Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 21, 2014, 02:33:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, your Online mags will be safe.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are the best car seats for a conversion?  (Read 2822 times)
johns4104s

Ignore
« on: September 23, 2009, 07:30:33 PM »

I remember a while back(15+ years) someone saying a set of Chrysler New Yorker leather front seats were some of the best seats to mount at the driver and passenger position(next to the driver). i realise the new Yorker is quite old but what make and seats would be as good?

Thanks

John
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 07:44:06 PM »

I've heard Caddy's are OK. About any 6 way power seat should work as long as you like it.

Didn't I hear that maybe Clifford or Nick had some for sale?

I know someone did.

Paul

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
Bob Belter

Eagle 01 //Cummins M-11 Roadranger OD RTO1110

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 07:54:09 PM »

Ahoy, Bus Folk,

Cadilac Seville ~~ 2000 and newer are great.  Nice seats, and they have the lap belt/shoulder harness
incorporated as part of the seat..  (I believe that other cars and SUV's now do also).
There is 'lottsa stuff' inthe way of electical  controls to deal with.  Make sure that
you get it all, and know what to do with it.

Enjoy   /s/   Bob
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 02:00:47 AM »

I think in a bus you really need seats that have armrests on both sides. I've never come across a car seat that has two armrests, but some SUV seats do - I've got a pair of Chrysler Voyager seats in mine, which are fine albeit being more functional than luxurious. My all-time favourite seats are Range Rover seats - they're just superb in all respects. One day I will modify a set of Range Rover seats to give them armrests on both sides

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 03:12:51 AM »

I just put  some seats from a late-ish model GM pickup.  Nice and big, comfy for us, cloth, have integrated shoulder belts.  Kinda tricky to get the stock mounts off and fab up some adaptors to the swivel for the passenger side, but not that hard.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
HB of CJ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 07:16:34 PM »

Our local (kinda) friendly (mostly) inexpensive heavy duty truck wrecking yard usually had some take-outs sitting in the lobby where you paid for your stuff.

Sometimes they even had several of the same type and color with all the adjustments and air ride stuff.  We sat in them wasting time talking to the owners.

If memory serves the price was also right.  Some needed air pressure, others did not.  Bet the trucking industry has spent a lot of time with seating.  HB of CJ
MattC

Recycled DART Bus 8284

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2009, 06:04:07 AM »

Our local (kinda) friendly (mostly) inexpensive heavy duty truck wrecking yard usually had some take-outs sitting in the lobby where you paid for your stuff.

Sometimes they even had several of the same type and color with all the adjustments and air ride stuff.  We sat in them wasting time talking to the owners.

If memory serves the price was also right.  Some needed air pressure, others did not.  Bet the trucking industry has spent a lot of time with seating.  HB of CJ
Ok, I'll bite HB,

Where is down here?

=)

MCI 102A3 / 6V92 / HT740
Camping in our House LOL
WL7CQH
Tenor

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2009, 06:31:24 AM »

I just replaced my seats yesterday and have a junk yard update.  Right now, they are filled with cash for clunkers cars.  Many are like new.  Kind of a shame.  I've been there twice in the last 2 weeks and parts here in Michigan were flying fast!  Anyway, it is harder and harder to find simple bolt in replacements that fit the old swivel pedestals.  There are fewer and fewer full size vans left that had the dual armrests.  You can write off all of the Chrysler minivans, since their buckets fold up and usually have some serious floor brackets.  They are also usually a little small.  I found that the Chevy Astro used dual arm buckets in the front and middle positions and they are wide.  However, you still need to fab up some adapters to get them to fit the old style pedestal.  The passenger front seat was riveted to the factory pedestal, but the driver's seat (6 way model) will unbolt from the base.  The middle buckets just unbolt from the bases.  Take the original slides though!  The seat bottoms are curved and the old slides will not work!

Glenn

Glenn Williams
Lansing, MI
www.threemenandatenor.com
1968 MCI 7 Ser. No. 7476 Unit No. 10056
8v71
4 speed Spicer
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 07:31:55 AM »

I drove an Astro Van for an assignment I had at Gates.  Put in a lot of long days and drove 150K miles.  They were very comfortable seats.  When I built my truck conversion, I used them.

In my Eagle, there is a floor rise behind the seat and you can't fit many seats in the area (especially if they have a thick back).  I went back to my old tried and true Astro seat and I love it. 

It has two armrests, but I hardly ever use them.  I have the stock Eagle steering wheel and column and it is very comfortable in terms of supporting my arms.

I fabricated an adapter to put the seat on my air ride base.  The adapter makes it a bit high in the low position, but the adjustment with the air bag sure makes long drives more enjoyable.  I often change the seat height.  It kind of keeps me more alert and keeps my tired old body for "taking a set".

I have heard folks say the the cushy car seats get old after a few hours. 

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
í85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2009, 09:25:48 PM »

I have heard folks say the the cushy car seats get old after a few hours. 

I have heard that also.

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
boogiethecat

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2009, 03:18:00 PM »

It was me.  I got the word from Fred Hobe about the Chrysler New Yorker seats; I put them in both of my buses, and I praised them (and Fred) here more than once.
They are amazing- I can drive 12 hours non stop and not be fatigued.  If you find the right ones, they are leather, fully electric with the switches mounted on the seat (so all you have to do is hook up 12 volts) have armrests and they are with out a doubt the most comfy seats I've EVER driven in, period.  Everyone who sits in them agrees.

The best part? Junkyards sell them, at least around here, for $50 per PAIR

1996-2000 or so was the year to look for...

I mounted them on air ride platforms in my Bluebird.  I really like that....

Once again, THANK YOU FRED !!!!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 08:38:50 PM by boogiethecat » Logged

1962 Crown
San Diego, Ca
Tenor

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2009, 06:11:24 PM »

I have an update!  I just put 1370 miles on that Astro 8 way bucket and it was PERFECT!  I am using the original MCI seat base and steering column.  Best $35 spent!

Glenn

Glenn Williams
Lansing, MI
8v71
4 speed Spicer
trailblazer2
1999 Thomas Saftliner MVP

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2009, 07:01:03 PM »

Glenn;
 I bought a Astro seat for mine today as well! Did you use the complete seat;or modify the brackets like Jim described. I have one outstanding problem,at that being my Air ride seat control is welded to the old seat frame. Anybody out there got a remedy for this fix?
Bill

"I will place no value on anything I have or may possess,except in it's relationship to the kingdom of Christ"
David Livingston
Don4107

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2009, 07:18:40 PM »

I really like the cloth seats in my old Suburban.  Vintage of 1994.  Don't know if you could find a pair in good shape.  Actually I would want two drivers seats as the passenger in not power.  That would make them even tougher to find.

Don 4107 Eastern Washington
1975 MCI 5B
1966 GM PD 4107 for sale
1968 GMC Carpenter
Tenor

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2009, 07:20:20 PM »

For my driver' seat, I removed the old steel brackets from the seat and mounted the motorized rails on plates that I then bolted onto the original MCI pedestal.  For the passenger seats, I retained the astro slides and made brackets that bolted to the swivel style pedestals.  I just used some heavy aluminum diamond plate pieces I had laying around.  I suppose someone might be able to use the original "legs" if they mount flat.  

Glenn

Glenn Williams
Lansing, MI
8v71
4 speed Spicer
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: