Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 27, 2014, 09:27:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: polished siding  (Read 1262 times)
tekebird

Ignore
« on: July 18, 2006, 06:55:13 AM »

Question for you guys who have highly polished MCI's.

If you keep them outside (excluding the dry climate areas) do you find that they spot up and don't look as good after going through some rain storms etc.

Am considering polishing mine but do not want to add an additional chore of keeping it lookng good, as the OEM finish looks good no matter the rain.

Thx
prevosman

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 07:30:44 AM »

I've had two Prevost coaches over the last 16 years, and both were highly polished. If you wash them you need to dry them because water spots show up and look like hell, but when the coach was dried it looked great.

Other factors to consider: water running from the roof and following a regular path, such as off the end of an awning or from a corner of the window will leave a streak. Easily wiped clean, but until you do wipe it clean it is there. The slightest imperfections or scratches show up. That is the nature of any highly polished or shiny finish. One thing I would never have dreamed about is that passing cars often seem to slow down and pace the coach. I finally figured out there are people that like to look at themselves. If you think it sounds dumb or far fetched you would be surprised at how often it happens.

Jon Wehrenberg
Knoxville TN
1997 Prevost Liberty
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 12:46:07 PM »

I never thought about people looking at themselves, but I have noticed vehickles pacing us.  We poilished out the SS on our MC-8 about 6 years ago. Spent about 2 weeks/ 8 hours a day polishing, but since then a coat of wax once or twice a years is all that it has needed. 
   Our water (well) is very hard and water spots really bad. I tried one of those Mr Clean auto wash thingys and it really works!.  The final rinse through the filter inside the thingy must filter out the hardness. The water coming out of the thingy almost looks like the spray pattern from a paint sprayer. You basically "spray paint" you bus with a layer of this filtered water and very few water spots.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006, 01:14:21 PM »

Jack,

I wash my bus with my fresh water on board because I have a commercial filtering system in it.

It's a Everpure MC duel cartrage system that is designed for soda and ice machines, it filters down to -1 micron.

I think it may take too much stuff out of the water??? LOL

Anyway, it leaves no spots on the bus

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
Ace

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2006, 02:54:13 PM »

Hey guys, if you had your busses painted all the way down like the newer ones (or mine) you wouldn't have to go thru all that work of keeping her shiny!   (Just Razzin) 

I like the shiny stuff but too much upkeep for me and the time I DON'T have!

Carry On!

Ace
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2006, 03:06:01 PM »

Hey Ace, I agree with you. I personally do not care for the highly polished siding and much prefer the look of the anodized aluminum or painted.
Richard
Hey guys, if you had your busses painted all the way down like the newer ones (or mine) you wouldn't have to go thru all that work of keeping her shiny!   (Just Razzin) 

I like the shiny stuff but too much upkeep for me and the time I DON'T have!

Carry On!

Ace

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
Merlin

Run away before the kids come back home.

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2006, 03:09:14 PM »

My bus is brushed SS sides.  Easy to clean and never needs more than a bit of steel wool to put in those nice long horizontal lines.  It is a look that you don't see much on Prevost's but ... hey I march to the beat of a different drum.
Merlin

Bus conversion is DONE, and now the home for full-time travel.  Look for me parked in front of your house.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: