Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 22, 2014, 02:32:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vacuum flouresant Gauges  (Read 1101 times)
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« on: September 29, 2009, 12:17:31 PM »

Hey all,was wondering if any one has had any experience installing these, or any thoughts or ideas for a readable dash whilst driving at nightime, thanks all.  Wink
http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=390/category_id=71/home_id=59/mode=prod/prd390.htm

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 12:25:00 PM »

I have no experience with those, but since you asked about readability, I would avoid digital gauges in favor of analog.

With analog gauges, a quick scan without actually registering the readings on the brain, tells you everything is OK or not OK.  With the digitals, you have to actually read the number and the brain calculate the condition.

Digital is probably OK for volt meters where a tenth of a volt is meaningful, but for everything else, I prefer analog.

Len

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
skihor

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 06:58:29 PM »

I like analog also. I turn them so when everything is at proper setting all the needles point up. Looking at them while setting is wierd but while running with a quick glance you can spot something wrong.

Don & Sheila
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 09:36:58 PM »

I agree with going analog.  Another problem with digital gauges is how they present numbers that may be rapidly fluctuating.  For example, reading a digital tach on the fly can be frustrating.

If you are definitely wanting a high tech look, maybe consider going with ones that presents an enhanced analog experience using straight or curved rows of LEDs, with color coded sections to denote fault conditions. 
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 04:51:44 AM »

If you really want to get fancy, get a set of ProComp gauges like the NASCAR drivers use. The really bright backlighting changes colors with different readings. Green or blue in normal range, orange/yellow in warning range and red in danger range. The settings are adjustable.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 07:57:07 AM »

Jack,that could be what I am looking for. I  admit the high tech digital ones are very enticing and easy to read but also very pricey, I do however like the traditional analog gauges,Nascar gauges are pretty bright, no doubt a price tag to match, I just don't want to have to use the Mag light to see them at night.

Van

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 08:40:21 AM »

Van, it would help if you removed your sun glasses at night LOL or we could change your engine over to a DDEC and buy a Glass Dash from Jim that is one accurate digital setup.
I am tempted since I got approval from the banker last year but she may have changed her mind by now being she knows that a engine swap would be involved.

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 10:25:05 AM »

Clifford,

Aren't those dashes like 10K? I thought that they were fairly pricey.

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
Chuck Newman

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009, 07:50:25 PM »

Yes it is pricey.  But actually, the Glass Dash is all digital in operation, but the display shows "digitized" analog instruments.

1989 MCI 102A3, Series 50, DDEC III, Allison 740D
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: