Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 26, 2014, 12:15:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: tag axle update  (Read 3264 times)
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2009, 11:43:55 AM »

My problem was not a frozen tag axle, but an axle with way to much play, so removing the tag axle was pretty easy. Removing the bushing was accomplished with a saws-all and a 12" blade. I cut several slots in the bushing and went to work with a long cold chisel. After removing the old bushing, I polished the inside of the cross-over tube with a cylinder hone. I put the new bushing in the freezer overnight and left it in there until I was ready to install it. I coated the inside of the crossover tube with light oil, grabbed the bushing out of the freezer, aligned it in the opening, and with a friend holding it in place with a gloved hand and a piece of oak over the end of the bushing, I drove it in place with a sledge hammer. Make sure everything is in alignment and have everything ready. Once you start driving it in place, there is no starting over.  Jack
PS: this procedure was explained to me by a friend that changed a bushing on his MC-7

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
busshawg

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2009, 12:28:39 PM »

excellent description, make sense. I take it, it must have been a good friend, haha. Not sure if anyone will trust me with a sledge hammer. Must have been quite a job getting the old one out. I'm not sure if I'll have to replace it yet, I suppose it all depends how things look when I finally get it apart.

Thanks

Have Fun!!
Grant
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: