Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 21, 2014, 10:40:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Changing Lanes in Heavy traffic.  (Read 3888 times)
Gary LaBombard
"Rustless Money Pit"

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2009, 04:03:23 PM »

I wasn't going to really say this until I did it but I am really seriously thinking of purchasing those large round turn signals used on the back of school buses that have the large arrows.  since I have made so many changes in my bus I was going to put left and right turn signals
 on the back of coarse, up near the top that would be visible to all long distances behind me but everyone would not question my intention to change lanes.  The signals would come on the same time as the normal Eagle turn signals. 

I know you guys with all these beautiful caps etc. on your conversions would not think of doing such a scarring thing to your beautiful buses but this is just me and my intention.  I now have a RV with a sign in the back that many truckers use and it says in a bright yellow shield with black letters, (IF YOU CAN'T SEE MY MIRRORS, I CAN'T SEE YOU).  I actually stole this idea from a RV I saw on our first trip to Arcadia and said to myself, Self, that is a great idea.  Now in my travels I have noticed that everyone stays further back from me most of the time, especially if I am towing our toad.

Our bus will never be a real show bus in centerfolds of magazines I know. But I Like the idea of being as safe as I can be for my family especially being an amateur using a bus as much as we hope to soon.  I don't plan to remove my original Eagle back cap but instead cut holes in it for a mounting fixture for the arrow type turn signals I mention above to mount.   Please don't laugh, oh go ahead, have a good one on me. Thats my plan and I am planning to stick to it. LOL.
Gary

Gary
mikelutestanski

Mikes Metal Mistress

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2009, 05:42:48 PM »

Hello  After Kansas city St louis nashville and chattanooga and minn ST paul I have figured out that size matters.  If you give an inch they walk over you.. AT times when I put my signal on the guys behind would jump out like rabbits and try to pass.   However when the cars were beside me and the side turn signal came on the drivers got nervous  and usually backed off.
     In some cities the worse problem is the onramp traffic  where they get on and 2 exits later get off.. They come on trying to play chicken and expect you to slow down.   I usuallly did until I was boxed in with big trucks and we then preceeded to go and they had to stop. After that I stayed in my lane and if possible moved over ..
   I hit rain in ST louis and Kansas city and the going was very tough.  4 lanes each way ANd in front of me was a car going from 30 to 50 depending on the traffic on either side of him.  I could not pass so we toughed it out for 25 miles before we could get by. That was around ST Louis  70 and 270 and 55
    I Have learned that for me slower is better because I have to  be able to stop my rig safely.   THe sad part is when you slow down people dive in front of you and you have to slow down more but so be it..
     FWIW     regards and happy busssin  mike

Mike Lutestanski   Dunnellon Florida
  1972 MCI 7
  L10 Cummins  B400R  4.625R
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2009, 06:36:56 PM »

Gary i kinda had the same idea for my 5A,  but i was gonna use the lenses off of an old Flx. Smiley

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2009, 06:42:08 PM »

Awww, come on Mike. Kansas city is a cake walk Grin. St. Louis can be a little different (especially going all the way through on 70), for the first couple of times.

The worst part about Midwest drivers (something that we appreciated in NY drivers), is Midwest drivers come to the end of an on ramp, and step on the wrong pedal. You guessed it. They step on the brake at the end of the ramp! They should take some lessons from the NY drivers. They know how to merge! Texans know how to merge too. Close your eyes, and hope Grin.

I guess it is all what you are used too. How did you go through KC? We do it all the time, so I guess coming through on the first time, would a little harder.

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2009, 07:11:24 PM »

It is the 2nd lane over usually for us, and I use a 5" Convex Round Stainless Steel Side Mirror in addition to regular side mirrors.  A lot of times I also have been helped by truckers when I need to pull over a lane.  And actually haven't had too much trouble w/ drivers trying to keep us out of a lane.  Pretty rare actually.  And we've put in a fair amount of miles across the country.  We just have the usual MC9 side blinkers.  And yes it does indeed seem to make the drivers nervous when they see the side blinker come on and they are in the lane.   Grin 

Kind Regards, Phil

Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9
WEC4104

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2009, 07:25:22 PM »

I think the size, quantity, and shape of the blinkers have little bearing on the lane change situation.  Impatient or oblivious drivers are really going to be affected by your signals if you make more/large signals.

I think mirrors are key.  If you know exactly where you are in relation to surrounding traffic, it gives you more options.

I try to be polite and give ample time when I signal.  More often than not, I'm just trying to merge on a highway or get off. It's not like I'm trying to race them to their destination.  However, when all else fails, and I've had my signal on for 7-10 seconds, and the guy in his fancy new car is getting more in my way instead of allowing room, I start to move over.   The guy knows full well I want to change lanes and I have yet to find a guy who will put his car up against a 50 year old bus.

If you're going to be dumb, you gotta be tough.
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2009, 09:01:44 PM »

In a truck or bus a turn signal is not a question it is a statement.   Mike

Thank you Mike!

In all my years of driving and reading about driving, this is the best way I've seen it described.

I might add in the concept of "polite statement", never the less, we're coming over, sorry and all that, but we're coming over.

After all, who stands in the way of a walking elephant?

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2009, 09:04:08 PM »

Where can a thousand pound gorilla sit in a movie theater? Anywhere he pleases!

Same, in a way with the bus. Obviously as much warning as possible, and slow lane changes. We have noticed that people give a bus much more space then they did with the van and trailer (even though are about the same length).

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
Iceni John

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2009, 10:49:58 PM »

Airbag has the right idea, but I'm thinking of going one step further.   When I buy some good air horns for the roof, I will demote my present air horn that's underneath the front and instead put it near the door, pointing out to the right.   If some moron tries to pass me on my right when I have my right turn signal on, a quick toot just as they are level with the horn should wake them up.   My pet peeve is when I am making a tight right turn that requires me to use the next lane over to avoid clipping the kerb, and with my right turn indicator on some mouth breather still thinks he can squeeze by.   And remember, my Crown is still bright yellow!   (Do these idiots try that with real school buses full of children?)

Toot toot, John
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 10:51:47 PM by Iceni John » Logged

1990 Crown 2R-40N-552:  6V92TAC, DDEC II, HT740, Jake.      Hecho en Chino.     
Behind the Orange Curtain, SoCal.
BG6

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2009, 05:39:31 AM »

Part of my intended marking scheme for the MCI is to put this on the rear:

<-- EL PASO                                         EL CRUNCHO -->
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2009, 05:58:50 AM »

I am also a "put on the turn signal" and start to lean on the side you want to move too.

I have seldom, not had them slow down or speed up quickly.

I will say that having the GPS has dropped my need to do this down to almost zero, as I now know about crazy "Center lane" exits and other weird changes in advance.

One of my pet peeves is lousy signage by the DOT.  On a busy and multi-lane highway, I am always in appreciation for the arrows that let you know you will be in the correct lane when the road splits.

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2009, 05:59:59 AM »

Part of my intended marking scheme for the MCI is to put this on the rear:

<-- EL PASO                                         EL CRUNCHO -->

Now thats a keeper......LOL...... Grin

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2009, 06:02:18 AM »

My pet peeve is when I am making a tight right turn that requires me to use the next lane over to avoid clipping the kerb, and with my right turn indicator on some mouth breather still thinks he can squeeze by.  
Toot toot, John

When I have to use part of the left lane to make a right turn, I try to not leave enough room for a car to fit between the bus & curb.  I still watch for idiots on motorcycles though.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Airbag

« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2009, 06:03:46 AM »

Airbag has the right idea, but I'm thinking of going one step further.   When I buy some good air horns for the roof, I will demote my present air horn that's underneath the front and instead put it near the door, pointing out to the right.   If some moron tries to pass me on my right when I have my right turn signal on, a quick toot just as they are level with the horn should wake them up.   My pet peeve is when I am making a tight right turn that requires me to use the next lane over to avoid clipping the kerb, and with my right turn indicator on some mouth breather still thinks he can squeeze by.   And remember, my Crown is still bright yellow!   (Do these idiots try that with real school buses full of children?)

Toot toot, John
During my two year run as a school bus driver I can assure you the American driving public will do almost anything to pass a school bus including running over children. I have had many people run my stop sign but that is another subject sort of.
When making  right turns always take both lanes, in other words put the white line of the turn lane under the center of the bus making it impossible to pass on your right but watch some idiot on a motorcycle or bicycle will put themselves in harms way. Jack we posted the same info at the same time  Cheesy
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 06:05:48 AM by Airbag » Logged
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2009, 06:07:45 AM »

Jack we posted the same info at the same time  Cheesy

Hmmmmm!  Great minds think alike?  LOL

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up