Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 23, 2014, 11:33:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What happens when an Eagle rusts?  (Read 6680 times)
Fredward

MC-5A #5401 8" roof raise 8V71 with MT647

Ignore
« on: October 17, 2009, 07:37:43 AM »

I've got a friend looking at a model 05 Eagle. Before we inspect it I'm trying to understand what actually happens when that tubular steel frame behind the stainless panels rusts. Does the bus break in half? Engine drop out the rear? Front suspension break off?

Also, might need someone in the Denver area to do a drive by inspection for us?

Fred

Fred Thomson
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 07:54:19 AM »

First off from what I understand they leave little piles of red dust or red stains (in the rain) everywhere. And according to Cody in Michigan the plates get cheaper every year!

No seriously, you need to contact;
Gary LaBombard here on this board .
He has done some very extensive research and made a very informative video on where & what to look for when it comes to Eagles.

Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 08:04:24 AM »

The bus gets lighter over the years, hence you get better fuel mileage.  Seriously, if you're inspecting the bus, you should be seeing cracking at key points long before a component "falls off".  Personally-after seeing numerous rebuilds on Eagles, even with their great looks and suspension system, I'd spend my money elsewhere, like a MCI102C3.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Eagle Andy
Cowboy Coach

1968 Silver Eagle # 7481

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 08:06:24 AM »

Fred , They areas to look at are around the wheel wells on the boggie and  the drivers, My understanding of the Eagle is that the weight bareing is all done from the upper frame in the foof line and around the windows. Now Iam not the sharpest pencil in the box when in come to Eagles Iam new to this as well. You can go to the Eagles Internationl web site and look around there are some very smart  guys over there that eat and sleep Eagles . Good luck Andy

1968 Model 05 Eagle # 7481 Miles City MT
David Anderson

South Texas in the Eagle Ford Shale area

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 08:07:51 AM »

All the other brand owners make fun of it on this board. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
Eagle Andy
Cowboy Coach

1968 Silver Eagle # 7481

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 08:17:18 AM »

Well ya know what they say It's lonley at the TOP . lol

1968 Model 05 Eagle # 7481 Miles City MT
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2009, 08:29:08 AM »

Well ya know what they say It's lonley at the TOP . lol

Andy you are so right!

It's very lonely being up here on top with Setra's (Kassbohrer's refined and modern version of the Eagle, Kassbohrer was the original designer & mfg of the Eagle!) Paul Hastings, Harry aka "Harlee", Wayne Stanford, and me are the only ones I know of way up here on the top, but hey you Eagle owners are right up here beside us! Grin
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
PADoug

Squirrels store food in bus. Are they bus nuts?

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2009, 09:17:05 AM »

I thought they were laying eggs and spawning these...  Grin I keep following them hoping to catch one  Cheesy

http://www.greencarsite.co.uk/GREENNEWS/stretch-Smart-car.htm

Living life one day at a time, and keeping first things first. MM Philanthropy#225 F&AM Greensburg, PA
MacGyver

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2009, 03:50:08 PM »

Let's see...  Rust Dust = eggs....  Well, I'm glad that's not true, that'd be like a blue whale being born the size of what it eats then growing up into that HUGE animal...  We'd have trillions of little Eaglets running around right now with Leprechauns driving them!  XD  Of course, it wouldn't be so hard to find money then, and they'd immediately be hunted into extinction for the 1 microgram of gold they'd be carrying on them at the time...  But hey, it adds up after a while! lol

-Mac

1953 Flxible Visicoach
http://b.logthis.net/toothless
Ed Brenner

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2009, 04:19:05 PM »

If you own an Eagle (like me) It's an excuse to buy more tools !!!

You got to have a good Mig welder, Plasma cutter, power hacksaw, cutoff saws,

all kinds of clamps, grinders . Get the Idea!!

ED

Ed Brenner
77 Eagle 05  Murrells inlet, SC
 " While We're At It " A Busnut's most costly Phrase !!
rusty

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2009, 04:56:49 PM »

Fred, I would be glad to go look at an Eagle ( any Eagle). Maybe Jim can pry himself away from his enginw swap and go with me. If you need me to look at it call me. 303-591-0372

Good Luck Wayne
ArtGill

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2009, 06:00:10 PM »

Some Eagles, like the NJT model 20's were built with corten? steel which is rust resistant.  So, look around and get someone experienced to inspect the coach for you.

Art

Art & Cheryll Gill
Morehead City, NC
1989 Eagle Model 20 NJT, 6v92ta
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2009, 06:49:40 PM »

Yep.  I would be glad to go with Wayne.  S&S is still holding my engine ransom, so I can find the time to help with the inpection.

Jim

three zero three 478 thirty five zero one

BTW, as you probably know, both Wayne and I have Eagles, so we have a bit of an idea of what to look for Grin
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 07:20:43 PM by rv_safetyman » Logged

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
johns4104s

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2009, 07:02:08 PM »

Andy,

Do not think for one minute that the MCI,s are rust free, far from it. The problem is they rust from inside out (You dont know its there). My MCI 9 was completely stripped and all the square tubing that was rusted was removed, replaced, painted with the rust preventative. then the panels were re installed with a heavier gauge metal. Another gad area on the MCI,s is around the engine rails (holding the engine in) some have bad problems in this area.
Rusty has a lot of experience with the Eagles, The Eagle group are very active and will help you guys with any challenges you may encounter.

John

Hope this helps.
Ericbsc

73 05

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2009, 08:06:25 PM »

Eagles in salt will generally rust in the fenderwells. The entire bus is made up of trusses, each side below the windows, across all axles in both directions. The first place I would look is straight down the sides at the belt line. This is where the painted siding meets the anodized siding. If you see waves there RUNNNNN. Any water that gets in runs down to that point. That is the bottom rail of the main support for the side truss. You can see it from inside the bays. Constructed from 1.5 x 3" tube. Next look under the windows. This is the top of main side truss. AC bay is another one. Look around bottom. Main truss area for drive, bogie and engine cradle trusses. Hope this helps. As for the other bus wanabes, we still soar like an EAGLE even though we are surrounded by turkeys, mci's, gmc's etc.... LOL!!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: