Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 17, 2014, 10:49:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Full Timing  (Read 847 times)
Moof

« on: July 21, 2006, 12:56:43 PM »

We am making plans to be  full timers for at least a year or two right after we retire.  We have made a couple of significant trips, one for 6 weeks and 16,000 miles, and another for 5 weeks and only about 12,000 miles.  Other than the problems with our production motor homes falling apart we loved it.  Didn't want to stop.

I'd love to hear some wisdom from those who are doing it, have done it, or are planning on doing it.  What worked and what didn't.  What surprises crept up on you, good and bad?  If you loved it why, and if you hated it why?

Thanks for your thoughts
Frank @ TX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2006, 01:31:21 PM »

Hi Moof,
We have been full time since 2001.
When we want to be productive we stop and work a while ( but we want our full rate $, not flipping burgers).
The washer combo helps save time by doing the wash on the road , going down the road we make lots of electricity so we use it.
When we want to see an area we stop for no less than 1 month, it takes that long to know an area and the monthly rates at CG is a big discount.
We go to south Texas / deep in Mexico for the winters and northern states / Canada for the summer.
Our travels take us to both CA and PA to friends and famiily.
The shore line of Mexico or the deserts in the states are great but you have to build in lots of water capacity. ( dry camping is the best ).
We're in work mode now (family stuff) but in the late fall we'll be off and running again.
We meet lots of great folks but bus conversions are still very rare out there.
We go to local attractions thru the week and let the locals have them on the weekends.
The Route 66 roads are fine / fun but we feel better on the interstates with the MC-9 pulling a Jeep.
We burn more gallons of gas scouting around in the car than we burn diesel getting between places.
I can't think of anything else and others will have lots to add.
Frank

jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2006, 05:26:24 PM »

Full timeing for 5 years. One day I parked the bus, drained the tanks and went to Asia for 5 months! Came back for 6 months and went back for 5 more months, try that with a house!
 I have a 35ft bus so it fits a lot of places a 40 footer wont go, national parks old camp grounds ect.
 I agree with Frank the best way to go is to find a destination and stay for a least a month, the bounceing from place to place get old quick. One time I went to Tucson AZ for 2 weeks and stayed for 5 months, being flexible helps.
 The only thing I really hate is going to laundramats. Some places it is OK, like in Tucson I would put my laundry in the dryer and come back to find it folded! In Neveda somebody stole my money.
 I use a mail forwarding service, hopefully you can impose on your family. How are you going to get your mail, pay your bills? A cell phone is a real must have, I am happy with Sprint.  What will you use for internet service? You would be better off not watching TV, but what will you use, satellite? Which company?
 ATM's are a great way to get cash, but it can cost $3.00 to take out $500 so a national bank is best.
 Lots of questions to ask, hopefully you will get many ans here.
                                                                                       Work?/Play safely Jim

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: