Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 19, 2014, 01:33:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiser’s website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Temporary heating solutions  (Read 4020 times)
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2009, 07:45:54 PM »

Two roof airs or two electric heaters are pretty much the same consumption....

So, all things being equal, running the generator to lower the temp by 30 degrees is no different than running it to raise the temp by 30 degrees...

Brian, just run the generator until you choose some more cost-efficient heating options.

Have you looked at the stuff the marine folks use for heat?

For instance:  http://www.dickinsonmarine.com/

Lots of choices!

I have one of their Bering stoves, with water coils, waiting for deployment.  The 3 gallon MCI washroom sink tap tank mounted up in a cupboard looks to be a great gravity feed tank. Install a small electric pump to refill it once a day, vented/overflow back to the main tank, sweet install. No electric consumption for 6500 BTU to 16 250 BTU, it'll keep the chill out for most of what we might see here in the Great Lakes Basin.

Dickinson does some quality assurance testing on their products, and then offer them for sale, discounted as such. All they did was run it through its paces.

And, they have outlets both sides of the border, avoiding all that red tape and expence.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Don4107

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2009, 08:03:56 PM »

If you run the genset you might want to have smoke and CO detectors at least temporarily installed.  I would not sleep well even with them.

Don 4107

Don 4107 Eastern Washington
1975 MCI 5B
1966 GM PD 4107 for sale
1968 GMC Carpenter
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2009, 10:37:05 PM »

I just got back from a trip where it was pretty darn cold and two 1,500 watt heaters kept my bus tolerable, but not super warm.  I have dual pane windows and spray foam.  Running an 8KW generator for two 1,500 watt heaters is a waste, but if it is all you have it works.

BK, there are more efficient ways to heat than electricity, but electricity is one of the only ways to air condition unless you add a compressor to a gas or diesel engine.

Belfert,
"Duh, big red truck!"

#1) He said QUICK temp solution!

#2) I merely suggested fer this 1 trip to use the gen! (beats a campfire in a luggage bay by far!) Then find & due a more permanent solution!

#3) And on top of that he didn't ask for most economical!

Also, I said;
"Keep in mind I don't have conversion experience, or common sense."

Roll Eyes  BK   Roll Eyes

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
busshawg

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2009, 12:27:22 PM »

Contrary to popularity here on the board, I installed a couple of these, very easy to install, they use very little power and actually keep the bus quite warm. Probably wouldn't work at -30 . But I have had the bus at a comfortable inside temp at -10 C, and I only have the 2000 series. Can find them at truck wreckers for a couple of hundred a piece, come with a inside thermostat. They do not give off teh humidity that propane gives off so you will be able to see out your windows!

Grant

http://www.webasto.us/press/en/am_trucks_heaters_826.html

Have Fun!!
Grant
cody

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2009, 01:09:24 PM »

We hooked up a ventless LP heater that hangs on the wall in the living room, we have the carbon monoxide detectors as well as the gas sniffers, we're real pleased with the way it keeps the bus warm and doesn't require electricity, just hangs there and glows, kinda nice.  The one we got is a 2 pad one from northern tool and cost us under 80 bucks each, we got 2, one for each end of the bus but I'm thinking we may not need the one for the back unless it gets really cold, we run a fan to keep the air from getting layered tho, the heater is rated at 10K BTU's on high 6K on low.
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2009, 05:37:36 PM »

Hello Tom.

Yes, I wonder why more busnuts don't use the bunk heaters?

Those you listed are good for up to 2 Kw, or 6800 BTU each.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2009, 08:02:44 PM »

I just got back from a trip where it was pretty darn cold and two 1,500 watt heaters kept my bus tolerable, but not super warm.  I have dual pane windows and spray foam.  Running an 8KW generator for two 1,500 watt heaters is a waste, but if it is all you have it works.

BK, there are more efficient ways to heat than electricity, but electricity is one of the only ways to air condition unless you add a compressor to a gas or diesel engine.

Belfert,
"Duh, big red truck!"

#2) I merely suggested fer this 1 trip to use the gen! (beats a campfire in a luggage bay by far!) Then find & due a more permanent solution!

Also, I said;

I was merely responding to your comment about why running a genset for heat is any different than running it for A/C.  Running a genset for heat is very inefficient compared to propane or diesel heating.  There isn't much other choice for running A/C unless one goes to a lot of work.

Nothing wrong with running a genset and electric heaters for a short term solution.  It is what I did on my trip this past week.  It just isn't very efficient.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2009, 06:23:26 AM »

Belfert,
"Duh, big red truck!"

Also, I said;

I was merely responding to your comment about why running a genset for heat is any different than running it for A/C.  Running a genset for heat is very inefficient compared to propane or diesel heating.  There isn't much other choice for running A/C unless one goes to a lot of work.

Nothing wrong with running a genset and electric heaters for a short term solution.  It is what I did on my trip this past week.  It just isn't very efficient.

Belfert,
I was merely pointing out that my original post was merely giving Brian an answer to his original question!
The original question was not about efficency, but what to do in q hurry for this weekend! FWIW
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2009, 06:43:22 AM »

If you want to heat the bus up quick, tell the Mrs. to dry her hair Smiley.   

If you use sleeping bags at night, and just crank the Genny in the morning to knock the chill of and hold you till sun shines on it and the day warms up.

Savannah probably won't be an issue,

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2009, 10:06:14 AM »

I am with Tom on the propane recommendation.  Used mine for the past two weeeks at the coast.  Down to 40 degrees and never had a clue till I went outside in the morning.

Get the Suburban.  Determin your future location and cut that little square hole and run a propane line.  You don't need to duct it yet, just take off the end plate off and dump the air into the coach.  This should be a very fast temp install in the perm location.  If you decide to change the location just leave the square external hull penatration in place for a neat cover and cut the new hole.  If my new bu8s ahs hydronic I will still install Suburbans as my secondary and I use cubes when connected to shore unless Mama wants to use the toaster oven.

Regardless of how you heat or with what....do what Cody suggested:  Get a small fan, AC or DC, about 6 or eight inches in diameter and put it on the floor pointing at the ceiling.  Run it 24/7.  That will make the home, coach, office more comfy than you can imagine.....winter or summer.  Cheap thrills.

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: