Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 23, 2014, 10:50:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 4905 slack adjuster linkage  (Read 1539 times)
3408cat

Ignore
« on: September 20, 2009, 04:18:21 PM »

On the right rear brake, the clevis for the slack adjuster has a lever-type part that seems to cam over and lock if you push it - it also has a spring steel clip. Can anyone tell me what its for Huh Should there be one on both sides Huh Thanks for any help with this question that can be offered, Bill.
roadrunnertex

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 04:40:40 PM »

These mechanical release yokes are installed on some coaches as special equipment and should be "released" only for their inteded purpose.

The purpose of this release mechanism is to allow the release of vehicle brakes in an emergency situation and there is insufficient air pressure to release the brakes.

Using a hammer strike the release lever of the yoke.This will bend the retainer tabs,perment the lever to turn approximately 90 degrees and alow movement of the slack adjuster 21/32".
See Section 4 page 32 of the P8M4905 GMC Coach maintenance manual X-7564 01/1975.
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 04:43:16 PM »

And if any of the parts appear to be decayed by the passage of time, best to think really hard to replace them with a traditional clevis.

If it somehow releases while under way, you'll increase your brake stroke by that same amount, rending that brake pretty much useless at stopping you.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
3408cat

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 05:09:37 PM »

Thanks for the info, where could I buy one for the other side ?
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 05:19:10 PM »

I haven't heard of anyone locating a source for those quick release clevis'.

Doesn't mean they aren't out there, but no one has shared it on the boards.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

roadrunnertex

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2009, 05:38:23 PM »

Call Luke,
1-888-262-2434
Luke is a good parts source for our GMC Coaches.
jlv
3408cat

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 03:00:16 PM »

Thanks for the info, I would like to buy one for the other side - I don't think I could fit under our bus to key the cans off if she was dead and out of air, but with a set of quick release clevises, I could carry a long rod that I could reach under with to unlock them. What a great idea.
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2009, 04:21:58 PM »

Thanks for the info, I would like to buy one for the other side - I don't think I could fit under our bus to key the cans off if she was dead and out of air, but with a set of quick release clevises, I could carry a long rod that I could reach under with to unlock them. What a great idea.

It sounds like you need more than a rod to release these as they would seem to have locking tabs per Roadrunnertex.  You sure wouldn't want them to release accidently as BW wrote.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
3408cat

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2009, 05:10:19 PM »

I think that the one that is on the bus now is complete and working correctly. It did not release very easily, but if you were to put reach under and put something against and push really hard it will open. I would most likely safety tie it closed with some soft copper wire that would break when pushed open.
roadrunnertex

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2009, 06:00:10 PM »

To gain access to the release cam's.
On the back bulkhead of the 3rd baggage bin you will notice two smaller panels that you can remove on each side in front of the  DD3 rod ends.
This will let you release the brakes with out getting under the coach.
jlv
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2009, 07:58:15 PM »

If there is no air to release the parking brake....

Why do you want to start moving?

How are you going to stop?

Careful here, Darwin might show his ugly mug!!!

happy coaching!
buswarrior

3408cat

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2009, 02:08:48 PM »

I think that being able to release the brakes might be very helpful if one were towing a dead vehicle Huh
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: