Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 30, 2014, 04:15:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Poll
Question: Which cell phone service provider do you use?  (Voting closed: November 16, 2009, 12:40:26 AM)
AT&T - 15 (22.7%)
Verizon - 40 (60.6%)
Sprint - 6 (9.1%)
T-Mobile - 2 (3%)
Other - 3 (4.5%)
Total Voters: 66

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cell Phone Service Providers  (Read 3690 times)
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« on: October 17, 2009, 01:40:26 AM »

All -

Contract is coming due the end of next month on my cell phone service.  Am curious to know which one of the major players do most of my fellow busnuts use.  It just might be worth switching carriers after I review the rate plans, phones, and internet service availability.

Comments welcome as to why you chose what you did.

TIA, y'all. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
Dan C

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 03:15:34 AM »

RJ,
I use TracPhone. It is a prepay type plan and for the very little use that I put on a
cell phone it works for me.
Rates are $.10 per minute, but they often have deals that include a life time "doubling
card" at no charge.
When I buy "time", the amount of "time" that I get is double the amount that I purchased.
This makes my "time" charge $.05 per minute.
There are better plans for anyone that has uses their phone alot more than I do.
I have had months when my total use cost me less than $10.00.
Coverage is excellent. They use Verizon, At&T and other networks. I have never been "out
of service" anywhere in the country.
YMMV.

Dan
wrench

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 06:14:35 AM »

AT&T for 10 years with an expired contract for 8 years. Also got Sprints air card(2 years now, exp.) on a Itronix 260+, microphone & speaker integrated(use a radio cassette adapter in truck,car,RV for sound trough vehicule system) to call when driving(can dial without taking eyes off the road). Using SKYPE including Canada for $3.00 a month illimited with number to go, & allow receiving & foward to cell phone or any number when needed.
       wrench
WEC4104

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 06:46:20 AM »

I have had the best success with Verizon, coverage-wise.   I have been all over the eastern half of the U.S, with verty few problems. (Draw a line from Minneapolis to Dallas, and take everything east of that.)    I have an older, moderately priced handset, and I frequently "have bars" when folks around me on other plns do not.

A few years back, my employer attempted to switch everyone over to a T-Mobile group plan. The IT Dept was gradually issuing everyone new phones, and one of the early ones went to a Sr. Vice President.    He was riding in my car one day, and we were on the highway when he got a call.  After about 2 minutes, he lost the connection.   He cursed the phone and told me he was battling with the IT department because he had nothing but problems with T-Mobile.  He stated he was doing battle with the IT Dept but they wouldn't let him change back because they had him signed up for a contract to get the new hardware.   

The original caller called back and they resumed their conversation.    5 minutes later, he lost signal again.   I watched the VP lower my car window and launch his phone into a field while we were doing 70 mph.   I laughed by butt off.   He then borrowed my Verizon phone and called the guy back.   I guess being a Sr V.P. has it's advantages.

If you're going to be dumb, you gotta be tough.
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 08:09:09 AM »

When I got my first cell phone in 1986 ($1,650.00 back then!) I was with PacBell which later turned into Verizon.  But-AT&T was the first to get follow me roaming (since I was a cross country truck driver), so I switched to AT&T.  While AT&T coverage is great on the road, it was lousy in Los Angeles.  After I got married, my wife at Verizon and when we would come into our under ground parking for our condo, my phone would say No Service, and she would be still talking on it.  Verizon has excellent coverage and am very pleased (albeit not the cheapest) with their service.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
ruthi

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 09:03:26 AM »

We started out yrs ago with ATT. Then we had Sprint. Not much luck with either. We have had Verizon for yrs now. We are mainly in the South east area of the country. We have a little trouble in Kentucky, otherwise, good service. We also use their mobil internet. They have a new thing now where you can sign up 10 friends, etc numbers, and talk all you want with no minutes used. It can be cell, or home numbers. Good luck, Ruthi

Mixed up Dina, ready for the road as of 12/25/2010
Home in middle Georgia, located somewhere in the
southeast most of the time.
FIRST RALLY ATTENDED: BUSSIN 2011!
jackhartjr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2009, 09:13:17 AM »

WalMart is beginning tomorrow a $44.00 unlimited calling, texting and data plan.  The other boys are shaking in their boots...as they should...we have been ripped off for years!

Google Walmart cell phone plans.

Jack

Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)
Lonnie time to go
Lonnie

Saginaw, Michgan

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2009, 10:28:29 AM »

I did have alltel and it was great a little high in price.
Now i have att its ok but it has moments.
Trouble is in the thumb of michigan local cell phone company has lock on service.
This has caused trouble for all the big cell phone companies.

1976 4905
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2009, 10:58:28 AM »

We have ATAPAIN! We are very involved with them, but we are just in the process of switching away from those...I won't say. I am not exactly sure what we will switch too. The WM idea sounds neat. I will check that out. Otherwise it will be Verizon.

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2009, 06:18:58 PM »

Walmart is partnering with Verizon.  I am interested in reading how roaming is handled versus Verizon America's Choice.  America's Choice doesn't roam per se, but rather has extended network.  Extended network is really roaming, but Verizon doesn't charge for it.

I have been very happy with Verizon.  I started with them at the end of 2000.  After I started my current job I was able to transfer my phone to have my employer pay for it under their Verizon plan.  It works most anywhere, but there are a few rural areas where AT&T and T-Mobile work, but not Verizon.

My employer looked real hard at T-Mobile to save 30% or more, but we found coverage sucks after T-Mobile gave us test phones.  I was going to test south of Lincoln, Nebraska, but T-Mobile flat out said they have no coverage there.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Hi yo silver

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2009, 06:29:08 PM »

Verizon for me.   Better coverage than ntelos, which I had previously.  Purchased plan and phone at Wally World.

Dennis

Blue Ridge Mountains of VA   Hi Yo Silver! MC9
ruthi

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2009, 09:08:06 PM »

I am thinking of getting one of the walmart phones and testing it as we travel and comparing it to the verizon phones we have now. If I do, I will let yall know the results.

Mixed up Dina, ready for the road as of 12/25/2010
Home in middle Georgia, located somewhere in the
southeast most of the time.
FIRST RALLY ATTENDED: BUSSIN 2011!
loosenut
Confidently Ignorant

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2009, 09:56:09 PM »

My wife and I have phones on Verizon, Tmobile and AT&T networks.  The coverage is in that order.  Verizon is the best.  Tmobile is a close 2nd.  AT&T is a very distant 3rd.

My wife travels all over the country and often has to use her Verizon phone instead of At&T because of coverage.

If you don't use your phone for data, pictures etc.  The phone company in AARP is changing over to the Verizon network.  They are the ones with bigger buttons and a larger screen.

Mike

Sold 85 Neoplan 33ft 6V92ta, sadly busless
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2009, 04:15:30 AM »

I used Spaint as my only phone for years and then added a Sprint aircard.   The reason I stayed with Sprint is most times I had a problem and started looking for a different carrier I found they all had issues also. Like jumping from the frying pan to the fire. I knew what I had and did not have to experiment with new problems.

My wife currently has a Trac phone which is great for occasional phone. We bought the double the minutes plan so it costs 5 cents a min (where is the cents symblo?)

I did not have a contract with Sprint.  To the best of my understanding the contract is to cover the cost of the free phone. If you have to sign a contract, how can the phone be free??  I bought my last couple of phones off Ebay and the contract was never extended. You must make sure the account for the phone is paid off, you can do this with the phones ID #. May be worth looking into.  Also if service is really bad you can buy out of contract.  I understand they now also have contract swapping sites.  It is possible to be in an area with great coverage and your house be in a dead zone!

I am currently experimenting with a Boost phone the iden network has some issues and their phones are not the best. Not a deal breaker, but could be better. I am going to Google cell phone plans for Wall Mart at Jack's suggestion.

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2009, 05:02:57 AM »

Yes, they hook you into a contract to pay for the free or reduced price phone, but also notice the monthly cost doesn't go down if one lets the contract expire.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: