Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 17, 2014, 10:30:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Floor Plans  (Read 3409 times)
Moof

« on: July 18, 2006, 10:52:32 PM »

Is there anyway that we can share floor plans on this site.  My wife and I have looked at a lot of motorhomes and have gotten many good ideas.  You folks seem to live on the edge more than the average duck.  I'd like to see some of your ideas.  Production models are built for the convenience of the builder.  You guys build what works for the end user.  I have some files in word, jpg or even pdf if needed that I could share.  Is this a worthy topic for this BB?

Thanks
Ace

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 05:01:06 AM »

Moof you'll probably find out that most floor plans fit the owner personally and their taste. Looking at mine or someone elses will give you a basic idea but may not fit well in your bus or your needs.

Best advice is to keep doing what your doing and put your heads together and come up with a floor plan that works for you.

Basically, for a couple and no kids is a BR is the very back, next a bathroom, then a kitchen or galley, then your LR. Some have walk thru baths with toilet on one side and shower on the opposite.

The BR's can have anything from single twins on each side to a queen size bed in the center or even sideways.

The kitchen can be all electric, or have propane, can have a large stove to just a simple counter top stove. It can have a full size fridge or under counter fridge. You get the picture! There are just too many floorplans to choose from but the right one for you will be the one that works the best for you!

I will say that looking at new r/v's helped me to gain ideas for colors and combinations, not to mention how they did what they did! A lot of what is done by the pros is really not that hard to do and remember, a lot of what the pros do is mainly cosmetic!

Ace

Oh and don't think that while your in the interior conversion progress that your mind won't change along the way! It WILL! You'll always see a place where something you need might fit or work better! Just do it!
brojcol
Jimmy

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 05:30:11 AM »

This is a Moof point Roll Eyes

(sorry; couldn't help it)!

The sky's the limit!  You can customize it anyway you like.  I knew a guy who had just two rooms.  A living room and a bedroom with a shower and commode in the BR.  If you do it yourself, I have some advice.  If you are married, make sure you get the wife involved.  Ask her what she wants.  Plus, if you want to look at floor plans, go to http://www.busforsale.com/

They always have some floorplans with their buses for sale!

"Ask yourself this question...Are you funky enough to be a globetrotter?  Well are you???  ARE YOU?!?!

deal with it."            Professor Bubblegum Tate
Kristinsgrandpa

1988 Neoplan AN 340, 6V-92 TA DDEC II, HT 748 ATEC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 07:43:18 AM »

Some things are done because of the way the bus is constructed.

For instance if you don't have a raised roof, a side aisle is better so that the shower can be put closer to the center of the bus for head room, the commode should be directly over the holding tank.(back to back 3"- 90's take up 14"), and don't put any walls over the access holes in the floor.

I know one guy that arranged the bath to be under an existing sky light, he says there is always a street light on some where and he doesn't need a nite-lite in the bathroom.

Since most utility hook up's, at parks, are on the drivers side it is usually better to put the kitchen and bath on that side to save on plumbing.

There are a lot of little thing that will become apparent as you procede with the project.

Ed

I'm very conservative, " I started life with nothing and still have most of it left".
Buffalo SpaceShip

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 08:51:02 AM »

Here's two plans from our last two busses. Both are 35' GMCs, and space is at a premium for our family of five. I'm going to redo the bedroom area on our new bus to either do a bunkhouse or a convertible lounge/ sleeping area. Most conversions are set up for a travelling couple, so we're having to modify the conversions we buy to suit our needs. Converting one from scratch probably won't happen anytime soon.

Here's our issues:
We're finding that breaking down the dinette while on the road is the the biggest pain for us, so we want to have enough beds to avoid that. On the old bus, I built in kid-sized bunks over the tub/ shower. These worked great, but wouldn't be long enough for my kids as they grow (54"). My new bus doesn't have room for bunks with its layout, but we could rig up a sleeping area in the front bay (the bays are very tall on the Buffalos) for a "basement" bedroom. Getting ventilation and power down there wouldn't be too tricky, once the claustrophibic feeling is resolved. I would build in walls inside the bay doors and seal it from the road with insulation, etc. Of course, I'm not certain that we can spare the room in the bay, because it's so nice to have the entire of the front bay for our "toys".

Now, if we had a 40' Buff with an extra bay, that would be great... but if we had a 40' coach, I probably wouldn't need the basement bedroom at all. But a 40' coach aces us out of many state and county parks that we frequent so much...

As you can see: Decisions, decisions... Best of luck on yours!

Brian Brown
4108-216
Longmont, CO USA

Brian Brown
4108-216 w/ V730
Longmont, CO
Moof

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2006, 10:29:05 AM »

I have never seen a bunk over the tub.  That is a cool idea.  I have a floor plan at home that I'll try to post as well.  My wife and I have been talking about and drawing floor plans since 97 when we first decided to convert a bus.  As we near retirement we are getting ready to quit putting ideas on paper and start putting them on pavement.  Thanks for any ideas or tips.

Dave T
Devin & Amy
FMCA#377731

1980 MC9 8v71 4spd man. Fulltiming family of 6

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2006, 11:09:04 AM »

Hi all,

Ok this is kinda crude looking, but the wife and I have been working on this piece of paper for about a year. We lived in the bus and had ideas where things should go.

Good luck with your plans.
Devin

Devin, Amy, and the kids!!
Happily Bussin'!!
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2006, 03:16:56 PM »

You can call me a true bus nut.  I have been doing floor plans since I was in 8th grade-probably a few hundred by now.  Don't even start on the floor plan until you have a floor plan of the bus and where the bulkheads, wheels, obstructions are so you can work around them. I settled with a rather conventional floor plan, since I like useablility over asthetics.  In a nutshell- left side behind drivers seat- 4ft cabinet for electrical, 2.5ft for recliner, 9ft for kitchen, 2ft for reefer, 2ft for washer/dryer, 5ft wardrobe, 1ft clearance, 6.5ft bed, 3ft rear closet.  On passenger side behind door is 3ft for passenger chair, 6.5ft sofa, 1ft cabinet, 6.5ft dinette, 4.5ft enclosed bathroom with 3ft shower, 1ft space, 6.5ft bed, 3ft rear closet.  I had my blue prints all made out to the bus and even then, had to modify some as I went.  The finished product is real close to the blue print though. Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Mark Scott

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2006, 01:51:04 PM »

I found that the Marathon Coach website is a great place for floor plan and ideas. These guys are on the leading edge of design. Most of the coaches are 45', so you will have to adjust. THey also design for multiple slide-outs, but, you will get some ideas. Good luck. Mark
Rodsmc5c

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2006, 06:55:18 PM »

Hi
   Keep  at least 18" from the front edge of the toilet to the opposing wall,door etc. any less than that and you can't get up, especially if you are not a small person, also the toilet should be centered in an area as close to 30" wide as possible. Rod (plumber)
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2006, 07:20:11 PM »

I don't have a floorplan to share but I very much prefer a side aisle design. I don't care for the split bath and like the bed/bath area to be completely hidden from the living/eating area.

Unfortunately, that wasn't workable in a 4104 because of the low sidewalls and ceiling curve.

I do expect it will be in a future design.

FWIW
Len

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Ace

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2006, 08:26:09 PM »

Len I know what you mean. I don't like to see the bed upon entering the bus either nor do I like the idea of having a isle or hallway along one side. I achieved both a split bath and a side isle. I simply moved my br entrance door to one side of the br/bathroom and the door from the kitchen going to the bathroom is in the center as usuall. The walk thru the bathroom is kind of a "s" curve so to speak around the neo-angle shower.
Worked for me!  Wink

Ace
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2006, 09:56:53 PM »

Another idea is to watch for bus rallys, bashes, get togethers what ever ya wanna call 'em and go see what others have made work for them then take and use pieces from what ever ya like to "make yers yer way!" BK  Grin

See I haven't even got my bus I'll be using as a conversion yet, but I'm watching listening and learning so when the time is right I'll be ready! Also I'm hosting the TN Fall Bus Bash at my place October 26th thru the 31st where I'll have a varity of coaches come here to my place and I can take advantage of taking pics to save and use when it comes time to "do it my way!" BK  Grin LOL!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2006, 10:01:38 PM by Busted Knuckle » Logged

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2006, 06:14:07 AM »

I also like the idea of enclosing the toilet in it's own room, seen in some of the newer motor homes.  Takes up a little more space but I wouldn't have to hear my wife's comments when I make my stinkies Embarrassed

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2006, 07:35:52 AM »

Wanted to make another point. I've been in some conversions where they tried to cram everything you can think of in.  It created a ducking (the owner was short), twisting maz that felt like you where in a cave.  On top of that was the rope lights, mirrors, velour on the walls, granite, marble, gold leaf, and a couple different woods.  It was enough to make you scream and run. 
One of the reasons I used the AMGeneral transit is because of the huge windows.  We always get comments on how huge they are, and when sitting inside, can see a panorama view.  I also kept the insides simple-so much so that some have thought I wasn't done yet (because I didn't have the rope lights, mirrors, velour,etc).  I used birch covered 3/4" furniture grade plywood for the cabinets with clear polyurethane, left the edges of the plywood exposed, formica counter tops, standard pile carpet, etc.  I made the bus to be used and not to much thought to being careful when going in and out.  The only real concession is that I made the bathroom on the right side around the rear entrance door so you can come directly into the bathroom from outside without getting dirt inside.  Also have an outside shower next to that door.  Many, many ways of doing your floorplans.  Don't think I've seen two alike.  Have fun with it and make a list of what you want so not to forget something important later.  Good luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: