Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 30, 2014, 03:08:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: We towed the toad today  (Read 983 times)
paul102a3

Ignore
« on: August 23, 2009, 05:17:38 PM »

We took our first test run with the toad today.

We ran 98 miles and the truck just sat behind the bus like it was supposed to. I will admit I was pretty nervous at first but after a while, I almost forgot it was behind us.

I have towed many a boat, heavy equipment, and large box trailers in my time but this was the first time I have ever towed something I could not see. It was rather odd to know something was there but it be invisible in the mirrors. I do have a camera so I could see it but it still seemed weird somehow.

We are pulling a Chevy 2500HD 4X4 Crew Cab with the Duramax/Allison so it is pretty heavy. I expected some feedback from the truck as we went over bumps but it was smooth as silk.

I installed the Even Brake system for the truck and while it worked pretty well, I will need to do some adjusting on the sensitivity. I generally let the Jakes do as much of the bus braking as I can. As a result, I am able to use a gentle application of the service brakes most of the time. The Even Brake system only registered the heavy application of the service brakes. On the positive side of the coin, I really didn't feel like the truck was adding much to the brake load so that was good.

I hope the return trip goes as well as the outbound trip.

Paul

2001 Prevost XL II
jackhartjr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 05:39:56 PM »

Paul, I assume you are towing four wheels down?
If so how are you doing the transmission?
Thanks
Jack

Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)
paul102a3

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 06:23:15 PM »

Jack,

Yes we are towing with four wheels down. The truck has an electronic transfer case which allows it to be locked in neutral. The owners manual for my truck has instructions for towing behind an RV and it states to set the transfer case in neutral and automatic transmission in park or first gear if the transmission is a manual shift.

It seemed odd at first that the transmission should be in park but I assume they don't want the transmission to spin.

Paul     

2001 Prevost XL II
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 06:37:32 PM »

Paul,

I don't have any comments about the towing, but I do have a comment about the truck. Sounds like a nice truck!

I have always wondered though, why somebody would get a diesel and a 2500. Why not step up to the 1 ton instead?

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 06:39:16 PM »

Hi Paul,

After 98 miles, your truck has become one with the bus... That's what I say about towing my H2 anyway!

Your most likely real close in weight to my H2. I'm 8,000#'s and I was pretty weary at first too but, as long as you

follow all the safety issues, like checking your towing equipment regularly and making sure your EvenBrake is working

properly, you'll be as safe as can be..

Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
jackhartjr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009, 06:43:05 PM »

Pul, I think I have the same truck as yours...I will check the istructions...I did not remember seeing a nutral on the 4x4 SWICHES, AGAIN i WILL CHECK.
nICK, THE TRUCK IS 6.000 POUNDS ACCORDING TO THE LITERATURE.
jACK

Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)
paul102a3

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2009, 07:33:20 PM »

Jack,

If you have the electronic transfer case with the 4X4 logo above the 2W switch, there is a small LED between the 2W and 4W push buttons with an N next to it.

To shift the transfer case into neutral, you must turn the key on (you don't need to start the engine), you press and hold the 2 wheel drive button and the 4 wheel drive low range button simultaneously for 10 seconds and you should hear the transfer case shift. The red LED will come on to tell you the transfercase is in neutral.

A good friend of mine has the same truck as I do and he never knew the LED was there until a couple of days ago when he stopped over to chat.

John, I agree about the 1 ton but when I purchased the truck there was not a 3500 to be had other than dullies and I didn't want the extra width in the rear.

Paul

2001 Prevost XL II
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2009, 07:37:16 PM »

There is the option of a Jones offset hitch.  That is simply mounting the reciever to the left or right of center so that the toad is visable in a mirror.  IF you have a lot of time on your hands you could design and build a moveable reciever so you could move toad from side to side on demand.
                                                                                                                       JIm    

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures
paul102a3

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2009, 08:08:45 PM »

That sounds like a fun project. I have actually have a spare pneumatic circuit in the bus with controls at the drivers console. I could mount the receiver on slides like the side shift on a fork lift. I could then shift the toad to the left when making tight right turns and to the right for left turns.

Would make entering and leaving RV parks a lot easier.

I will do this in my copious free time LOL.

Paul

2001 Prevost XL II
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2009, 08:51:11 PM »

John, I agree about the 1 ton but when I purchased the truck there was not a 3500 to be had other than dullies and I didn't want the extra width in the rear.
Paul

That makes sense, Paul. I agree about the dullies. If you don't need them, don't get them.

I have a 2500 GMC, with a 350 gasser engine. It has a automatic transmission, which I am less than thrilled with. It can't stay in overdrive while pulling our 10K trailer. I wish it was manual....

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: