Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 28, 2014, 04:12:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, we will replace all of your E-Mags for free.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Poll
Question: Which cell phone service provider do you use?  (Voting closed: November 16, 2009, 12:40:26 AM)
AT&T - 15 (22.7%)
Verizon - 40 (60.6%)
Sprint - 6 (9.1%)
T-Mobile - 2 (3%)
Other - 3 (4.5%)
Total Voters: 66

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cell Phone Service Providers  (Read 3836 times)
Joebus

1978 MCI Mc8

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2009, 05:18:51 AM »

I have had Verizon for the last 2 years (no long distance for US and Canada) great coverage. I have never lost service....both USA coasts,,Yuma, Florida,Texas, etc. Central and eastern Canada, around $50.00 per month

Verizon air card for internet, again great in the USA, but a roaming charge in Canada makes it too expensive to use when home for the summer

Joe Beleskey ,Stroud Ont. 50 Miles north of Toronto
1977 MC8, 8V71T, Auto
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2009, 05:23:14 AM »

We have verizon  had At&t no comparison.. Verizon is 3 times better..Also have added a cell phone booster (wilson electronics) that takes our signal in those rare no service areas to 4 bars..Works on the wireless internet connection also....Less than $200.00 hint they are making a small office unit with a dome inside a antenna outside that requires no physical connection..a little more but you can use as many cell phones and air cards at the same time as you want..

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2009, 06:01:15 AM »

We had Alltel for many years, until Verizon took them over. So far we are very happy with Verizon (signal strength as well as service). We have traveled through 14 states on this trip between FL & MI. Very few dead areas and only a few dropped calls.  We have found that many of our friends also have Verizon, so free calls between our cell phones. Just our service, YMMV.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2009, 03:51:32 PM »

Yes, they hook you into a contract to pay for the free or reduced price phone, but also notice the monthly cost doesn't go down if one lets the contract expire.

The mo cost does not go down. I also get constant phone upgrade offers because I am a "priemium customer".  They will do anything to lock you into a 2 year sentance.  It would be interesting to know if you try to sign up for a new account with a major carrier and already have a cell phone if they will still try to put you in a 2 year contract!!  JIm

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

mikelutestanski

Mikes Metal Mistress

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2009, 03:55:37 PM »

Hello:   We are also in the not happy with sprint and wanting to change but to what?  So we are interested.    Whilst on our trip in the upper midwest sprint had very little or no service.
      We are also interested in internet service with the bus but have not found anything that is reasonable yet.
    Looking foward to responses.    Regards   mike

Mike Lutestanski   Dunnellon Florida
  1972 MCI 7
  L10 Cummins  B400R  4.625R
Don4107

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2009, 07:05:16 PM »

Can you hear me now?  We live in the most populace county in Eastern Washington. Our illustrious county commissioners didn't like the look of cell phone towers so they put a moratorium on construction when the cell companies were flush with money to expand.  Took them many years to arrive at a permitting process than is so convoluted and expensive that the carriers just said no. 

The result is that the coverage we had in our area in the analog days is gone with very marginal service with digital.  The surrounding counties with far less population densities tend to have much better coverage.  The rolling hills of the Palouse are not conducive to good 800MHZ reception. 

We have tested all the major players and though the holes vary by carrier they are all marginal.  Something else that has changed over the years is that the receive sensitivity of the phones has steadily decreased.  I wish they would actually publish the specs of the phones so you could make an educated guess at what might work best.  The kids in the phones stores don't have a clue and only want to sell you what makes them the most $.

We have been stuck with Verizon since they were called something else.  Was it Cellular One?  If I stand right under the Wilson repeater antenna in the kitchen or for some reason a small circle out in the yard that is surrounded by buildings it might work here at home.  On the road they seem to have the best service in the Northwest.

Good luck
Don 4107

Don 4107 Eastern Washington
1975 MCI 5B
1966 GM PD 4107 for sale
1968 GMC Carpenter
Slow Rider
Global Moderator

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2009, 07:28:18 PM »

SBC ( Southern Bell Communications I believe )  become Cellular One which become Singular which is now AT&T

The MCI has landed..... We are home.
Dale City Va.  Just a southern suburb of DC
Yes I am a BUSNUT
1976 MCI MC8
ruthi

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2009, 07:58:57 PM »

Jim, YES, they will.

Mixed up Dina, ready for the road as of 12/25/2010
Home in middle Georgia, located somewhere in the
southeast most of the time.
FIRST RALLY ATTENDED: BUSSIN 2011!
Garymci5

'67 MCI 5a; "Widebody"

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2009, 12:01:46 AM »

RJ and Everyone,

We live about 2 hours south of Portland, OR, and are in the process of changing 3 phones from Verizon to AT&T.  There are a few reasons, each carry a different "weight".

Both my wife and I don't like the sound quality of our phones and have even changed them to no avail. Whatever data rate Verizon uses, sure makes it hard for us to clearly hear the other. We're not old, I'm not even 40 and the wife is 10 years my junior. Even tried various BlueTooth headsets- helps some. Sometime VM's would take many hours or days to arrive, always inconsistent, sometimes inconvenient.

Verizon is very agressive about keeping you locked into a contract. Change your service in any way, get a new phone and the contract extends for another 2 years.  Minutes don't roll-over. Use'm or lose'm. We think it's assinine.

Last year while camping in the mountains our phones didn't work, numerous other campers used their phones. Anytime I go camping and get off the beaten track a bit, the phones don't work and the batteries die in 2 or 3 hours. Sometimes texting would work, but not reliably.

Currently we have new iPhones. I am most impressed with the sound quality. It could be called "hi-fi", if such a thing existed for phones! Considering how expensive they are, one expects a better product.  Haven't been in the mountains yet to truly compare the network coverage, not until next summer. But in the meantime, will enjoy 32GB worth of music, photo's, email and internet (with a touch screen keyboard, ahhh!), and computer docking via USB cable, all at the tip of my fingers. Oh I can actually talk to the wife while the lawnmower is

Combined with minutes that roll-over, despite the higher cost, we are getting more features and so far, perceived, better service. Will miss those cool Verizon ads, tho (just glad not to be paying for them anymore).

Last comment, a buddy of mine has been on AT&T cell service for nearly 20 years and wouldn't consider anything else. Not bad for half his life.

Cheers,
Gary

Buy your oil at true wholesale prices!:
http://www.synthetic-motor-oilsite.com/1688537
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2009, 07:28:34 AM »

Which cell carrier give you a new phone for free without a new contract?  The iPhone requires a contract because it is subsidized.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
loosenut
Confidently Ignorant

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2009, 09:51:26 AM »

RJ and Everyone,

...Verizon is very agressive about keeping you locked into a contract. Change your service in any way, get a new phone and the contract extends for another 2 years.  Minutes don't roll-over. Use'm or lose'm. We think it's assinine.

Anytime I go camping and get off the beaten track a bit, the phones don't work and the batteries die in 2 or 3 hours. Sometimes texting would work, but not reliably.

Currently we have new iPhones. I am most impressed with the sound quality. It could be called "hi-fi", if such a thing existed for phones!...Oh I can actually talk to the wife while the lawnmower is

Combined with minutes that roll-over, despite the higher cost, we are getting more features and so far, perceived, better service. Will miss those cool Verizon ads, tho (just glad not to be paying for them anymore).

Last comment, a buddy of mine has been on AT&T cell service for nearly 20 years and wouldn't consider anything else. Not bad for half his life.

Do you have the new 3GS iphone?  My wife can't hear her 3G, nationally the coverage is bad, and her battery life is less than generous.  I was wondering if they fixed the sound and battery life.  BTW she doesn't have any of these troubles with her blackberry on Verizon or my G1 on Tmobile.

Do you know of a loophole in AT&T contracts?  I have friends who want to upgrade from 3g to 3gs, but they can't figure out how to quit early without a large penalty and another 2 year contract.  In the past, after a certain period of time, Verizon would let us change phones without penalty.

At&T will not even let them change numbers.  They were willing to have two phones but wanted to move the current number to the new phone.  It would still incur a penalty.

You might have better AT&T coverage in your area.  As Cellular One was the original cell company in the northwest it likely had the pick of tower locations.  Good coverage in your home area is much better than great coverage in the rest of the world.

I've been toying with buying the new 3gs and putting it on Tmobile.  If I want to use the data features I have to pay a second data charge however if I just use it as a phone and itouch the cost is nominal.  The second phone would share the minutes I'm already using.  Tmobile doesn't support iphones but also says, they have many iphones on the service. 

As to subsidies on the entry level iphone at AT&T looks to be 12ish dollars a month.  Instead of paying $299.00, I would have to pay $599.00 for the phone and an additional $30.00 per month for data.  Which equals a $60.00 per month reduction over my friends.  Phone would practically be free over a two year period.

Mike

Sold 85 Neoplan 33ft 6V92ta, sadly busless
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2009, 10:49:07 AM »

As to subsidies on the entry level iphone at AT&T looks to be 12ish dollars a month.  Instead of paying $299.00, I would have to pay $599.00 for the phone and an additional $30.00 per month for data.  Which equals a $60.00 per month reduction over my friends.  Phone would practically be free over a two year period.

I don't understand how you are saving $60 a month unless you're not counting the money you already spend with Tmobile.  I don't think the average iPhone user is going to save all that much (if anything) by buying a full price phone and using it with another carrier.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
loosenut
Confidently Ignorant

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2009, 11:18:30 AM »

You are correct.  I wasn't counting the money I spend on my first phone with Tmobile.  While at the AT&T store they said I couldn't add a second iphone without paying extra. 

It costs us right close to $100.00 a month for our iphone usage.  It costs about $70.00 for the same usage on tmobile and if I add an iphone to the account it will be another $30.00.  So in essence free.

Verizon also costs us around $70.00 but they cap the data at 5 gigs a month.  Plenty since it shares data with the other 2 plans.

I know it sounds cuckoo to have 3 providers but for work we wanted access hence Verizon and Tmobile.

The iphone was a vanity purchase for Lisa.  While the iphone has proven to be the worst phone with the worst coverage it is by far the most fun. 

Mike

Sold 85 Neoplan 33ft 6V92ta, sadly busless
Lonnie time to go
Lonnie

Saginaw, Michgan

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2009, 11:18:58 AM »

I don't think a cell phone can transfer from  one carrier to another

1976 4905
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2009, 01:27:27 PM »

Curiosity got the best of me.  I sent an email to verizon and enquired about not having a contract.  The following is thier response.   HTH    I also checked WalMart, thier new phone and plan is not in the local store yet. The lady told me later this week.
                                              JIm

My name is Elaine, and I appreciate your interest in becoming our customer, and I look forward to serving your wireless needs.

James, if you do not wish to sign a one or two-year customer agreement, you have the ability to choose a month-to-month service option. This new option is an extension of our overall commitment to delivering quality products and services over the nationís most reliable wireless network.

Our new month-to-month agreement gives you the freedom to purchase new devices at full-retail price, or use your own CDMA (Code Division Multiple Access) devices without committing to a one or two-year contract. This option also allows you to activate service and upgrade devices without a one or two-year agreement and it gives you the ability to terminate their service without incurring an Early Termination Fee.

Following is important information on month-to-month agreements:

∑ Available on all Nationwide Voice and Data plans.

∑ Customer credit checks apply.

∑ Customers who would like to activate new service will be charged an activation fee of $35.00 for primary or individual lines and $25.00 for each share line.

∑ For existing customers who may wish to switch, the existing minimum term must be fulfilled before moving to a month-to-month agreement.

∑ Not eligible for monthly access discounts available through your em

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: