Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 01, 2014, 09:38:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What happens when an Eagle rusts?  (Read 6981 times)
Ericbsc

73 05

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2009, 08:41:18 PM »

Dear Johns 4014's

As a matter of fact I do own a RUST FREE Eagle. Made it that way myself by cutting out every pc. of rust as I stripped it to the bare frame myself. Took me 8 plus years to take it apart and put it together!! Have you ever done that, or are you to busy with your feeble effort to intimidate via the keys? Happens to be my second Eagle. I guess my little crack about flying like an Eagle ruffled your FEATHERS? Seems like all you wanabe's are very quick with your humor when you get a chance to trash the eagle, but turn into an butt when  someone puts it back at you!! This board has lost several experianced people because of just that!! I however am just NOT SKEERED!! I will come back to every come back. Why, Because if I can tear a 40k lb. bus apart and put it back together I'm more than a little crazy to start wiith. If you want to go have at it, but remember what they say in the nut house WERE ALL HERE BECAUSE WERE NOT ALL THERE!! p.s HAVE A NICE DAY EVEN THOUGH YOU DON'T HAVE AN EAGLE
Ericbsc

73 05

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2009, 09:21:44 PM »

Dear John, I have also added a picture and website so you will feel better. Probably dosen't look as nice as your little picture. But it is my bird. Just wondering why your picture looks like an mci when you are johns 4104's
gus

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2009, 10:16:00 PM »

It always amuses me when I see something advertised as being made of Al and that it won't rust!

Of course it won't rust, no non-ferrous metal will rust but it sure will corrode.

And what is rust.... corrosion!!

It makes no difference what you call corrosion it will make your metal toy fall apart in time.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
johns4104s

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2009, 03:40:30 AM »

Ericbsc,

Well said.

John
NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2009, 04:34:08 AM »

....remember what they say in the nut house WERE ALL HERE BECAUSE WERE NOT ALL THERE!! ...
Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

I guess that applies to the busnut house too,   

Thanks for the giggle this morning Grin

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink
Ericbsc

73 05

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2009, 04:37:03 AM »

John,  Even though you don't have an eagle you are an early bird up!!! Glad you have a good sense of humor also!! Thanks for the reply. Just courious is it 4104 of mci? Pic looks like MCI.
johns4104s

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2009, 05:18:48 AM »

Ericbsc,

The photo is a 1981 MCI 9, I did not do the conversion, but I know all about the rust that was on it. Florida airport low milage bus, but still had all sorts of rust??

John

rusty

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2009, 06:22:18 AM »

Fred, If you fly out and it is a one day trip I will be glad to pick you up at the airport that way you won't have to rent a car.

Wayne
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2009, 08:49:14 AM »

The photo is a 1981 MCI 9, I did not do the conversion, but I know all about the rust that was on it. Florida airport low milage bus, but still had all sorts of rust??

Florida can mean salt air (thus rust) if vehicles are operated near one of the coasts.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2009, 09:58:00 AM »

I have a 74 model non converted Eagle plus my driver with no rust they are out there but hard to find a school in CA had the last 05 built I looked at not a spec of rust no where sold for around 15 grand 
You have to love a Eagle to put the time,effort and money into one like most have done.
The first and a easy place to check is the electrical door if it is in good shape in that section it is probably a soild bus because that is the hardest section to repair the rest is a cake walk.

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2009, 12:16:02 PM »

Eagle for sale, some restoration needed.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2009, 12:20:16 PM »

Len,

Sorry, pal. You got it wrong. That happens to be a MCI. I have seen more MCI rust, then I care to admit.

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2009, 12:28:41 PM »

No John, it's an Eagle. But even in that condition it's a better bus than an MCI.  Cheesy

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2009, 01:05:07 PM »

If it's not a silly question, does anyone know why Eagles rust so badly? Is it bad design (eg. water traps), bad construction (eg. lack of rust protection), bad materials (eg. wrong type of steel), or something less obvious such galvanic corrosion between the different materials? Or is it all a myth and they're actually no worse than other buses of the same era?

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
Ob1quixote

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2009, 02:18:08 PM »

It always amuses me when I see something advertised as being made of Al and that it won't rust!

Of course it won't rust, no non-ferrous metal will rust but it sure will corrode.

And what is rust.... corrosion!!

It makes no difference what you call corrosion it will make your metal toy fall apart in time.

Not so fast...al-u-minny-um does oxidize, but its oxides form protection from further oxidation. Unless you have additional factors like being immersed in an electrolyte with an electrical charge passing through, it pretty much stops right there.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: