Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 20, 2014, 03:00:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What does NFPA 1192 require for wire used in RVs?  (Read 1883 times)
belfert

Ignore
« on: September 16, 2009, 12:21:56 PM »

Does anybody know what type of wire the NFPA 1192 requires be used in recreational vehicles?  I am really tempted to just buy a copy of NFPA 1192, but that is a lot of money to find out what type of wire is required.

Sean says marine wire is not allowed.  I thought the reasoning was lack of UL listing, but every bit of marine wire and cable I have used to date is UL listed.

I'll sell my bus conversion before I would put an inch of solid copper in my bus.  If solid copper was a good idea they would have wired the chassis with solid wire.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 01:44:39 PM »

Brian,

The NFPA 1192 does not mention wiring at all except for Section 1-5 " Electrical Requirements All electrical installations, systems, and equipment shall comply with Article 551, Part A, and other applicable sections of NFPA 70, National Electrical Code.

UL Listing does not mean NFPA approved (I was confused by that for a long time).

My experience, which is considerable in this area, is that there are more failures in the crimp lugs used with stranded wire than in screw connections used with solid wire in RV use.

I would much prefer solid wire than stranded that was installed with a two dollar crimper from K-Mart.  Happens all the time and I have seen it.  I have also seen solid wire Romex installations that have lasted thirty years without a problem.

That said, I would not replace existing boat wire just to meet code.  If you are satisfied that all the crimp lugs are properly installed then there should be no problem.

Len

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 04:16:58 PM »

No two dollar crimpers here.  Several Klien crimpers or a high buck ratcheting crimper were used on all crimps.  I currently have in my a garage a very expensive Burndy crimper for crimping some 4/0 cable.  (The company owning the crimper has lots of idle tools due to the economy.)

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Melbo

MC8 under construction

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 04:26:05 PM »

Brian

NFPA references NEC and you can get stranded thhn to use in armored cable or conduit

Just a side note

Melbo

If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 04:38:20 PM »

Do they allow anything besides THHN?  RV manufacturers use Romex so I assume that is also allowed, but I would never use that.

I am hoping I can get my hands on a copy of the NEC without buying a copy.

Kristinsgrandpa

1988 Neoplan AN 340, 6V-92 TA DDEC II, HT 748 ATEC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 05:32:35 PM »

Belfert, before I'd put out that kind of money I would try the public library, ebay or Amazon.com. I've bought several used books from Amazon and they were like new.

Most library's have copying machines (it used to be a dime here) and you can copy the pages that pertain to your situation.

Ed

I'm very conservative, " I started life with nothing and still have most of it left".
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009, 06:50:08 PM »

I have decided that I need more than just a day or two to figure out what to do about rewiring my bus.  I only have 12 days before I leave on a trip so the wiring will have to stay the way it is until I get back and figure out how to rewire.

I'll use 8 AWG THHN if I need to hook up my new inverter to the current power panels.

I'll go to the library to look at a code book after I get back from my trip.

Melbo

MC8 under construction

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2009, 07:03:52 PM »

sounds like a good plan brian

Melbo

If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF
Sean
Geek.

'85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2009, 08:14:55 PM »

Brian,

If it has quality boat cable in it now, and (and this is really the rub) it is properly installed with the correct terminations, I would not rush to rip it out.  It's not to code, but it is not necessarily unsafe, either.

In the other thread, I was simply suggesting that any new wire you install, particularly high-current applications such as the 30-amp inverter circuit we were discussing, be done to code.

I have a copy of the current NEC (NFPA 70), and can answer any questions you have.  If you want to give me a call, that's fine, too -- just keep it between 9am Pacific, 12n Eastern, and 3:30pm Pacific, 6:30pm Eastern.

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com

Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: