Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 29, 2014, 04:11:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ignored  (Read 3050 times)
ruthi

Ignore
« on: October 18, 2009, 06:35:47 PM »

What does it mean on the boards when you look at someones profile and it says ignored by X amount of members? Just curious. Huh

Mixed up Dina, ready for the road as of 12/25/2010
Home in middle Georgia, located somewhere in the
southeast most of the time.
FIRST RALLY ATTENDED: BUSSIN 2011!
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 06:45:14 PM »

Members can "ignore" another member's posts (the system won't display the content of their post's to you) if they wish by clicking the "ignore" button in the left "profile" column of any of that member's posts.

That entry you are looking at on a member's profile page reports how many people are ignoring that member at that moment.
cody

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 06:46:53 PM »

I was being ignored by one person but i guess they got bored and left me.
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 06:56:00 PM »

Ruthi,

There is a button under every members profile. You could push that button, and it wouldn't display that members post. It can be kinda handy. For example, there are three members that can't stand me. They simply pushed that ignore button and I don't bother them anymore. That is what it is for. Expearment with it. Pushe the button, and see what happens. Then just click the button again and it will unignore.

God bless.

John

Posted from my Itouch.

Cody looks like they all moved over to ignoring me. LOL

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
Paladin
Dave Knight

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 07:34:25 PM »

I'm being ignored by one person and I'm insulted! I thought I earned more than that by now.
Actually I have no idea who it is or why especially since I haven't been on much but it's ok with me either way.

'75 MC-8   'Event Horizon'
8V71  HT740
Salt Lake City, Utah

"Have bus will travel read the card of the man, a Knight without armor in a savage land...."
John316

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 07:42:53 PM »

If it makes you feel better, I can ignore you too Grin Grin Grin.

No really. I have missed you on here. I wondered what rock you pulled you bus under, and why you had dropped off.

God bless,

John

ruthi

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2009, 07:47:55 PM »

Shocked Seems pretty harsh and rude to me. If there is someone who you dont agree with, or like to read input, seems to me just skipping that input would be the right thing to do. Maybe I am just too nice, but probably not, as I tend to say what is on my mind most of the time. Maybe that is what gets some of us in trouble sometimes. I think it has to do with age, lol. When you start getting older, what others think of you doesnt seem quite as important. Grin I guess to each their own. I havent personally met anyone on here, other than Mike, but as I said before, everyone seems nice and helpful. It doesnt take too long to learn who knows what, and how much. We have learned quite a bit about the old gmcs, by experience, but, as far as our Dina, it is a new learning exper.  Grin  Thanks all!

John316

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2009, 07:50:41 PM »

Ruthi,

I didn't agree with your post. I think that I will ignore you now Grin Cheesy Grin Sometimes people need that ignore button if they can't do it themselves. Helps the blood pressure if you feel strongly about something Wink

God bless,

John

ruthi

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2009, 08:01:51 PM »

Grin I see your point. I guess if I get that upset with someone, I would be more likely to tell them, than ignore. It helps me to get it off my chest, and then they can ignore me. Roll Eyes

HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2009, 08:03:53 PM »

Did John say something?   Grin Grin Grin

I think most of the ignores got their start in the Off Topic section where discussions get a little more intense discussing highly subjective matters.

I have noticed some ignores that I can't imagine why.  I think sometimes it is just someone playing around with the ignore feature and leaving someone ignored.
ruthi

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2009, 08:11:35 PM »

Well, i wont mess with the button, just in case Grin   I hope someday to get to meet some of the people on here. Then, I will know who to ignore, lol Wink

Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2009, 03:02:11 AM »

I think it's regrettable that the option has to exist, but I'm actually using it myself now after a member said something absolutely shameful in the Off-Topic section. I did draft a reply to that member's post at the time, but realised on reflection that his thinking was so off-kilter that I was wasting my time, and the ignore function was the only worthwhile option. I haven't been able to bring myself to visit Off-Topic since, which is a shame as there were some great discussions in there which taught me a lot about alternative viewpoints on big topics.

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2009, 03:19:47 AM »

Ok, two questions...

First, why doesn't the ignore button show up for me?

Second, what the heck is a magazine exchange button?  I see one under Jeremy's profile.

Ok, I just answered my second question. I saw the same button under mine and clicked on it. Took me to my own website.  I guess Jeremy has a website called Magazine Exchange.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 04:29:47 AM by gumpy » Logged

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2009, 03:37:57 AM »

I guess Jeremy has a website called Magazine Exchange.

Yup. And thanks for advertising the button which everyone should click and pay us a visit - but visit us again in a few weeks when our new state-of-the-art make-money-by-selling-your-old-magazines-in-our-online-marketplace-just-like-on-eBay-or-Amazon site will be up and running!

And, to answer your first question, I don't think you can see your own ignore button as the software considers that the idea of choosing to ignore yourself to be a little too existential.

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2009, 04:29:24 AM »

And, to answer your first question, I don't think you can see your own ignore button as the software considers that the idea of choosing to ignore yourself to be a little too existential.

Well that wasn't quite what I was asking, though sometimes I think I'm being ignored by even my own self. I hate it when I'm trying to have an intelligent conversation with myself, and find I'm being ignored!

I can't see an ignore button on anyone's profile.

I know I'm special, but come on... Sometimes I really want to ignore people.

Wish I could get an ignore button for all the stupid drivers to and from work. Better yet, give me an incinerate button!

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

John316

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2009, 04:39:33 AM »

Gumpy,

Look at the picture of my bus, when you read this post. Then look just under it. You will see a little Ignore button. Push that little button, and I won't bother you anymore Grin Cheesy Grin. Then you can go to a persons profile page, and it will tell you how many people are ignoring that person.

So again, all you do is look at my post, for example. Go under my picture, and under how many posts I have posted, and click that ignore button. See what happens. Then all you have to do to unignore me, is simply push that again.

God bless,

John

gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2009, 04:46:12 AM »

Yeah, I figured out where it's supposed to be.....

Here's a screne shot of  your message. There are only two buttons, which I've circled and labled in red. 

Am I missing something completely obvious?  (wouldn't be the first time)

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

John316

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2009, 04:55:22 AM »

I am getting a screen shot resized. Give me a second.....

God bless,

John

JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2009, 04:57:01 AM »

HMMMMM?Huh  I guess, they do not want you ignoring anyone? LOL  It should be a bar under the icons you have circled that says IGNORE with a red X.  Maybe HTR or Phil can resolve the issue.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
John316

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2009, 05:04:17 AM »

Here it is. See whether you can view that. I am not as good at resizing them, as you are.

Sorry for the poor drawing. I only have paint on this computer.

Maybe Jack is right, maybe they made a decision so that you couldn't ignore anybody Grin Cheesy Grin.

God bless,

John

John316

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2009, 05:07:55 AM »

Maybe Chrome doesn't display that button...I can check when I am on my other computer. I like firefox better, that is why I don't have it on this one.

God bless,

John

Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2009, 05:13:08 AM »

Jeremy

I have a wife and kids to ignore me.  No reason to do it myself.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2009, 05:39:21 AM »

If you can see me,

It works on chrome

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2009, 06:05:20 AM »

Yeah, I figured out where it's supposed to be.....

Here's a screne shot of  your message. There are only two buttons, which I've circled and labled in red. 

Am I missing something completely obvious?  (wouldn't be the first time)

Maybe you're not using the default theme?  Not everything is in the other themes.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
ruthi

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2009, 06:27:17 AM »

Wow, didnt know I would stir up with the ignore button. Now there will be an ignore button craze. Grin But, really, I guess I can see how there might be a time that you would have to use the button. Keeps the air a little cleaner, lol.

Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2009, 06:28:22 AM »

Here it is. See whether you can view that. I am not as good at resizing them, as you are.

Sorry for the poor drawing. I only have paint on this computer.

Maybe Jack is right, maybe they made a decision so that you couldn't ignore anybody Grin Cheesy Grin.

God bless,

John

Hmmm, somehow I got drug into this. Grin
But for the record here's how everybody in this thread rates (being ignored by how many people!)
John is # 1 @ 4 ignores
Cody is #2 @ 2 ignores
Paladin & Len tied # 3/4 @ 1 ignores each
Ruthi, Jack, Craig, Mike, Jeremy, Brian, NewbeeMC9 and myself don't even rate as nobody cares enough to ignor any of us!  Sad   Cry  !  Grin
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
cody

« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2009, 06:33:48 AM »

Wow, I've got 2 ignorages now, yesterday I didn't have any, didn't think i was back long enough to pi$$ off anyone that quickly.
John316

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2009, 06:36:56 AM »

Wow, BK! I must be really, special, or something Grin. I came out number one, this time Grin. Sorry, I am sure that I just "happened" (really I did Grin), to take a screenshot of your button.

Sorry pal. Grin

Actually, I am offended that you posted the stats. I think that I will ignore you now Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Cody, looks like somebody was enjoying themselves. I saw your post, so that must mean I don't have you ignored Shocked Grin Cheesy.

God bless,

John (getting over it now Cheesy)

(I am kidding Wink)

HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2009, 06:53:02 AM »

Unfortunately the ignore button and the bookmarks bar only work in the default theme. 

I agree it is a shame an ignore button is needed, but I am glad it is there for those that it helps with their enjoyment of this forum.  Pretty much everybody is capable of rubbing somebody the wrong way at times.
cody

« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2009, 07:05:25 AM »

Did mike say something? lol
Runcutter

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2009, 07:05:42 AM »

I now use Jeremy's method - I seldom go to the off-topic section (just enough to see if there are any new jokes).  The political rantings and ravings raised my blood pressure too much.  Further, while the on-topic section mostly emphasizes our common bond/interest, much of the off-topic discussion seems to focus on differences - to the point of seeing who can light the dynamite fuse the fastest.

Sometime within the last two years, I decided that I couldn't post a note that we planted a bush in our front yard, because someone could sieze the moment (the word bush) and launch into a diatribe.  

There was an earlier post about the ignore button, that made me aware of it.  I did consider putting one individual on ignore (and discovered that I wouldn't be the first).  I don't expect us to agree with each other on everything.  However, I don't see where trying to force our ideas on another is productive.  In fact, I think we've had people leave over it --- and thus lost some valuable contributors.

What I'd like to see is the option to ignore, but without it showing on the individual's profile.  I don't see the usefullness, or where it helps us with our common interests, to see "this individual ignored by ____ people.

Arthur  

Arthur Gaudet    Carrollton (Dallas area) Texas 
1968 PD-4107

Working in the bus industry provides us a great opportunity - to be of service to others
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2009, 07:05:51 AM »

Unfortunately the ignore button and the bookmarks bar only work in the default theme. 

I agree it is a shame an ignore button is needed, but I am glad it is there for those that it helps with their enjoyment of this forum.  Pretty much everybody is capable of rubbing somebody the wrong way at times.

Hey I resemble that! Grin
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
John316

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2009, 07:26:37 AM »

Did mike say something? lol

I don't know. I had to program my own ignore button Grin Grin Grin. Something about mods...They must have the default theme turned off Grin.

I am kidding, Mike.

God bless,

John

gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2009, 07:42:52 AM »

Ok. I must not be using the default theme.

Well, that's ok. I like the look and feel of whatever I'm using so won't change that. I'll just have to continue on my normal way of ignoring everyone all by myself  Cheesy

There's only a couple I really wanted it for, and they were off topic stuff anyway, which I've been filtering simply by ignoring the whole thread, so kinda the same thing.

I do kind of like the idea of displaying how many people are ignoring them in their profile. Maybe when the number gets high they will finally realize that nobody is listening to all their crap and then they''ll either shut up or just go away. Kind of a subtle way to vote them off the island.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 08:41:41 AM by gumpy » Logged

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2009, 07:49:35 AM »

Well John, basic observation on life - some people are hard to ignore.   Grin Grin Grin
John316

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2009, 07:51:25 AM »

Well John, basic observation on life - some people are hard to ignore.   Grin Grin Grin

Ain't that the truth. And mods are right up there at the top Grin Cheesy Grin.

Really, I am very grateful for all that you guys do. I am not complaining at all, and am just very grateful.

God bless,

John

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: