 parts manual. I can scan anything you need and sent.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 05:49:32 AM by Sojourner » Logged

http://dalesdesigns.net/names.htm
Ps 28 Blessed be the LORD, because he hath heard the voice of my supplications. The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: