Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 21, 2014, 03:08:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, we will replace all of your E-Mags for free.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: update on gen.  (Read 1296 times)
ruthi

Ignore
« on: October 05, 2009, 05:40:16 AM »

We purchased a new injector pump assembly for the gen. It fixed the leak, but, not the problem of it not running right. It can run fairly good for a long time, then, it will start surging up and down, like it is going to die at any minute. It started doing it this morn. at about 4 and did it til we got up at 7. Now, it is just doing it occasionally. Hubby thinks it sounds like it isnt getting enough fuel, almost dies and then gets some. Dont know what else to fix Roll Eyes.  We were hopeing the injector fix would do it, especially at 1300.00 to fix it. Anyone have any ideas what to do with it, other than get another one,lol. Thanks

Mixed up Dina, ready for the road as of 12/25/2010
Home in middle Georgia, located somewhere in the
southeast most of the time.
FIRST RALLY ATTENDED: BUSSIN 2011!
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 06:03:26 AM »

As mentioned before, run it from a container of fuel located close to the generator, eliminating all plumbing except for short hoses.  I am quite sure that you are going to find a cracked line or fitting somewhere that is sucking air.  Those symptoms can come and go with temperature and vibration.

My guess is that there is nothing wrong with the generator.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
ruthi

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 06:06:12 AM »

We are going to try that as soon as it stops raining. We are in Greensboro today, at the walmart.

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 06:22:47 AM »

Ruthi,I would say he is losing the ground on his pickup pump or if he bought another pickup pump he has the wrong one installed I see this from time to time when people buy the electric pumps from places like Auto Zone.
The pickup pump on the 3000 series Cat like you have needs to be a flo through pump for diesel and not one of the solenoid type they sell for 40 bucks you can buy the flo through from Auto Zone by ordering for about 80 bucks.   

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
ruthi

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 06:50:34 AM »

We got the part from power tech in Florida. As I said, the pump assembly was 13 hundred, we did the work ourselves.

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 07:02:18 AM »

Ruthi, you should have a electric pickup pump before the 1300.00 injection pump.   

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 08:41:23 AM »

Ruthi,
Keep in mind I don't have a conversion, or common sense. But I have to agree with Clifford on this one!
If I remember correct Phil was having similar issues and a new pick up pump solved his problem too! Maybe he'll chime in and advise soon! Grin
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 09:19:53 AM »

Ruthi,
   Are you still in Greensboro? Is that Greensbors, NC?  We are about 20-25 miles from Greensbore meay Mayodan, NC.  How long are ya'll going to be in Greesboro?  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
ruthi

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2009, 10:36:17 AM »

Jack, we are in Randleman,NC  today and tomorrow. We will be back in Greensboro Thursday. Hey, if you are in the area we would like to meet you. I THINK we have the gen problem solved. Yesterday we found a fuse that was melted, replaced it, and thought it was fixed. Ran it all day and night fine, til about 4 this morning, then started being crazy again. Hubby took the control box apart and found what appeared to be a lose wire. Fixed it, and appears to be running smooth now. Keep your fingers crossed.

JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2009, 05:17:18 AM »

Ruthi,
   We are leaving Thursday AM, but are heading over through Winston-Salem and south on 52 to I-85.  I was hoping ya'll would be in Greensboro today (Wednesday) as we have time to drive to Greensboro this afternoon.
    We have had 2 problems with our PowerTech that were both the result of loose connections in the control box on the generator. We now periodically take the top off the control box and check the connections.  I think it is the slight vibrations that occur when the generator is running.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
ruthi

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2009, 11:15:44 AM »

Jack, we will be back in Greensboro later this afternoon. Everytime I think we have it fixed, it isnt.  We have over another month on the road, before we head home. Just hope it keeps working. What time will you be thru the area? 

ruthi

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2009, 11:21:05 AM »

Jack, when you had something loose in the control box, did it make it run irratically? Ours will jump around, and shake the bus, and eventually will go up and down in power, sometimes to the point of almost dying. What is strange, when we kill it for a while and then crank it back up, it will run smooth for a while. Maybe just coincidence, weird. After spending so much on it, this is really getting old and stressful. We are working, not traveling for pleasure, so it makes it hard. We have a tight schedule that has to be kept up with. Our new conversion is going to have a back up generator in it.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: