Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 19, 2014, 12:54:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Well we are ALMOST broken down!  (Read 4242 times)
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2009, 09:42:55 AM »

Clifford,

We haven't put a computer on the DDEC yet. We haven't found a convenient place to do it. We do need to get a pro link, or the software. Right now we are talking about a silver leaf. Would that give us all of the same info?

So anyways, we haven't checked to see if we have any codes.

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
Chuck Newman

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2009, 10:13:54 AM »

John,

A Silver Leaf will give you the code(s) in real time.  It will not read historical, but you don't need that at this time.  Only problem with Silver Leaf is you need their J1708 to RS-232 converter box the get ECM data train into the PC.  BB and other generic converters will not work with the Silver Leaf software.  Tried it several times!

My coach has a DDEC based Stop Engine Light and Check Engine Light with a Diagnostic Request Switch to view any codes that currently in the ECM.  Their is a method to read the existing codes by counting the flashes from one of the two lights.  Same procedure you used to use on a car or truck's pre-OBD-II data ports.  I haven't done it but I can give you the procedure from my DDEC manuals.  I use the Silver Leaf VMSpc program to view trouble codes and 13 engine parameters so haven't done the flash thing on the bus.  Worked OK on my old 1990 Bronco.

Got to go for an appointment now, but if you want to try the procedure, let me know.  I would check for codes before anything else on an electronic engine.

Good luck,

Chuck

1989 MCI 102A3, Series 50, DDEC III, Allison 740D
John316

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2009, 10:21:34 AM »

Thanks, Chuck.

Ours has the same button. I do think that we will do that. If you get a chance, and it is convenient for you, I would like to know how to do that.

God bless,

John

Chuck Newman

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2009, 11:41:28 AM »

John,

First a clarification.  If you have separate Stop Engine Override switch and Diagnostic switch, use the Diagnostic switch with ignition on, engine off.  If you have only a Stop Engine Override switch, use it in the same configuration, ignition on, engine off.

Note that active codes are flashed on the Stop Engine Light (Red), and inactive codes are flashed on the Check Engine Light (Amber).

In both circumstances activating and releasing the switch will flash out the diagnostic codes; activating and releasing the switch a second time will stop the ECM from flashing codes.

When I did this on my Fords, their was a slight delay between the first and second digit of each code, and a longer delay between each code.  Get a piece of paper and write down what you see.  For me, it took a few passes to get used to interpreting the delay periods properly. 

Also in my older Fords, the code data would repeat until I manually stopped the data, as mentioned above.  If you get several repeating code numbers on your paper, you know you have properly read all the trouble codes in the ECM.

As both lights may flash simultaneously, focus on only one at a time.

If you get codes, let us know.  DDEC III has over three pages of them, and you probably have a DDEC IV which has even more.  Good luck.

Chuck

1989 MCI 102A3, Series 50, DDEC III, Allison 740D
John316

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2009, 11:45:57 AM »

Thanks, Chuck.

When we stop for the night, I will see what we got. We have a separate button labeled "check engine," and that is our "code flasher."

Thanks a lot for your help, and the post. I will let you know.

God bless,

John

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: