Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 23, 2014, 03:11:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiser’s website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Blew an Air Bag..  (Read 4200 times)
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« on: September 06, 2009, 09:03:22 AM »

Hi Guy's,

Took a quick trip in the bus this morning and all was good when I left. I stopped at a traffic light and noticed I was leaning

to the passenger side. I returned home and figured out that my passenger side drive axel was hissing air real bad. Sure enough,

the forward bag on the drive axel was cracked. Well, I never tackeled an air bag job before! Do I want to? Should I replace all

of them? I think Luke replaced the bag on the drivers side when I first purchaced the bus back in 04'

I may not have the proper equipment to tackle lifting/jacking/supporting the the weight of the bus at my shop. ??

Can anyone give me input as to what's involved to do it myself?

Thanks
Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 09:20:11 AM »

Nick,

replacing a bag is easy. Getting to it is the hard part: jack the axle up, take the dual wheels off. There is only 2 nuts on the top and 2 on the bottom. If they give you any aggravation, cut them off with an angle grinder, sawsall or torch. Install the new one and reconnect the air line. I would not replace them all, unless they look old and cracked.

Good luck,

JC

JC
Invermere, BC
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 11:44:35 AM »

Nick, i replaced all of my bags on my 5A a couple of years ago while healing up from a dislocated shoulder. Mine have a bunch of bolts, (something like 14-16 i think ) on both the top and bottom.  I had to be careful of how i moved around so i didn't hurt myself some more, but even with that the job wasn't bad.

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
NJT 5573

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 12:10:26 PM »

Rare, but it happens. Air springs are built from steel cords like a tire. More often they are somehow cut, so make sure the axle is not walking around or a foriegn object hasn't sliced it. I don't remember a wall failure ever, usually they rust out at the bottom and don't hold air any longer.

"Ammo Warrior" Keepers Of The Peace, Creators Of Destruction.
Gold is the money of Kings, Silver is the money of Gentlemen, Barter is the money of Peasants, Debt is the money of Slaves.

$1M in $1000 bills = 8 inches high.
$1B in $1000 bills = 800 feet high.
$1T in $1000 bills = 142 miles high
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 01:40:19 PM »

Thanks for the reply's..

I'm trying to make sence of the MCI part #'s from my manual.  Figures, there are too many...

Air Spring # 12G-1-60 or 12K-1-45  is for TMC # 6322 and MCI # 41812
Air Spring # 12K-3-11  is for TMC # 5803 and MCI # 41193 and up
Air Spring # 12J-3-53 or 12K-3-11   is for TMC # 5633 and MCI # 41078 thru 41193

OK, I have a "12/89'" TMC/MCI 102C3 with vin# 1TUGCH8A5KR007462

How do I determing which bag part #'s I need?

Help!
Nick-

Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2009, 01:53:37 PM »

Nick,

The best I can figure out, would be that you would need the first (12G-1-60 or 12K-1-45  is for TMC # 6322 and MCI # 41812). I am no pro, but here is my thinking. The last five of your vin (that MCI uses), is 07462. I would think that would mean that it is a TMC number, since the MCI would probably have a 4 in stead of the 0. Then that part number that was listed, was the highest set of vin #'s that was closest to yours.

So that would lead me to believe that it was the (12G-1-60 or 12K-1-45  is for TMC # 6322 and MCI # 41812). I would be more confidant if it was a standard 4XXXX. However, since it is a 0XXXX, that would lead me to believe that it would be the TMC (which I don't even know that that stands for).

FWIW

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
Melbo

MC8 under construction

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2009, 06:06:47 PM »

Nick

This is an easy enough job just like everyone says.

In my experience the angle grinder was a pain in the butt.

There were some bolts that were hard to see so to remove them ( they were rusty and did not think that I should be messing with them ) I used a mirror to locate them and then I used a dremel tool with the reinforced wheel to go right down the center of the bolt.

Once the cut gets started it is easy enough to finish up and each half of the nut falls off.

Good luck

Melbo

If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF
paul102a3

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2009, 04:17:51 AM »

Nick,

Call MCI about the serial number. I was just at the MCI facility in Orlando and the parts guy looked up my 1988, 102a3 serial number in their data base and there it was.

When MCI puts all those different part numbers, I now know which fits my specific bus.

Hope this helps,

Paul

2001 Prevost XL II
johns4104s

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2009, 05:12:16 AM »

Call Luke or Bill at US Coach, they will know the correct parts and will supply additional nuts, bolts, rings,etc, anything extra that you will need so you do the job right the first time.

John
Sojourner
Jesus Love You!

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2009, 05:19:19 AM »

Before you order your bags…is your air box is sounded for few more years before leaking due to the rusting or corroding being in process?

I suggest to spend your hard earn money on something that will ride better as well not to worry about the air box leaking anytime in the future or it may already has the plates installed, which mean it is already leaking. Plate in-between double billow air bag will cause harsh ride.
Rolling lobe is the better replacement for soft ride like all newer MCI’s and most trucks. It fewer bolts and easier to replace for the next time plus no more slow leaks from the seals as it gets older.

Mohawk has the kits.

Sojourn for Christ, Gerald

BTW...your tags already has the rolling lobe to see how it made.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 05:31:08 AM by Sojourner » Logged

http://dalesdesigns.net/names.htm
Ps 28 Blessed be the LORD, because he hath heard the voice of my supplications. The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him
Sojourner
Jesus Love You!

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2009, 05:33:26 AM »

Nick,

Call MCI about the serial number. I was just at the MCI facility in Orlando and the parts guy looked up my 1988, 102a3 serial number in their data base and there it was.

When MCI puts all those different part numbers, I now know which fits my specific bus.

Hope this helps,

Paul

I believe your MCI 102a3 already OEM with the rolling lobes.

http://dalesdesigns.net/names.htm
Ps 28 Blessed be the LORD, because he hath heard the voice of my supplications. The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2009, 05:42:49 AM »

Nick,

I would replace anyone that is even slightly questionable if you are doing the work.

The hardest part of the job is getting to them.

I know we both travel with a "group" with us, so better at the shop then on the road.  Wink

I know on mine it took longer to get the wheels off and out of the way then the actual replacement.

I took the opportunity to replace some air brake lines while I was in there.

Best of Luck

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2009, 06:17:28 AM »

Hi Guy's,

I'm going to tackle this myself. Shocked

Since it's at my shop allready, I give it a shot. I don't think I can make it to Luke's "35 miles" with my tire rubbing the well..

Thanks for all the advive
Nick-

lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2009, 07:28:24 AM »

I was assuming Nick's "C" model coach has the rolling lobe bags that mount top and bottom with 2 studs that are part of the bag assembly. Because the "D" bus of the hockey team's is that way. No air beams or rings, or having to plate, like the older models. So maybe I was wrong (happens to me lots), and I am sorry for not checking the facts. Changing old style bags is still not rocket surgery, it take a little longer.

JC

JC
Invermere, BC
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2009, 09:08:42 AM »

I don't even have a shop......did mine on a gravel lot. Smiley

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: