Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 18, 2014, 02:48:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Blew an Air Bag..  (Read 4343 times)
poppi

mci 8 L10 ZF tranmission; helena

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2009, 06:43:12 AM »

Nick,

Hope things go easy........... That wouldn't be HomeDepot 2X8 pine would it?

Remember Safety First

Skip

Snow disappeared......Now where did I put that bus?
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2009, 06:59:29 AM »

Hi Skip,

As a matter of fact.... Ummmm, yea

We have a costal storm putting a hamper on progress yesterday and today. I knew I should have put the bus in the shop..... Huh

Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
Chuck Newman

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2009, 05:06:19 PM »

Hi Nick,

I've been off the board a few days, but I just changed out the four drive axle bags and shocks on my '89 102A3.  Unless the other bags look great, I strongly recommend doing all four.  I also recommend pulling the shocks.  It's not mandatory but they come out easily and it opens up the work area.  It also makes easy access to all the bag and brake air lines, valves, and connectors.  In case you want to leak check and/or modify as I did.  I found a DD3 leak I didn't know I had.

On the front drive axle bags you will need either a crowfoot wrench or a heated and bent wrench to remove the 1-1/8" nut on the air line port.  As you've probably observed, you only have 4" of work space and the nut is mostly hidden by the upper bag support.  I found a standard open end crow foot would not fit, but a split box end 1-1/8" crowfoot did the trick.  The removal of the rest of the hardware is a piece of cake.

One of my copper lines/fittings had been abused previously in the bus's life and didn't want to reseal, so I converted the air bag system to DOT nylon.  I used local supplier but I was told NAPA had a supply of DOT fittings.  I like this place and their prices are equivalent to the local shop here that takes forever to order something (we don't have a NAPA store close by).  

http://www.valleyhydraulic.com/store/shopdisplaycategories.asp?id=353&cat=Push+to+Connect+Fittings

By the way, MCI wanted about $162. per bag and they were out of stock.  I got four bags at Mohawk for $103. each.  Similar savings on shocks from Mohawk.

Good luck,  Chuck

« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 05:59:03 PM by Chuck Newman » Logged

1989 MCI 102A3, Series 50, DDEC III, Allison 740D
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2009, 06:23:44 PM »

Hi Chuck,

I just got past the front drive bag's yesterday and I didn't have the crows foot box as you did but, I think I

made out just as well with my sawzall...Ha Ha.. Once I removed the rear "larger" nut, I pryed the bag mount down

and exposed the under part of the bag bolt then hacked it right off. By the time I moved on to the second bag,

It was 1/2 hour to do the same thing.

I'm installing all 6 aft rear bags and all 6 shocks new as well as 4 new drive tires. I took the bags from a friend, "ill replace" and

the shocks I purchaced from Luke at US Coach. He had a good price on them.

Thanks
Nick-

Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2009, 09:02:33 PM »

The Sawzall was my friend when I changed shocks.  Make sure to put lots of never seize on the shock bolts when you put them back in. They were a worse ordeal than the air bags.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2009, 06:03:56 PM »

Hi Guy's,

I just completed the whole job....

I wasn't easy! My hat goes off to all you guy's that do this yourselves.

Jacking and removing the old bags was the hardest part without a doubt but, not impossible.

The cooper tires look great too. And Wayne, your correct. They are made in China.

The only thing left to do tomorrow, is adjust the levelers a bit.

Here are some pics
Nick-

Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2009, 06:07:14 PM »

Just completed a test drive and all is well...

Tomorrow I will adjust the levelers in the sun light.

Here's a pic of the new Cooper Tires

Nick-

John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2009, 06:16:31 PM »

Nick,

That looks great! Good work. Your airbags are in a great position! Ours were way harder to access then yours are. Good job!\

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: