Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 01, 2014, 01:10:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, we will replace all of your E-Mags for free.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Route Question???  (Read 2880 times)
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« on: September 05, 2009, 02:57:02 PM »

We are presently sitting in a campground near York, PA.  We plan to leave here on Tuesday to head to Richmond, VA area.  Looking at the map, it looks like I-83 to I-95. There is a bypass around Baltimore (696)and DC (495).  What can I expect traffic wise on this route?  Any alternate suggestions?  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Runcutter

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 03:37:29 PM »

Jack, I work that area fairly often.  The Baltimore/Washington area 95, 495, 695 does provide you the shortest route from York, but it depends on your appetite for pain. 

If you're looking for the most direct route, you have it.  Or, you can work your way west, through Gettysburg (worth a stop), and grab 81 south.  From the Staunton, VA area, you have a couple of options to Richmond.  I'm very familiar with 81, it's a pretty decent drive.  I know nothing about the link between 81 and Richmond.

Arthur

Arthur Gaudet    Carrollton (Dallas area) Texas 
1968 PD-4107

Working in the bus industry provides us a great opportunity - to be of service to others
BG6

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 03:40:22 PM »

The wider the loop you can make to the west of DC, the happier you will be.  Figure on losing AT LEAST an hour to traffic through that area.  The only place I've been which could be counted on to be any worse was the Chicago Permajam (the section of Interstate between the Indiana state line and the toll booths on the south end of Chicago).
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2009, 04:21:32 PM »

Jack, I think if you hit the Dc area after 7 pm you'l do fine,middle lane always works for me doing the loop between the rush hours.YMMV Good luck Smiley

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
oldmansax
Tom & Phyllis

'82 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2009, 05:55:35 PM »

Jack,

What has been said about I-95  is about right. If you take that route, it's just driving...nothing to see, hardly anywhere to stop. As my Dad used to say,"You'll be wore out to a hand-hold" by the time you get to Richmond.

If you have time, there are two other routes to consider, although, unless I was REALLY in a hurry, I would not do the trip all in one day. Both routes are really scenic and offer lots of places to spend (waste) an hour or two,

You can take Rt. 30 over to Gettysburg. That is about the worst road you will have to drive on either alternate route. Once in Gettysburg, you can pick up Rt. 15 & run it all the way to Rt. 17 which will take you back to I-95.

The longer route would be to stay on Rt 30 to I-81 south, then pick up Rt 17 south at Winchester back to I-95. There is one little mountain at Paris, not much but Rt. 17 does turn right at the bottom. Don't miss the turn.

You can stay also on I-81 to Strasburg & take I-66 over to 17 which will miss the mountain. All pretty good driving and really pretty.

Whatever you do, HAVE FUN!

TOM

'82 BlueBird WanderLodge PT40 being rebuilt
Delaware

DON'T STEAL! The government hates competition!
steve5B

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2009, 07:19:15 PM »

Jack,

Off the subject, how is the new re-power working?

Steve 5B.....

WWW.WINNERSCHOICECORPORATION.COM

"It's all in the name the name says it all"
Hi yo silver

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2009, 07:30:26 PM »

Jack,
If you do decide to go through Gettysburg, if you have the time, by all means visit the new Civil War Cyclorama.  The Cyclorama and museum are in the same building, which is new, and are extremely impressive and interesting.  Just park in the bus area and you won't even have to unhook the toad. 

From there, I-81 south to I-64 east to Richmond is the best route, in my opinion.  As always if you're coming through the Roanoke area give us a call if ya got time for coffee.   540.5 nine 1. 5 two 19.  Best to you and Paula.  Have fun!
Dennis   

Blue Ridge Mountains of VA   Hi Yo Silver! MC9
gfcgfc1
The Fleur de Li's

MC7 as I found her 'The Fleur de Li's'

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2009, 11:05:47 PM »

Hi Jack ,I-95  and 695 and 495 are all o.k. as stated.Definatelytry to 'time' your passage thru D.C. 95 / 495. Morning and Especially evening rush our challenges Los Angeles as worst traffic. If you want /or need to stop anywhere near Washington .C. or even Baltimore or Northern Va. I am nearby and would really enjoy buying you a cup of coffee.I know about the Dec get together and would like to attend but I'm normally in Arizona.480 306 3598 cell if you need anything feel free to call.Have a great trip ...GFC

1972 MCI MC-7 4speed manual  Happy to have this unit.Sunny Arizona
JackConrad
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2009, 05:10:59 AM »

We spent 3 days in Gettysburg touring the battlefields, Cyclorama and museums before moving to York/Lancaster area. Gettysburg is a great area for anyone interested in American History. We toured the Hershey factory yesterday morning and kayaked on the Susquehana River in the Afternoon. We are going to the Amish area near Lancaster today and to an American Indian Pow Wow on Monday. We will try to hit Baltimore and especially DC between rush hours.  Thanks for all the tips.  Jack
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 05:16:02 AM by JackConrad » Logged

John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2009, 05:15:15 AM »

Jack,

I agree with what was said. If you hit DC in rush hour, well then you just pick your place to park tell everything is freed up. We haven't had a problem doing the big cities between rush hours. The problem is the we usually happen to run into a city during rush hour Sad Arrrggghhh.

Anyways. DC is usually fine between rush hours. We even did NYC between rush hours, and did just fine (between the daylight rush hours...the bronx looks interesting during the day, driving by on the interstate Shocked).

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
JackConrad
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2009, 05:18:03 AM »

Jack,
      Off the subject, how is the new re-power working?
Steve 5B.....

Repower is working great!  We got a chance to use the Jakes crossing the Alleghenies. Boy, Do they make a difference.  Jack

bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2009, 05:22:07 AM »

You're passing through my favorite part of the country, I envy you!

Perfect time of year, too.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
bottomacher

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2009, 05:40:09 AM »

If you take the I-81 route, you can pick up I-64 at Waynesboro-Staunton area, quite beautiful (Skyline Drive, Blue Ridge Parkway) . Then through Charlottesville, and Monticello, where you can observe Jefferson's work, which was extensive and impressive. Then on 64 into richmond. If you have time, Williamsburg is just an hour east of Richmond, and it is  still worth the ride, though more commercial that it used to be in the good old days. Central Virginia is a good place to get lost for a couple of days if you have the time; a lot of our nation's history was born there.
JackConrad
Global Moderator

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2009, 05:54:54 AM »

Hi Jack,
     I am nearby and would really enjoy buying you a cup of coffee.  480 306 3598 cell if you need anything feel free to call.Have a great trip ...GFC

What exit are you close to? We might be able to stop and have a cup of coffee at a restaurant/truck stop near the exit.  Jack

Runcutter

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2009, 07:13:18 AM »

Jack, since you'll be in the Lancaster area, remember the Strasburg Railroad (and the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania) are nearby.  Definitely worth a visit.  Strasburg is the oldest continually operating common carrier railroad in the US.  Known in the railfan community as a class steam operation.

Arthur

Arthur Gaudet    Carrollton (Dallas area) Texas 
1968 PD-4107

Working in the bus industry provides us a great opportunity - to be of service to others
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: