Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 28, 2014, 04:12:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What happens when an Eagle rusts?  (Read 7130 times)
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2009, 08:11:31 PM »

As for the other bus wanabes, we still soar like an EAGLE even though we are surrounded by turkeys, mci's, gmc's etc.... LOL!!!

Ummm, Eric....You missed a couple of brands. I didn't see Prevost, Van Drool's, Setras (sorry BK, I had too), and Flex's.  Grin Grin Grin Surely MCI's can't be all that bad, can they? Grin. I am not going to even say anything about the GMC's, because good people drive them, and I know that it must be a good bus then Grin.

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
Ob1quixote

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2009, 08:49:43 PM »

Did you know that Grummans are all aluminum?
Aint nothing like aircraft grade aluminum at resisting rust.

Al - u - minny - um!
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2009, 11:00:42 PM »

Maybe this'll help

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2009, 04:00:25 AM »

If anyone wants an Eagle with NO rust, contact Sonnie Gray, he has one for sale. He told me he found one here in TX, crawled all over it, he says it's the cleanest rust free Eagle he has ever seen.

The price is pretty good too!

Paul

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
MacGyver

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2009, 04:33:09 AM »

A price would be nice. Smiley

-Mac

1953 Flxible Visicoach
http://b.logthis.net/toothless
johns4104s

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2009, 05:16:36 AM »

Ericbsc.

Based on your profile you dont even own a bus? Dont really have a profile I guess soaring is just wishful thinking for u?
Just know no bus gets away without any problems.

John
NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2009, 05:34:00 AM »

I have seen it, it do exist!!

However, except for the suspension, not much of it is original eagle,  I guess it is an

ERICBEAGLE!!!!! Cheesy

I'll go ahead and apologise for the bad humor now Wink

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink
Eagle Andy
Cowboy Coach

1968 Silver Eagle # 7481

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2009, 07:34:56 AM »

Now wait a minute I have the cleanest rust free Eagle LOL  I was very fortunate to find a Bus that is in very good shape with little or no rust issues. There out there you just have to be lucky .

1968 Model 05 Eagle # 7481 Miles City MT
Fredward

MC-5A #5401 8" roof raise 8V71 with MT647

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2009, 08:55:16 AM »

Thanks guys.

Jim does "S&S" mean Stewart and Stevenson? This '05 supposedly has an 8V71 rebuilt by their Denver location. I see from their web site they are a DD shop. Would you say thats a good thing?

Wayne and or Jim, we might take you up on your offer to give it a look. Its supposed to be in the Denver area. I can't recall the exact town its located in.

Fred

Fred Thomson
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2009, 11:04:02 AM »

Fred, yes it is Stewart and Stevenson.   They are a full DDC/Allison facility.  I am told that there work is very good.  The do a ton of both truck and bus work.  I would guess that they  still have competent people who can do mechanical two-stroke work, or did at that time.

I, of course, have an ax to grind with them, but that has nothing to do with the bus involved here.

Let us know.  I always enjoy getting together with Wayne, and this is a good excuse.

Jim

three zero three 478 thirty five zero one

BTW, thanks for keeping this thread civil.  We Eagle owners are used to taking a lot of guff, but sometimes it gets a little out of hand.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 11:06:31 AM by rv_safetyman » Logged

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2009, 11:17:06 AM »

BTW, thanks for keeping this thread civil.  We Eagle owners are used to taking a lot of guff, but sometimes it gets a little out of hand.

I wonder why? Eagles are a great bus, and the only people that I have known that really make fun of them, are the ones that wish (way down deep inside) they had Eagles. Maybe someday I will be able to afford one....

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
cody

« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2009, 04:06:11 PM »

Hello, my name is cody, I have an eagle, lol, is there a 12 step program for me? lol  Actually each bus has problems in their own areas, eagles have a chance of rust, mci seems to have a problem with ongoing air line or air bag problems, some buses have to have their parts come from europe, whatever bus your interested in, have it inspected, make sure the drive train is what you want, if you want an auto, don't buy a stick lol, have a mechanic or someone knowledgeable inspect it, do your homework and spend wisely up front to save money down the road.  Buses will hook you and then your a goner like the rest of us with the biggest differece being your in great company.  The one thing that you can count on is that any problem or ailment you fix will probably outlive you and maybe your kids too, they are built for the long haul but like anything else they may break from time to time, but the fix, if done properly will likely be permanent.
Fredward

MC-5A #5401 8" roof raise 8V71 with MT647

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2009, 05:45:08 PM »

I got nothing against Eagles as a matter of fact I like them. I have an MCI because i liked the styling and we have an excellent MCI shop here in the Minneapolis area. And for my first bus I wanted good resources nearby. I've seen rusty MCI's too. Mines got its share of rusted out areas in the steel tubing in the engine compartment area but we've fixed that all. Fortunately the air beams, and everything structural is OK.

It will be fun to research this Eagle. Its an 05 with 10 caps. Might get a chance to fly out and join you guys on an inspection. Lets see what the next few days bring. This is for my buddy who just sold his schoolie because he got tired of trying to keep up with me on the interstate LOL. (hope he doesn't read this post)

Fred

Fred Thomson
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2009, 05:50:52 PM »

Fred,do you have a vin number on the coach yet? Some ownership history could be good to know also,Hope your friend lands a good one, Good luck Grin

Van Cool

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
Garymci5

'67 MCI 5a; "Widebody"

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2009, 06:25:22 PM »

Our '76 "05" was a "good" deal -- for the guy who sold it to us-- but the fresh engine did get us across the country fully loaded to the gills, buckling panels and bent bogie axle included.  Bus bounced a lot, rusty clumps fell off once dealing with the "whoop dee doos" in Carolina- so bad at times had to apply the brakes to settle the front end. Made it to the west coast in once piece however. Blew the PTO shaft coming out of Yellow Stone and got stranded in a scary town for a couple days.

Eventually discovered the front suspension to space frame members were collapsing. Boxed them in with sheet metal with a small MIG welder. Thankfully my cat kept me company while running the welder into thermal shutdown  Grin

The raised panel solid Oak wood work was nice and massive Kubota 4cyl genset purred nicely.

With a turning circle of a city block, anything but truck stops and other large parking lots are nightmarish to deal with, especially when towing a car. Never again. Love the 35' MCI, turns great, PS too!

Glad the owner after me had the funds to treat the Eagle right.  Would I ever get another one, unlikely, but almost did-- a 1968 '01', with 6spd auto, 8V92TA and 10" raised roof for cheap and professional interior. Good pictures revealed too much rust damage for my taste.

Love the concept behind an Eagle, but can't justify the burden of frame issues. Can't afford one that's been redone, or newer to assure solid framework.

So, from GMC, to Eagle, to MCI we are. The GMC was flawless for a '63-- never knew how good I had it-- not any rust, none whatsoever.

Best of luck and let us know what you end up with.

Gary

Cheers,
Gary

Buy your oil at true wholesale prices!:
http://www.synthetic-motor-oilsite.com/1688537
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: