Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 31, 2014, 11:01:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ? re tie rod ends 4104?  (Read 950 times)
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« on: September 02, 2009, 05:01:32 PM »

Hi folks, having done the spring brakes and enjoying the low cost of truck parts that fit on my '04, I have turned to the tie rod ends.  When I got the bus  I knew there was a tie rod that needed replacing. Those were the early days of my madness, and while stripping some bits out of a scrapped '04 I chose to remove the entire tie rod so that I could use the old ends.   Well I am deeper into my madness now and having found that so many truck parts are the same as '04 parts I have started to think maybe I can source new tie rod ends for the old girl.  My well appointed truck store is a ways away so I will start here.  Does the pic below or your knowledge of things truck/bus lead you to believe I can get new ends for my bus..  The ends look pretty generic to me aprox 1" i.d. where the rod threads in, one side is reverse thread like on a car.
Thanks for the help, Patrick.

84dime

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 07:50:35 PM »

sorry i dont know about the rod ends but i was wondering which trucks have parts that swap over? is it numerous trucks or just one type? thanks

Joshua Chapin
PD-4104-3946
Salem,OR
NJT 5573

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 08:19:10 PM »

I think you will be OK with truck parts. They may look just a little different, but I think they will be available. You may want to just start out at a truck alignment shop. They can probably give you a few part numbers in different brands that will interchange.

"Ammo Warrior" Keepers Of The Peace, Creators Of Destruction.
Gold is the money of Kings, Silver is the money of Gentlemen, Barter is the money of Peasants, Debt is the money of Slaves.

$1M in $1000 bills = 8 inches high.
$1B in $1000 bills = 800 feet high.
$1T in $1000 bills = 142 miles high
gmbusguy1

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 09:15:31 PM »

These tie rod ends should be rebuildable  and Luke probably has the parts to do it

Chris
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 01:30:44 AM »

sorry i dont know about the rod ends but i was wondering which trucks have parts that swap over? is it numerous trucks or just one type? thanks
So far air tanks, air fittings, spring brakes (piggy backed then onto my original cans) brake flex line from relay to can, slack adjusters, spring brake relay.  Seems most of the running gear is just universal truck stuff,  and not expensive either. 
These tie rod ends should be rebuildable  and Luke probably has the parts to do it

Chris
rebuild is an option, actually one of these is already a replacement from the original (newer different casing) which got me to thinking maybe just get new off the shelf.  Thing is if the end is inexpensive the cost of shipping + rebuild kit +my time rebuilding will exceed the cost of new (I'm in Canada, when I order stuff from the states I have to pay import fees/brokerage...don't even get me started on the time UPS tried to charge me $120  brokerage on a $75  item).
I think you will be OK with truck parts. They may look just a little different, but I think they will be available. You may want to just start out at a truck alignment shop. They can probably give you a few part numbers in different brands that will interchange.
That's what I was hoping to hear.  getting this beast ship shape is going to be easier than I thought.

Bob & Tracey

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 12:28:47 PM »

I replace our tie rod and ends with new parts from Luke... about $275 shipped. We ran into a problem however as the new tie rod was a bit too long, we had to remove 3/4" for both ends. All is well there was plenty of thread left to engage almost the whole tie rod end.

Bob

Bob & Tracey Rice    Cedar Grove, Wi. (40mi. Milwaukee)

1956 GMC PD4104
Tenor

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 01:22:23 PM »

Do you have the original part number?  Start there and use the internet to see if someone like Mohawk carries the part or can cross reference the newer part number.  You don't have to order from there, you just need the information.  Then, clean'em up good, take'em to a truck shop and have them dig out the books.  If they don't carry it, they should be able to measure all of the right points and then use the book to find one that fits.   Good luck!

Glenn

Glenn Williams
Lansing, MI
www.threemenandatenor.com
1968 MCI 7 Ser. No. 7476 Unit No. 10056
8v71
4 speed Spicer
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: