Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 20, 2014, 09:12:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bus painting  (Read 4471 times)
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2009, 03:04:49 PM »

Merlin, I saw some nice work on Eagle buses coming from Elkhart IN. bet you can get a good price there now since the downturn in the RV market.
I know Texas Custom Coach are having theirs painted in Elkhart now I don't know what happen between them and Star Jet.   

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2009, 04:12:10 PM »

Howdy all, just for clarification,what kind of paint was applied to y'alls coaches? Single stage or base coat/clear coat,can mean the difference of thousands of bucks between the two types and how long it takes to shoot it .

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
jmblake
Jason & Martha Blake

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2009, 07:08:43 PM »

We had our bus painted at Star Jet about a year and a half ago, It was 5 color base coat/ clear coat. We love the design and the way the colors turned out, but some of the prep work and things we discussed before hand didn't get done to my expectations. As far as cost it was around $11,500.00 and that included the fender flare's from R&M and new windshields. Jason

Chuck Newman

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2009, 09:31:55 AM »

Luvrbus is right on about the Algodones crew.  I saw a 102 in Rickreall this year that was painted in 2008.  It didn't look very good compared to older (and less costly) paint jobs from Manual I've seen.  I think the owner paid about $8k, and they didn't do the graphics like the owner wanted.  He said Manual has a bunch of kids do the prep and paint now, while he just collects the money.

I talked to several folks at Rickreall that had coaches painted by Mike and unanimously they were happy with the results. 

Chuck

1989 MCI 102A3, Series 50, DDEC III, Allison 740D
Merlin

Run away before the kids come back home.

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2009, 11:52:01 AM »

Merlin, He is a long way from you but the best in the business is Mike Wilson Springfield OR www.willyscustomconcepts.net 541-915-3866 he will let you stay in the bus expect for when it is in the booth for final spray.Another good thing about Mike he will honor his lifetime warranty with no hassles if ever a problem   

good luck

I've revisited a ton of bus painting web sites since I originally posted my question.  Coupled with that info as well as the much appreciated replies here, I think we will make the long drive to Oregon.  We will be full-time traveling anyway so Ohio will no longer be our home base.  One bus photo on Mike's web site caught my eye.  Ironically it is the same one on your avatar.  I'm impressed!  SUPER looking paint and graphics design to say the least.  Is it PPG or DuPont paint and how many clear coats?

I will phone Mike to make the initial contact and get a feeling for his scheduling.  I may be one of his least "flashy graphics" customers so ... maybe the cost will not whack me too badly.

Thanks guys for the replies and guidance. 

Merlin D. Moon

Bus conversion is DONE, and now the home for full-time travel.  Look for me parked in front of your house.
expressbus

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2009, 05:15:20 PM »

Merlin,

Check with this company. They have an apartment for you to stay in until the job is done. You don't have to worry about living in the bus until you drive it on down the road.
Might be worth opening a discussion.

http://www.xtremegraphics.net/

Will Garner, Jr
Southern Pines, NC
1991 Prevost Conversion by Country Coach
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2009, 05:22:50 PM »

Merlin, What Clifford says is true about Mike. If you ever saw Cliffords Eagle up close you would be amazed at the amount of detail that was put into it. The picture does not do it justice.

Paul

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
Homegrowndiesel
Vegetable oil, Rudolf Diesel's original fuel

73-05 Eagle

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2009, 05:42:25 PM »

Hello Merlin

I have my 57 chevy at Bruce Knee's & Mike Merrill's in Delaware. Both are Busnuts, and do very nice work. For very reasonable prices. They painted both of their own busses and have done numerous other paint jobs. I hope They will do mine whenever I decide on my graphics.
They have my 2 door 57 chevy on a jig rotating around, replacing the trunk, rockers, reworking the suspension and prepping for the powerplant.
I am sure you can stay except paint day.
They have experience with PPG (my favorite)  Dupont (Mikes favorite) as well as cheaper alternatives.

I would call 302-542-4464 and talk to bruce & mike.

Bill

Aerodynamic Eagle & MCI 102a3
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2009, 06:44:20 AM »

Merlin, to answer your question I don't know what system he used but it is tough.
I have a place on mine were I had the 60's moment and forgot to lock my awning and scraped some paint so I will take my touch up kit he provides with each job and have him repair it.
You will love the way he does the white roof he started that process years ago when he was painting the Prevost at Marathon

good luck
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 06:49:46 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
christopher

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2009, 03:08:23 PM »

There is a man in Pa that does paint. his name is shoope. his father did paint on buses in the 80's
i spoke with him a few years ago. i will have to dig up his number if your interested
chris
mci5c
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2009, 04:02:20 PM »

Merlin, since we are on the west coast we will have Mike paint our bus when the time comes.....have seen lots of his jobs and they are very nice.  Since you are in the east you might want to check out www.Phoenixpaintinc.com  Have heard some good things about them but haven't seen any of their work yet myself. Smiley

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2009, 06:23:06 PM »

There is a man in Pa that does paint. his name is shoope. his father did paint on buses in the 80's
i spoke with him a few years ago. i will have to dig up his number if your interested
chris
mci5c

Would that be John from Evolution coach out of White Haven, PA? If so, RUN!

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: