Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 18, 2014, 06:44:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Got weighed today  (Read 4401 times)
NJT 5573

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2009, 07:43:35 PM »

Eagles don't have a "ride" problem. You can put an open can of pop on the cargo bay floor and drive 200 miles and it won't spill a drop.

If you don't mind spending time in the tire shop, you can run low pressures, but you loose a lot of the tires ability to reject foreign objects.

I'm with Cliff, Eagle puts a plaque in the coaches that states the Manufacturers required tire pressures. Eagles also transfer weight from one tire to the other all the time, so a static parked axle weight doesn't come close to telling the whole story. Eagles will carry a tire over a hole in the road or pick a tire into the air if twisted, so lets not try to reinvent the wheel here.

Air ride is different, it tends to follow the holes in the road more and also has ride quality issues that may lend to using every trick you can come up with to not be beaten to death at the end of the day. If some sacrifices or trade offs are necessary to get from point A to point B, and as long as it keeps you on the bull, and the food stays in the refrigerator I guess its all good.

"Ammo Warrior" Keepers Of The Peace, Creators Of Destruction.
Gold is the money of Kings, Silver is the money of Gentlemen, Barter is the money of Peasants, Debt is the money of Slaves.

$1M in $1000 bills = 8 inches high.
$1B in $1000 bills = 800 feet high.
$1T in $1000 bills = 142 miles high
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2009, 07:54:07 PM »

Bob- you're real close to the tire pressures.  I would stay with the 90psi in front (11,680lb capacity).  Even though your drives are Bridgestone, they will have just about the same pressure recommendation as Michelin.  For your drives, you should be at 70psi (18,640lb capacity), and tags at the minimum of 70psi (9,640lb capacity) for both the best ride and maximum tire life.

Just a note to let you know I'm not talking out of my ear on this subject.  I was in Portland, Or last Tues and Wed at Freightliner headquarters to be introduced to the new 2011 year models with 2010 certified engines using Selective Catalyst Reduction (SCR) technology-using the now available catalytic converter with particulate trap-and adding the SCR which is the Urea reaction chamber.  My point to this is the Michelin factory reps were there.  I sat down with the head guy talking about tire pressures with bus conversion guys.  He specifically said not to ever run the maximum on the side of the tire, or close to it.  It makes for a smaller foot print, hence less traction.  He did say to follow the tire inflation tables for your tire size and axle weight.  The only time when you should increase the tire pressure above the suggested inflation is when you'll be driving 75 mph all day in hot weather-then increase the tire pressure by 10psi.  The only way you get cupping on a tire is to have it be below the suggested inflation, or run it when it is half flat when you don't know about it.  On my bus, the suggested tire inflation is 85psi in front and 90 in back.  For ease of inflation, I run 90psi all around.  The bus rides nicely and tire wear is even.  Running 105psi when 90 or 70 will do just makes for a fork lift like ride.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2009, 08:05:51 PM »

I'm sure glad we have an Eagle! I usually have a bottle of water next to my shifter on the floor, and it never goes anywhere. I run 100 all the way around, I like the ride, and the tires wear good at that pressure. I'm sticking with what I do. I've tried lower and higher, and where it's at is where it will stay. Did I say I like our ride! Wink

Paul

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2009, 09:31:35 PM »

I think they likely all ride pretty good.  Marilyn used to go through a big ritual unpacking of the bathroom counter before we moved but I never bothered when I was moving without her and now she doesn't both either.  All that "stuf" sitting on a corian counter is exactly where it started out when we get to our new home.  My teapot rides beside me just like Paul's water bottle.  I'm reluctant to drop any pressure out of my drives because they appear to be wearing evenly and I can't complain about the ride but OTOH I don't pretend to be smarter than the tire builders.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2009, 05:11:52 AM »

My teapot rides beside me.....

I love it! That there is the difference between a refined Canadian, and me Grin. I have my Dr. Pepper there Grin. A teapot sounds wonderfully refined and Canadian.

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2009, 08:25:31 AM »

John, He didn't say what is in it though! Roll Eyes Looks can be deceiving you know! Grin

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2009, 09:28:31 AM »

Paul, it is tea when he is driving but in the park mode it becomes Red Dog LOL

Life is short drink the good wine first
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2009, 09:34:54 AM »

Hey Clifford, was that you and Sonja we saw on Fox News at the Tea Party Express in Flaggstaff Grin,Ddn't mean to steal the thread,but tou guys were already  Cheesy discussing tea

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2009, 09:39:42 AM »

Yes it was Van along with some others from the Eagles group

Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2009, 10:15:13 AM »

My Heroes!You two are the best.All the best. By the way a little cooler today LOL. Grin. I wish we had been there with you guy's, mustta been fun Smiley

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2009, 01:20:59 PM »

Clifford,

That is great! I am glad that you were there. I wish I would have seen you.

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2009, 04:15:36 PM »

..... but in the park mode it becomes Red Dog LOL

You've got a REALLY good memory for an old guy.  We've sure been enjoying your awing this summer - thanks again.  Hope to see you this winter on the way to Mexico.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
Homegrowndiesel
Vegetable oil, Rudolf Diesel's original fuel

73-05 Eagle

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2009, 10:37:21 PM »

Well with those weights in mind I had to look at my last weigh slip.
7620 steering
5160 bogies
14640 Drives
27420 total

I should weigh it again to see how much more stuff We have on board.
It is hard to believe our Eagle weighs over 6000# less.

Aerodynamic Eagle & MCI 102a3
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2009, 03:31:48 AM »

HGD- with those weights, you could eliminate the tag axle.  Obviously you're concerned about fuel mileage with the custom shovel head front (a term from railroads) you made.  Taking the tag off would further save weight and eliminate some forward motion friction.  On the down side, maybe less stability and of course less braking.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2009, 06:46:09 AM »

HGD, I would weigh the bus again that is about what a empty 05 Eagle shell weighs 

good luck

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: