Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 27, 2014, 12:47:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Battery desulphation question  (Read 3247 times)
Clarke Echols

Ignore
« on: July 20, 2006, 07:56:50 PM »

I'm working on a 1997 Ford F-250 3/4-ton pickup with a diesel engine and automatic transmission.

It has two big 12-volt batteries in parallel.  One is the factory original; the other from Autozone
about 2 years later.  Thus they are about 7 and 9 years old.  They don't seem to hold a charge
as well as a new one (gee, I wonder why...? :-) ).

My question for the battery gurus around here is:  Will desuphating restore their performance, or
is it time to pack it in for a new pair?

Clarke
Beatenbo

1993 MCI 102 C3 Cat Power

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2006, 07:59:27 PM »

This will. Irejuved a 2001 lawnmower bat sitting dead over a year. www.batterylifesaver.com
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2006, 08:15:29 PM »

Heard some good stuff about EDTH, but don't have any personal experience. Been wanting to try some. I have a couple deep cycle boat batteries in the garage that are at least 10 years old and
dead as can be. There's only one place in Utah that I know of where you can buy it. I know
one busnut who has put it in his batteries, and he thinks it's working well, but I don't think his
batteries were sulfated to begin with.

One day I'll get around to ordering some and try it.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
pvcces

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006, 09:00:12 PM »

Hi, Clarke.

Here is a number from that e place that might work pretty well.

Desulfators seem to work very well for us.

Good luck.

Tom Caffrey
Suncatcher
Ketchikan, Alaska

Tom Caffrey PD4106-2576
Suncatcher
Ketchikan, Alaska
pipes
Tug boat dude.

I was captain on this Tugboat around Nigeria

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2006, 09:36:04 PM »

Hi Tom....I called that number ....Nobody there! Will that stuff rejuvinate an 8D that some ole geezer gave me?

Stanwood WA.. North of Seattle.
05 Eagle plus air bags.
lesrMC9

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2006, 10:19:02 PM »

for those interested in EDTH, do a directory search for Univar ( chemical distributor ) in your area!
I purchased some, small quantities are expensive!
this search is from Gumpy's area
http://yellowpages.superpages.com/listings.jsp?SRC=com411&sid=12214&STYPE=S&PG=L&R=N&C=&N=univar&T=&S=MN&search=Find+It
Les R
lesrMC9

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2006, 10:28:18 PM »

further to my previous reply; when using EDTH you must disolve the powder in warm water then put in cells of battery because the the powder will not disolve in electrolite. [/color]
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2006, 04:36:39 AM »

Yeah, I was wondering about that.

Do you know if it will desolve in WARM electrolyte outside the battery?

If I were to suck out some of the electrolyte and warm it up, and then put the powder in that, would it disolve?  Then I could shoot it back into the batteries.

This seems like the most logical way to get it into a full battery without loosing any of the electrolyte that's in there.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

lesrMC9

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2006, 06:32:27 AM »

Hi Gumpy;  the the powder will not disolve in electrolite.
2 tablespoons of EDTH per cell into a clear container, add hot water (just enough to disolve the powder) in ounces times number of cells then add to battery. the cells in golf cart batteries are large enough that 2 or 3 ounces more liquid will not make a difference unless the electrolite is up past the "o" ring
Les R
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2006, 07:47:55 AM »

So, I assume you've been using this stuff?

What are you thoughts on it?

Do you know what Univar charges for it?  I think the outfit in Utah is something like $12/lb.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

Dallas

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2006, 08:19:54 AM »

So, I assume you've been using this stuff?

What are you thoughts on it?

Do you know what Univar charges for it?  I think the outfit in Utah is something like $12/lb.

Craig,
I've used EDTA before with mixed results, but mostly the problems I had could be traced back to my own stupidity.
I've had elcheapo car battery in our buick die on me and used EDTA to clean it up and it worked well. It did finally die because of a shorted cell, but it took it another year to do it.
I also brought a 4D back that had been sitting for at least two years out in the open in North Dakota. That was 8 years ago and the battery is still starting the tractor we mounted it in. This battery had loads of crud built up on the plates, enough in fact, that when you looked down the filler holes, you couldn't see any plates, just white/grey crap.

According to the instructions, you only use one teaspoon per cell for a T-105, but, me, I had to go more is better, and added 3 teaspoons to one T-145 and it caused the plates to be shorted out at the bottom where all the crud falls to.

Ever since then I've used 1 tsp/cell for a T-105 or a start battery and 2tsp/cell for an 8D or a T-145. I haven't had any L16's to work with yet, so I don't know how much to add to them.

If you are talking about the place in Orem, Ut. It's called:

Trailhead Supply 801 225 3931 or 801 226 6630
325 E. 1165 N.
Orem UT 84057
e-mail to: trailheadsupply@webtv.net

web site: www.webspawner.com/users/edta

and their price went up not too long ago to $16.00/pound with $6.00 shipping, or a cost of $22.00.

Still, there are about 40teaspoons to a pound so you can do a LOT of batteries with the stuff.

At one teaspoon per cell you can do 13.3 T-105s.

I do have to mention that I use the 'desulphate' mode on my smart charger to help, but acording to what I've read, it isn't really required.

Good Luck!
pvcces

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2006, 11:31:43 PM »

Hi, Pipes.

I know who that old geezer is!

I think if there are no shorted cells, and you use a 1 amp charger with a good desulfater for about three weeks, it's got a good chance of recovering.

If you don't feel like fooling with it, I'll haul it off the next time we stop by your place. So, it's just up to you.

Good luck.

Tom Caffrey
Suncatcher
Ketchikan, Alaska

Tom Caffrey PD4106-2576
Suncatcher
Ketchikan, Alaska
lesrMC9

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2006, 03:05:33 PM »

If any of you decide to contact UNIVAR, ask for "Tetrasodium EDTA" as there is several EDTA s
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: