Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 22, 2014, 01:16:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A few generator questions  (Read 638 times)
tomhamrick

Ignore
« on: October 26, 2009, 11:50:44 AM »

Trying to get my generator installed. What I have is a Martin Diesel 15KW with a 3 cylinder Yanmar and is 14 years old. Look and runs like new. I have not been able to get books yet but I am trying. I did talk with Martin Diesel and the only thing he suggested as far as the generator head was to check the rear bearing and replace if needed. The bearing looks to be original and has no loose motion. Is this a preventative measure to just go ahead and replace or leave it alone?
Second question, what sound proofing material have you used and been happy with? I have so far seen Sounddown and Whispermat. There are so many thicknesses and lb/sq inch, how do I know which I need???  Third and last for this post...I would also like to wrap the exhaust to keep heat out of the compartment. Which one is the recommendation for this?

Thanks a bunch,
Tom Hamrick
1984 Eagle 10S

Tom Hamrick
1991 Prevost H3-40 VIP
1981 Eagle 10
Forest City, NC
niles500
Niles500

ROSIE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 12:41:54 PM »

Tom - If you talked to Paul @ Martin you've talked to one of the smartest I've met and their most experienced tech - He recommends replacing the bearing @ about 4 or 5 thousand hours and I'd have to trust his experience - Their shop rates are low but they more than make it up in parts $$$$ - I plan on replacing mine at about that time, when I'm traveling in their area - That way I'll know it's done right - Keep his number handy as he can diagnose problems in seconds over the phone if your tech is qualified - This will save you plenty of $$$$ if your unit breaks down on the road and the tech has to spend hours reading the manual - BTW their address says Defiance OH but they're actually in Independence - HTH

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 01:11:40 PM »

Tom,

That sound stuff is really spendy.  Many here have used sheet lead and sheet rubber sandwiched between plywood.  Foam pated to the interior is also a must.  You need to get the air in and out through ducts that are designed to inhibit noise.  Do a search for this info....it is here in abundance.

Wet Wrap or Blanket is the real deal.  Half inch thick ceramic wool and fiberglass cloth exterior shell.  Spendy but no alternative.

HTH,

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: