Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 30, 2014, 03:22:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cheap tires in Las Vegas?  (Read 5743 times)
Sean
Geek.

'85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"

Ignore
« on: August 20, 2009, 10:03:53 PM »

We're in Vegas for a couple of days, and I need a new set of tags.  Where by "new" I mean "new to me."

We take 12R22.5's, and I am loath to put brand new shoes on the tag axle.  So really I am looking for something used, less than, say, four years old (by DOT date code), and with legal tread left.

If anyone has personal recommendations for tire shops in the Las Vegas area, please let me know by, say, mid-day Friday.  We're at Sam's Town, so someplace here in the Boulder Highway area would be ideal.

Also, I need a couple gallons of 40 weight, if anyone knows who stocks it around here.

Thanks.

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com

Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
Buffalo SpaceShip

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 11:12:18 PM »

Sean, I can't help you with tires in Vegas, but any NAPA can get you Rotella 40wt. It might take a few hours to get it from their central warehouse, so call it in to make sure.  Like most things NAPA, be prepared to over-$pend, but sometimes you need parts (and oil) quick.

HTH,
Brian

Brian Brown
4108-216 w/ V730
Longmont, CO
Sean
Geek.

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 01:45:30 AM »

Thanks, Brian -- I probably was not clear in my OP.

I'm looking for someone who stocks it on the shelf.  Waiting for it from a warehouse is not in the cards for us, I'm afraid.

Yesterday, when we stopped for the night 15 miles away, I called the Napa in Tonopah to make sure they had 40-wt in stock.  He assured me he did, and I told him I would be in today for a couple gallons.

When I walked up to the counter this morning, he looked stunned.  The mining operation had come in first thing in the morning and cleaned him out -- he had forgotten all about my call.  I then ran all over Tonopah looking for 40-wt., to no avail.

My experience with Napa is that only stores with active 2-stroke customers actually stock 40-wt.  (Ironically, that means that the same miners that yanked it from under me this morning were the very reason it had been on the shelf there at all.)  Therefore fewer and fewer Napa outlets actually have it on the shelf.  The vast majority, when asked, can have it "tomorrow" (as was the case with the Tonopah store this morning).  Usually, "tomorrow" we will be 150 miles away.

Such is also the case with our stay here in LV.  I will call around tomorrow morning -- Napa is always my first call, since they have the best chance of actually having the stuff, followed by O'Reilly -- to see if anyone has it on the shelf.  However, if they don't, we won't still be here on Monday when they'll be able to get it (although there is a very slight chance someone could get it by Saturday if asked on Friday).

Incidentally, by way of illustrating just how few 2-strokes are on the highway these days, I will share that when we hit the road five years ago, we could find Rotella 40 in perhaps four out of every five Napa stores we tried.  Today, it is more like one in five.  Most times, the counterman just looks at me with a blank stare, and asks why in the world anyone would use a single-weight oil -- many of these guys have never even heard of a 2-stroke diesel.

FWIW.

-Sean

Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 05:48:04 AM »

Hey Sean,
I just thought I'd give ya a little bit of info for obtainium from NAPA's.
In a large city like Vegas they usually have a main distribution center and will be able to get it anytime of day.
In smaller citys like ours if you order it before 9:30-10:00 AM they will get it on the afternoon truck same day! We do it all the time.

Now just in case those scenarios won't work, look up oil distributors online and call one of them will have it or be able to tell you who does! FWIW
Have a great day!
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 06:12:54 AM »

In Abilene TX NAPA and O'Reillys did not stock any 40 wt. but a local oil distributor has many cases of Rotella and Chevron. Needless to say I bought enough for two oil changes, and the price was great.

Whoda thunk it in this little town! Wink

Paul

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
johns4104s

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 06:54:03 AM »

Ihave seen it in Walmart.
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 07:01:58 AM »

Sean, you might call Gary at B&B Coachworks in Vegas.  Chances are good he knows all the local sources.  Seven O Two Ate Seven Tree Foe Foe One Fife
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2009, 07:15:49 AM »

Sean,you are a couple of miles away from me, give me a call if you like @ seven  0 two six six four 42 six 5 might be able to help,will check here in boulder city ,think we got some here at car quest. How much do you need?

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
Van
Billy Van Hagen

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2009, 07:31:06 AM »

Sean, just checked here in Boulder city , they have six Gal of delo 40,how many you need?I'll pick them up for ya.
 also there is a little outfit located caddy corner from sams, boulder Hwy, btwn Nellis and Flamingo that deals in pre rotated tires, might check with them ,gary at BB is cross town (arville,Trop).Let me know should I pick up the 40 oil,have to come in town this morning,and will bring it with me ,I'll only charge you the usual rate(Howdy and a hand shake) Smiley

Van
Billy Van Hagen

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2009, 08:32:55 AM »

Ok after doin some searching , Cheyenne auto parts 1525 e.tropicana 702-435-7122 called them and they will have 2 gals waiting for you @ 11:00 am
Directions,they are less than 2 mi from you . from sams ,left on nellis then left on tropicana just past the auto zone on the right.good luck

Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2009, 08:48:15 AM »

Hey Van,
Great job sourcing the oil for Sean. Just one slight piece of advice on the subject! Since Dallas is not here to give his usual warning about being sure it is CF-2 rated, I'll do it for him! Delo is good if it is the Delo 100 40W not the Delo 400 40W!
FWIW Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Van
Billy Van Hagen

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2009, 08:52:55 AM »

Good pernt,the delo here in BC is the 100 type,used it last year when I brought the bird down to Clifford's, I think Sean preffers the Rotella if i am not mistaken Grin

Sean
Geek.

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2009, 09:12:27 AM »

Thanks, Van and everyone.  I will run down to Cheyenne after 11.

BTW, I use Rotella mostly because it is easier to find in SAE-40, not due to any real preference.  In a pinch, I will use any CF-2 rated oil that I can find.

Oddly, Delo-400 seems easier to find in straight 40 than Delo-100.  I say that's odd because I would think most folks still using straight 40 are running 2-stroke Detroits, and, as noted, Delo-400 does not meet the spec (IIRC, the sulfated ash content is too high).  I have to imagine many simply do not know the difference; here again, I've had counter clerks give me a blank stare when I asked -- to them, Delo is Delo, they never even noticed the number.

I'll be calling around for tires the rest of the morning.

-Sean

Van
Billy Van Hagen

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2009, 09:21:06 AM »

Hey glad to help.Incidently ,I call ed our BC store and what they have left is the 400 delo an the warehouse said they no longer cary the 100 for some reason,go figure! Sean you are good to go at the trop store  Wink how long are you gonna be in town ,would love to come meet you guys and maybe get a few photos of Mr Neo  Grin

P.s Bryce,good lookin out buddy,ya dun em' proud Wink

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2009, 09:26:36 AM »

You guys better read the delo 400 40w specs on the jug states very plain meets DDC and MTU 1 and 2 specs the 15/40  Delo 400 doesn't.All C rated oil has less than 1% ash per EPA     

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: