Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 31, 2014, 05:05:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My transmission scares me  (Read 3470 times)
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2009, 09:26:33 AM »

There is a difference between firm shifts & hard shifts.

Firm shifts will allow the clutches to slip less (last longer) & heat the transmission fluid less.

Hard shifts lead to broken parts. Like clutches, gears, the rest of the drive train, engine mounts. . . .

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2009, 09:34:04 AM »

Firm shifts will allow the clutches to slip less (last longer) & heat the transmission fluid less.

Firm shifting is a better description of what was happening to my Ford tranny after the upgrade.  I couldn't find the right word before I guess.

I'm not sure how to determine the difference really.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Garymci5

'67 MCI 5a; "Widebody"

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2009, 10:03:54 AM »

A better trans fluid will surely help cold vs hot shifting characteristics and make it last longer, too.

When I lived in Wisconsin, during the winter, my bus wouldn't go over 50MPG foot to the floor until the auto trans, axle and engine warmed up 10 miles later- and the tires would finally become round again.

That's when I realize just how much power oil can rob and switched to AMSOIL. I shudder to think how long it took to build oil pressure,even in non-extreme temps... Shocked

If anyone is interested I can help you buy it at wholesale, which will save alot.

Cheers,
Gary

Cheers,
Gary

Buy your oil at true wholesale prices!:
http://www.synthetic-motor-oilsite.com/1688537
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2009, 10:12:16 AM »

Hard shifts lead to broken parts. Like clutches, gears, the rest of the drive train, engine mounts. . . .

I tend to agree with you on this one.  The shift I am experiencing when not all the way on the fuel pedal is not right. 

1984 Silver Eagle Model 10 6V92 Allison auto tranny
www.snakebreaker.com
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2009, 10:13:51 AM »

If you have a 740 your modulator is out of adjustment do you have a air throttle some install a air throttle with the manual modulator it will work but needs a fine adjustment.
The Allision doesn't have to shift hard it is a fairly easy job to set the trimmer springs , valves and shift points when you are changing the oil.
I have a 740 and people that have rode in my bus will tell you that you don't notice it even when it goes into lockup.
When I get back to the coach I will PM my cell # we are in the Austin area often

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2009, 12:12:24 PM »

When I lived in Wisconsin, during the winter, my bus wouldn't go over 50MPG foot to the floor until the auto trans, axle and engine warmed up 10 miles later- and the tires would finally become round again.

Cool, Gary. I would love to even get a quarter of that Cool. Got any tips, for the rest of us Grin Grin Grin. 10 MPG would be great for me.

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2009, 04:42:18 PM »

Here is the info plate on the side of the tranny

This part is hanging down

www.snakebreaker.com
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2009, 08:00:53 AM »

Bump for the day.  does anyone know what that part is.  It is hanging down alongside the transmission and looks as if it has been undone for quite some time.  On the very end is coupler with threads.  It was full of grease and dirt so I know it has been there for a while.  The bus originally had a manual tranny and was later swapped with the Allison 4 speed modelMT654.

www.snakebreaker.com
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2009, 08:05:58 AM »

Wal1809, that is your problem Kim builds a great transmission but he will not adjust the trimmer springs for a smooth shift as he builds the same for different applications  
Take to Dallas Tx to Inland (Industrail Transmission) they can make it shift smooth and that part you are looking at is the speedometer drive 
good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2009, 08:15:34 AM »

Hello LUVRBUS  I am confused.  Who is Kim?  My speedometer does not work in the bus.  Can this one be changed to fit the Allison?  Can u pm me your telephone number.  I promise I will only pain you for a little while with questions.

www.snakebreaker.com
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2009, 08:21:14 AM »

Hello LUVRBUS  I am confused.  Who is Kim?  My speedometer does not work in the bus.  Can this one be changed to fit the Allison?  Can u pm me your telephone number.  I promise I will only pain you for a little while with questions.

The tag shows AZ transmission & engine exchange.
I told you Clifford knows any & everybody who's anybody in the bus world!
Kim would be who built your transmission @ AZ transmission & engine exchange.

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2009, 09:22:00 AM »

Ahhhh you weren't BSn were you?

www.snakebreaker.com
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2009, 10:15:09 AM »

I called out to AZ and spoke with Kim's son.  We talked about it and his suggestion was to attempt to adjust the air module on the side of the tranny first before taking it to a mechanic.  He said to take it off and place another o ring in there and then put it back.  SO here goes.

www.snakebreaker.com
Just Dallas
Bus Conversion Stuff on a Budget

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2009, 10:32:34 AM »

Removed
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 04:51:53 PM by Now Just Dallas » Logged

I'm just an old chunk of coal... but I'm gonna be a diamond someday.
DaveG

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2009, 03:42:17 PM »

What a great bunch of guys!
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: