Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 27, 2014, 01:53:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why??  (Read 4151 times)
Airbag

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2009, 05:54:58 PM »

Bob
I always call them at MCI and when I tell them my bus model number I always get transfered to some guy in a musty old library smoking a pipe and sitting in front of 100 year old roll top desk ( at least thats the image I conjer up). They love talking old buses and are very helpful when it comes to finding P/N's delivery the parts is another story but they are fun to chat with.
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2009, 06:14:15 PM »

I have not found the MCI catalog on line does any body have the url?

There is a link on their website (mcicoach.com), but like BK said, you pretty much need the part number first.  I get the part numbers from my Dina parts book when I can figure out where to find the part in the book or I just call for the part number.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Bob Gil
Bob Gilbreath bobgil@sbcglobal.net

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2009, 12:04:08 AM »

many thanks

I hope I don't have to get any thing else from them as I do't fave a vin number of much more to go by on my bus.

Fort Worth, Texas where GOD is so close you don't even need a phone!

1968 GM Bus of unknown model 6V53 engine (aftermarket) converted with house hold items.

Had small engine fire and had no 12 volt system at time of purchase. 
Coach is all 110 w 14KW diesel genrator
Ednj

Ed & Sue Skiba

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2009, 04:17:33 AM »

I got some 24 volt MCI lights from Luke at US coach he has them in stock.

MCI-9
Sussex county, Delaware.
See my picture's at= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/busshellconverters/
That's Not Oil Dripping under my Bus, It's Sweat from all that Horsepower.
----- This space for rent. -----
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2009, 05:02:19 AM »

I hope I don't have to get any thing else from them as I do't fave a vin number of much more to go by on my bus.

They usually do like the last five of your vin. It lets them know exactly what you have.

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2009, 05:17:53 AM »

Bob,
Try JD @ C & J Bus Repair 1-800-228-7349 he'll have what ya need and it'll be cheaper too! Oh yeah they do have an online catalog too.

I don't have the website url handy but just google them it's there!

C & J Bus Repair
9010 Pillsbury Ave. South
Bloomington, MN 55420
1-800-228-7349

And actually the guy in parts can do as much fer ya as JD. But when it comes to advice on buses JD can be a great asset!
FWIW Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Runcutter

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2009, 09:12:30 AM »

Bob, is a 30-40 mile drive to the MCI service center in Dallas starting to look like an option (of course, bringing the sample part with you)?  If you decide to do that, contact me - maybe we can grab lunch.  I'm only about 12 miles away from there, and there are a bunch of restaurants. 

I also may have missed something here -- what convinced you that they were originally MCI parts (as opposed to Eagle, something else)? 

Arthur

Arthur Gaudet    Carrollton (Dallas area) Texas 
1968 PD-4107

Working in the bus industry provides us a great opportunity - to be of service to others
Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2009, 09:19:19 AM »

Arthur,
I'm guessing and this is only an educated guess! That he has found the MCI part # on it! FWIW
Grin  BK  Grin

www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Bob Gil

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2009, 10:27:00 AM »

Bob, is a 30-40 mile drive to the MCI service center in Dallas starting to look like an option (of course, bringing the sample part with you)?  If you decide to do that, contact me - maybe we can grab lunch.  I'm only about 12 miles away from there, and there are a bunch of restaurants. 

I also may have missed something here -- what convinced you that they were originally MCI parts (as opposed to Eagle, something else)? 

Arthur

I found the MCI part number on it.

I have not had the time to drive over there so I tried to drill the broken bolts out and the nuts came out of the plastic so I bought new bolts and nuts and I am going to go back with them.  I took the soirdering iron and melted the plastic back around the new nuts and it looks like it might work as good as the new one would have.

I don't think the vin number would help as my bus is a 1968 GM in the first place.  I assume the person that put the caps on both ends got them from MCI sine they are the supplyer of the lights that are in them.

Arthur I have not gotten it inspected yet I have had some other things come up the bus is setting at Cowser Tire on the south side of loop 820 by the freightliner house (Between Mark 4 parkway and Bluemound Rd.) you can see it from the freeway if you are over this way.  That is only about 2 miles from the house and the city is giving me a hard time until I can get it inspected and then I can bring it back home.

1968 GM Bus of unknown model 6V53 engine (aftermarket) converted with house hold items.

John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2009, 10:56:20 AM »

I don't think the vin number would help as my bus is a 1968 GM in the first place.  I assume the person that put the caps on both ends got them from MCI sine they are the supplyer of the lights that are in them.

That makes sense. I didn't notice that you had a GM (before it was government motors).

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
Chuck Newman

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2009, 11:30:28 AM »

To All,

As a recent purchaser of lots of MCI parts, the online parts store (as MCI calls it) now requires an account with MCI.  And of course, it requires log on name and password.  But I have found it is not well maintained.  About 50% of the items I have purchased in the last 7 weeks from MCI (via telephone order), are listed as not available in the online store.  It may have been accurate in years past, but since their Chapter 11 the online store is way out of date on many items.  I have noticed they DO keep their newer bus parts and numbers up to par.  OK if you have a J or G series bus.  Use the 800 number in Kentucky.  Again, I'm on the road and don't have the number with me.  By the way, you need an account number with MCI to order on the phone also.

Shop around.  I just replaced my bags.  MCI wanted $165. each, and of course they were out of stock.  I called Mohawk.  They had all in stock for $106. ea.  And they are the same Goodyears MCI sells.  Saved substantial money getting shocks from them also.

But MCI is not always to the most expensive.  I purchased clearance light from them 5 years ago for about $13.00 each.  The kind with the bulb.  I recently check and the price was the same while researching converting to LED clearance lights.  Currently a single LED clearance light is $52.00, but if you buy the kit all 16 LED lights, the individual price is about half that.  Obviously, that only good for someone (like me) who is dumping all incandescent lights except head lights.

Chuck

PS: Dialight is selling a "MCI replacement LED clearance light" for about $20.00, but beware it is not a direct replacement and requires modification to make it fit properly and not leak.  MCI's version are direct replacements.

1989 MCI 102A3, Series 50, DDEC III, Allison 740D
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2009, 12:30:26 PM »

I believe MCI automatically sets up a customer account for you when you place an order.  I've found for my Dina that the online parts store is pretty up to date.  A lot of the items show not available and when I call the parts line they verify no longer available.

MCI has been nice enough to give me the manufacturer and part number when possible if it isn't a Brazilian or Mexican part and not custom to the Dina.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Chuck Newman

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2009, 09:16:17 PM »

Bob,

I was just on the Mohawk site and I found buried deep the fact they sell MCI clearance lights with bulb.  And at the lowest price I have seen anywhere.  7R-7-80 (red) is $3.27.  The 7R-7-79 (amber) is $3.16.  I've seen the bulbs alone go for that much and this is for the entire fixture.

Chuck

1989 MCI 102A3, Series 50, DDEC III, Allison 740D
Bob Gil

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2009, 07:15:32 AM »

I will have to look up the (Mohawk) and see if I can get aonther 1 or 2  I have some that are getting hard to get the screws out of.

For the cost that MCI told me I took the old one to the shop and was suprised how easy the nust came out when I tried to remove them and I was able to replace the nuts and I think they will work just fine.

The light mounts with 4 screws and the nut in the back of the light will be heald in place by the body of the bus when it is mounted.

Bob
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 07:20:52 AM by Bob Gil » Logged

Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2009, 08:09:53 AM »

Shoot Bob @ that price I'd call Mohawk Monday AM & order all reds and 9 ambers and be done with it! I can assure you that on a bus used as an RV you'll most likely never have to replace them again!
FWIW Grin  BK  Grin

www.kylakesidetravel.net

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: