Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 29, 2014, 01:41:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tachometer spacer  (Read 1115 times)
NCbob

"Foolish Pleasure" 35' MC5A

Ignore
« on: July 17, 2006, 09:01:00 AM »

A while back one of our Members was discussing the need for a spacer to make his Tachometer or Speedometer fit in an oversized hole in his dashboard.  I find myself in the same situation and a search has come to Nada!

In my MC5A, I removing the center annunciator group and wish to put my Dixson Tach in that hole.  Problem...Hole is 3" ID and Tach is 2.350 OD.  I've searched to see if Dixson offers such an item and so far....no luck.  None of the local auto parts are any help either.
Short of spending all sorts of money at a local machine shop one would think that something close might be available.  HELP!

And, yes, I know I'm required by law to have a Low Air pressure indicator and buzzer.  The buzzer I have and I have ordered the Cole Hersee #3261-01 Low Air Pressure indicator from a truck outfit so that will satisfy the requirement.  It comes with a placard and a bullseye.

If anyone else has contronted this problem and can help I would be most appreciative!

Bob

True friends are difficult to find, hard to leave and impossible to forget.
boogiethecat

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2006, 09:50:39 AM »

If you can't come up with anyhting and want to send me a slug of aluminum round stock a couple inches thick (or pay for me buying one at my local metal place), I'll be happy to hog one out for you on my lathe....

1962 Crown
San Diego, Ca
NCbob

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2006, 10:01:12 AM »

Gary, I would expect that offer from a gentleman like you.  Of all our members you are way up there at the top of the list for going out of your way to assist those of us in need of help. Kiss

Thank you for your more than genereous offer.  Somehow I truly believe that there will be an easier solution.  Best, Wink

Bob

JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2006, 11:06:55 AM »

Bob,
  How thick does this spacer need to be?  Can you use a 2.35" hole saw to cut a hole in a piece of sheet aluminum and then using the same pilot hole use a 3" hole saw?  If this would work, I have some scrap .063', .090', and .125" Aluminum. I know I have a 3" hole saw and pretty sure I have a 2 3/8". Let me know, Jack
« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 11:10:07 AM by JackConrad » Logged

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
boogiethecat

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2006, 10:28:57 PM »

Hey Bob, what'llyougimmeforthis? Hows about an address ? that'd be plenty.
I found a little brass piece in my junkpile tonight, and with less than 5 minutes on the lathe,
it's now exactly what you'za looking for... custom just fer you!!!
As of now it's exactly 2.350 ID and fits into a 3.000 hole.  If you want it any sloppier
you should let me know before I send it to you...
Cheers
Gary
« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 10:36:44 PM by boogiethecat » Logged

1962 Crown
San Diego, Ca
NCbob

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2006, 04:26:22 AM »

What are you trying to do Gary, give this old man heart failure?   As usual this morning I came into the living room and turned on the computer and brought up the MAk board....and even before the coffee was finished brewing I read your post! Grin

Man!  You sure do know how to make a guy's day!  How can I ever thank you?  Certainly your talents have been showcased by your writings in the past but your kindness in making this item exceeds anything I can recall.  My cup is certainly overfilled this morning!

Thank you so much.  I will e-mail you my address off Board and attempt to find a way to somehow return your thoughtfulness.

WTIME,

Bob

boogiethecat

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2006, 07:03:30 AM »

Thanks for the kind words Bob !
It's just the "Karma" thing... I've been helped out of jams many times by busnuts in various ways.
Notably guys like Don Schwanke, Don Fairchild, Jim Shepherd, Tom C, Fred Hobe and not the least, Fast Fred.
And quite a few others both on and off the board
Some of these guys have simply taken some time out to help me with good ideas, some of them have taken time out and physically helped me.
But it's always been about helping and giving, no matter what it was
 Doing what we can for each other is what it's all about.  In that light, for me this was an easy gift to give. 
I guess all I can ask in return is to pass a gift on to someone in need, someday when find that you can...
and ENJOY !!!!
Gary
« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 07:05:13 AM by boogiethecat » Logged

1962 Crown
San Diego, Ca
pete81eaglefanasty

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2006, 10:10:14 AM »

What i did was to take a rubber connector for a pvc pipe 3 inch coupler. cut
about 1/2 off the end, then tapper the cut a little to fit into hole easily.the flange on the coupler will hold the gauge in the hole and the gauge.it's black so it matches my dash, and gauge. you can get it at any hardware store.

Pete

WHAT EVER YOU DO, OR TO WHO YOU DO IT TOO, DO IT WITH A SMILE, IT MAKES IT LEGAL THAT WAY.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: