Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 28, 2014, 05:26:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Usuable Fuel Gallons from fuel tank  (Read 3373 times)
bcaddel

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2009, 07:57:44 PM »

Buswarrior
Is it the general consensus that a stick shift will average 1 mpg above an automatic?

Even at that expense, from my experiance I think it may be worth it.

Bob

Bob Caddel, Las Vegas Nevada
1971 MC7, 8V71, Allison MT654
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2009, 08:18:20 PM »

in busnut use, the practical issue is how many miles will be driven each year?

Very few busnuts drive far enough for anything to really matter in fuel economy terms in the choice of transmission.

An auto driven well will match or beat a stick driven poorly.

Drive both like the devil is chasing you (in other words, revenue service with a paid wheel holder) and the spread will hold.

Pick the transmission that your co-driver is likely to be happy with?

Once you get into the Allison World family of transmissions, and the automated manuals, everything gets blurred some more.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
gus

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2009, 11:06:51 PM »

I just returned from a 5,000 mi trip in my 4104 with 671 and 4sp manual. I crossed the Rockies and Cascades two times each and climbed some pretty impressive grades.

I found that after climbing in 4th gear and getting the engine around 200*F or slightly higher that when I shifted down into 3rd (or 2nd a couple of times) that the temp would immediately go down.

I assume this is caused by the fact that the lower gear makes the engine work less and the fan is turning faster and the coolant is circulating faster.

This same thing would apply when running in 4th instead of 5th, the engine is working less in the lower gear.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: