Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 23, 2014, 07:06:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's the best brake shoe source?  (Read 829 times)
Paladin
Dave Knight

Ignore
« on: September 26, 2009, 10:17:45 PM »

Where should I look for shoes and wheel bearings for the tag axle on my '8'? I have C&J and Mohawk, any others? Any chance of a local supplier? Napa Huh
Who would have them for the best price?

I know, will the dumb questions never cease?

-Dave

'75 MC-8   'Event Horizon'
8V71  HT740
Salt Lake City, Utah

"Have bus will travel read the card of the man, a Knight without armor in a savage land...."
johns4104s

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 02:17:43 AM »

To do the job Safely I would contact Like. Bill and Luke will take the time to match up exactly what you will need. It is so important to match the ID of the drum to the shoes, this will take the correct measurements, only you can take. Be sure and get new nuts,screws and washers.
I replace all the drums,shoes and bearings on a 4104. People said no mater what I did it would always take its time stopping. Well when I had finished it will now stop on a dim. I am now taking everything of the 04 (it is a match) and installing it on my MCI 9.

John

gene lewis

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 05:03:56 AM »

Ditto on Luke.   Wink He has helped me on a couple of coaches when brakes needed replacing.  IMHO - They are good. Wink

Enjoying the journey in NC  Grin

Gene

Work like you don't need the money; Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody is watching.
What a journey in NC.
Gene - 05 Eagle

I-95 at Dunn, 12 miles W. on US 421. Some tools and know-how. Coffee on-we'll talk buses. Bus troubles can & will assist as far as cable-toe will permit.
dickegler

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 05:06:46 AM »

Hi all,

are there different grades of brake shoes?  Seems like a softer shoe would stop faster, and a harder shoe would last longer,

What do you ask for when ordering?

I would like the softest shoe, as I don't think I would drive enough miles in an rv to ever wear them out.

Thanks  Dick

dick egler  atlanta, in  92 prevost/beaver conversion
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 05:20:14 AM »

Dave, check your bearing supply  and brake and clutch rebuilders in the Salt Lake area it be bought local along with the drums if needed.
There is no need to buy across US.
 If you have a large Car Quest in the area they will also be able to help with parts.
I buy through both Napa and Car Quest 
Check with CR England or the City of Salt Lake on where they buy brake lining it will be local fwiw

good luck

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
Tenor

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009, 06:34:35 AM »

I had no problems getting bearings from my local truck parts place.  I expect that shoes would be as easy.  Take your part numbers from Da Book.  If you need, call Mohawk and cross reference the numbers to non-mci.  All suggestions to use Mowhak or Luke are spot on.  Both companies are great.  It will cost you an extra arm though with shipping.

Good luck!

Glenn

Glenn Williams
Lansing, MI
www.threemenandatenor.com
1968 MCI 7 Ser. No. 7476 Unit No. 10056
8v71
4 speed Spicer
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2009, 08:25:13 AM »

There are many grades of linings that you can choose from.  Meritor, Bendix, Eaton/Spicer web sites should list the types of linings available.  Basically-the softer the lining, the better stopping when cold it will have, but will ``last the shortest (which, as you've said, isn't really important). The harder the lining, the longer it lasts and the more heat it can take-like dragging the brakes going down a long down grade.  If you have a Jake Brake, then the soft linings will work well. If you don't, I'd suggest you stay with a medium gray block (like the neutral linings that are installed from the factory). 
Remember-if you install specially ordered linings and if you have a leaky wheel seal that soaks the linings to the point of having to replace them, it will be a whole lot simpler on the road if you use the standard lining-or you might have to wait extra time for that special soft lining you used.
Also-most of our buses are not approaching the weight limits, so using the standard brake linings will still make for a powerful braking situation.  If you increase your braking power, but not the weight on the wheels, that will also increase the likelihood of inducing a wheel skid (not good).
On my transit, I still have the original transit type brake linings that are semi metallic-meaning they need to be warmed up in the morning to work well.  I have stomped on the brakes a couple of times and can tell you, I have plenty of braking power.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
NJT 5573

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2009, 12:28:11 PM »

Page Brake of SLC is huge in commercial brake supply, they are in Ogden too, can't imagine they can't fix you up just fine and pretty cheap as well.

Throw your shoes on the counter and if they don't have rebuilts on the shelf, they will reline your shoes probably next day. Tell them what the use is and let them put the lining they recommend on. If they don't like any of your shoes for cores, have them just reline them for your own use.

They will check the circumference and arc for you from the carry in shoes and fix you up.

"Ammo Warrior" Keepers Of The Peace, Creators Of Destruction.
Gold is the money of Kings, Silver is the money of Gentlemen, Barter is the money of Peasants, Debt is the money of Slaves.

$1M in $1000 bills = 8 inches high.
$1B in $1000 bills = 800 feet high.
$1T in $1000 bills = 142 miles high
Paladin
Dave Knight

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2009, 01:15:18 PM »

Doh! Why didn't I think of Page?
They have always been great to work with on my project cars. It's funny how the vendors and suppliers you've used for many years just don't come to mind when you work on something other than you've used them for in the past, even when it's their specialty.

'75 MC-8   'Event Horizon'
8V71  HT740
Salt Lake City, Utah

"Have bus will travel read the card of the man, a Knight without armor in a savage land...."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: