Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 25, 2014, 08:01:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A GPS Solution  (Read 1133 times)
usbusin

'60 PD4104-4355(sold) Now Freightliner Conversion

Ignore
« on: September 24, 2009, 07:21:37 PM »

For a couple of years we have tried using Delorme Street Atlas with our Dell 15" lap top computer.  We found that the 15" screen didn't have the contrast needed to be seen in ambient light coming in from the windows.

Our solution:  We purchased a HP Mini "net book" with a 10" screen ($350) and Microsoft's Streets and Trips 2009 with GPS receiver ($69).  We have tried it out in the car so far and the wife loves it. The screen contrast seems to be very good and no problems reading it.  The GPS program is very intuitive to operate. 

I have no financial interest in Microsoft, but my son works for them; so there is my disclosure!!

The relatively large screen compared to a dash/windshield mounted GPS unit is really neat.  With ageing eyes we can read the lettering!

We also use this little HP Mini "net book" for connecting to the internet while on the road.  So it serves two purposes.

Just our way of doing it. 

Thanks for listening.

Gary D

Gary D

USBUSIN was our 1960 PD4104 for 16 years Ustruckin' is our 2001 Freightliner truck conversion
rdbishop

'68 MCI-7 892T, 740 Richard & Missy - Texas

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 09:07:10 PM »

Gary,

How do get to connect to the internet?

Richard
Sean
Geek.

'85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 09:43:48 PM »

Just remember to stow it when you get to California, where a laptop anywhere in the front seat area will get you a ~$400+ ticket.  Other states have similar laws when the screen is visible to the driver.  Dedicated GPS devices are allowed (although California also makes it illegal to fasten them to the window in any way, including those popular suction cup mounts), but real computers, even if they are running a GPS app, are treated differently.

Just FYI.

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com

Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
Eagle Andy
Cowboy Coach

1968 Silver Eagle # 7481

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 09:44:54 PM »

Gary , We also have the microsoft streets and trips and love it, I also got the truck routes and low bridges while we were otr and now I have to use the GPS part brcause my speedo is to old to calabrate lol or at least can't seem to find anyone that knows . Cool

1968 Model 05 Eagle # 7481 Miles City MT
ruthi

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 07:03:21 AM »

rd, you can connect to the internet using a mbr 1000 cradlepoint router, with a verizon internet card connected to it.Unlimited use, and can connect several computers, etc to it wirelessly at the same time. Eagle, what kind of gps did you use for truck routes, and low bridges? We wish we could find something that works for that.

Mixed up Dina, ready for the road as of 12/25/2010
Home in middle Georgia, located somewhere in the
southeast most of the time.
FIRST RALLY ATTENDED: BUSSIN 2011!
Eagle Andy
Cowboy Coach

1968 Silver Eagle # 7481

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 07:22:01 AM »

Ruthi, I got ours on line at Truck stops plus. try that .

1968 Model 05 Eagle # 7481 Miles City MT
brando4905

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 09:19:38 AM »

We have the Garmin nuvi 885T, has all trucker info.

1980 GMC H8H-649  8V71/V730 Marion,NC

"The highway is for gamblers, better use your sense" -Dylan
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 09:52:23 AM »

I looked at those little GPS screens and thought no way! Befor taking a little trip I bought an Acer Netbook, refurbished for $219 added my Streets&Trips 2006 and off I went.  It worked great. Till the GPS antenna died. I do not know how something as simple as an antenna can die, but it did. The netbook with an aircard and S&T is still a good way to go.

My friend told me to take his TomTom and try it.  I was amazed at how well the TomTom works I had many misconceptions about them.  They have some flaws but are very helpful when traveling.   I am now the proud owner of a TomTom  $69, refurbished of course.
                                                                                   JIm

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures
lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2009, 11:21:25 AM »

We have Streets and Trips and a cheaper Tom Tom. The TomTom is much better. User friendly, simple to use and easy to read in spite of the smaller size.

JC

JC
Invermere, BC
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: