Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 15, 2014, 10:00:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OT with apologies - Value of a AIRSTREAM CUTTER 35RQ  (Read 3973 times)
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2009, 07:30:22 AM »

The Montana LLC or corporation methods are used by many and from what I understand is not a problem except for people who are residents of Texas or a couple other states.  In those states they have laws in place to prevent their own residents from legally doing that.  But there is no problem with a non resident visiting their state with that type of ownership.  And it may even be the easiest way to handle the vehicle ownership/registration/insurance as a non US citizen.

Specifically how it works is, you own the business, the business owns the RV and under unique Montana laws that arrangement is not subject to sales or use tax.  There is paperwork to be done to set it up and periodic paperwork to be filed with the state and federal govt. relating to the business.  That, in addition to the necessity of a Montana address for the business is why another company is involved.

In your case it needs to be the LLC format that it is reportedly set up as because of you not being a US citizen.  If you had it set up as a corporation, it would have to be a full blown "C" corp because the simpler "S" corp can't have foreign shareholders.

Even though you may be able to get the price down some, there is always risk in losing the deal when you try.  For a local to miss out it not a big deal because it is easy to go down the road and find another.  But as a long distance non resident, it isn't that easy to find high quality bargains.  As long as a qualified mechanic certifies the engine/drive train, this may very well be the ideal motorhome for your needs due to the reasons you mentioned combined with the way ownership is already set up.  And like I said before, if the video is current, it is in exceptional aesthetic condition and the sides look very tight with no signs of delamination.

If you buy another one and have to pay sales tax in order to register it, that could be $2000 or more itself, not to mention the hassles likely involved in a non U.S. citizen titling/registering a vehicle here.  It can be difficult for a US citizen who is a full timer without a permanent physical address to register a vehicle in many states.  That is why many use a mailing service that gives them a physical mailing address or buy a piece of property without any intention of using it for anything more than an address.

I would keep a budget ready for replacing the tires though.  At that mileage there is a real good chance they are the original tires and still have great tread left and if I am right about indoor/covered storage they may even look good.  But if they are 10-12 years old, you would be trusting your lives and your new investment to old rubber.
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2009, 07:44:41 AM »

Montana doesn't have a motor vehicle sales tax for anyone.  The registration fees are also likely to be lower than some states.

A lot of Californians in particular own motorhomes through Montana LLCs to avoid the sales tax and the high registration fees in California.  California is cracking down on this.  If California sees that a vehicle registered out of state is consistently in the state of California they have been known to take steps to collect California taxes on that vehicle.  I don't think California realizes that if they had reasonable taxes folks wouldn't be so likely to evade them.

A Montana LLC likely wouldn't be a problem for someone not a United State resident.  Australia is hardly going to expect a resident to register a vehicle there when the vehicle isn't even in Australia.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Tony LEE

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2009, 12:34:18 PM »

Thanks everyone - I think you have covered all bases and the advice is very encouraging. A state that imposes almost no taxes on vehicle transfer and ownership - WOW.  The owners said it cost them about $1500 to set up the company in the first place but there is little cost to transfer it over so I have to figure that saving into the cost of the vehicle as well.

Australia doesn't care too much what we get up to overseas unless it involves earning lots of money. Then it wants its share. We also have different vehicle ownership regulations in each state and the OKA I bought recently is going to stay registered interstate to avoid having a mechanical check every year. I'm all for the checks but here in NSW where the MCI is registered as a heavy vehicle, it means I have to bring it back at least once a year for the safety check. Real pain.
Setting up a company doesn't work because the registration fees are quite a bit higher for corporate vehicles.

Yes, tyres are something I will look at - especially the steer tyres. When I bought the MCI it did have good tyres on the front, but all  6 rears were a bit of a mixture. After suffering the indignity of three blowouts - ALL on the inside drives - and spending the close to two hours changing each one in near summer desert conditions, I lashed out and bought all new ones and have had no trouble since. I also run them at the correct pressure for each axle load as well, so that will also help. 100psi all-round might be right for trucks, but no need in a bus.

Thanks again

Tony LEE

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2009, 02:04:41 PM »

The deal is done - 22,500 -- USD35,937.74 - walk out, walk in, as is, where is. Thank goodness the Oz Dollar has been going up and up lately.

So now is the time to tell me you saw a MUCH better one just yesterday, half the age and half the price.

Thanks again for all the useful advice and encouragement.

When I come over, I'll be able to go back to Oz with a bag full of spare parts to keep my MCI on the road.

Hmmmmm, wonder how much a power steering conversion kit weighs, and a wiper overhaul kit, and a DD3 service kit, and a .....

and an 8V71.

Nah, my engine is good so don't need a new one.

John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2009, 02:22:06 PM »

Sorry Tony, but looks like I didn't get this posted in time. There is an incredible RV that was foreclosed on, and sitting at our local bank. It is half the price.....No, no, no. I AM KIDDING... Grin Grin Grin

Congrats on your buy. Looks like it will serve you well. Where are you headed on this trip? If you are going to be here in spring, or fall, I have a great recommendation of a CG in Rocky Mountain national park. Excellent place. Keep us updated on your travels, when you leave.

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
Tony LEE

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2009, 03:42:22 PM »

Thanks John.

I'm going to have to do a bit of research on geography and weather before I decide where we are going to go. The western and north-western parts of the US appeal to me more than the east and south east - although that may be more a matter of misconceptions than reality. Canada is also on the list and of course Alaska too if I can find somewhere near the Canadian  border to store it over winter without costing a fortune. One thing is certain though is that we will be giving most cities a very wide berth - as we do here as well. We are limited to stays of 6 months in any one year - although I guess we can extend the total time by spending a few months in Canada as well.
A complicating factor is that I've somehow become a collector of motorhomes. The MCI here and the OKA 4WD camper (see picture) I'm picking up from Western Australia when we get back from New Guinea (and which will likely end up in South America in a couple of years), and the Hobby in Germany. Now the new one in the US as well. Not enough seasons in the year to do what I want to do.

John316

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2009, 04:18:38 PM »

Good grief, Tony. I would love to find out what you did for a living! I don't care what it is, it sounds good. I agree with you. I like the west better then the east (I don't mean anything against those that live there). One of my favorite places is CO Rockies and up from there. The grand canyon is great too.

Most of the cities aren't that bad. Just hit the cities in between rushours.

God bless.

John

Posted from my Itouch.

kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2009, 05:34:04 PM »

If you keep an open mind, almost anywhere in the US is a great place to visit & tour.

The East coast has history & lots of nature stuff.

The West coast has the same, just different . . .

Same goes for everywhere in between.  Grin

The area you like best will depend on your own tastes.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
John316

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2009, 05:41:07 PM »

If you keep an open mind, almost anywhere in the US is a great place to visit & tour.

The East coast has history & lots of nature stuff.

The West coast has the same, just different . . .

Same goes for everywhere in between.  Grin

The area you like best will depend on your own tastes.

Yup, Kyle, you said it right. The east does have some very, very pretty places. I also like a lot of the history there too, however if I was choosing where too go on a vacation it would be to the Rockies, but then again, that is just me, and doesn't mean a hoot Grin.

BTW, Kyle. Why did Tony get another RV. Couldn't you have loaned him an orphan?  Grin Grin Grin

God bless,

John

Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2009, 09:42:09 PM »

BTW, Kyle. Why did Tony get another RV. Couldn't you have loaned him an orphan?  Grin Grin Grin
God bless,
John

John sure he coulda, question is. Could Tony have afforded to have it towed everwhere he wanted to see?!?!? Grin
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Tony LEE

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2009, 12:05:15 AM »

Could Tony have afforded to have it towed everwhere he wanted to see?!?!?

Yes, I thought about seeing if there was a converted MCI for sale - briefly - for about 0.0001 microseconds. And then I came to my senses and thought - why go all that way when I can stay right here and have all the hassles of running a 31-year old bus

bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2009, 05:33:51 AM »

Tony, for "furriners" like us this is a good time, maybe the best time in recent years, to visit the US and Canada.  The US$ is low compared to external currencies, the economy is recovering and sliding towards  optimistic, and people like to see you show up and spend your money, unlike some other countries I like to visit.  The thing about the US is that there are so many different things to visit.  You like big mountains, you got your big mountains - go towards Denver.  You like your little mountains, go to Verginia or around there.  You like hot - Texas and Florida, you like cold, try Canada or Alaska.  You come from a desert and want wet - go hang in Seattle, it rains every day there.  Come to think of it, it rained every day I was in New Orleans in August - for an hour at lunch time, by the time you were finished eating the sun was out again!

Have a good time.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: