Bus Conversion Magazine Bulletin Board
November 21, 2017, 12:20:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Regional vs line haul tires?  (Read 5542 times)
belfert

Ignore
« on: October 28, 2009, 10:47:32 AM »

What exactly are the differences betwen regional and line haul tires?  I saw a website today that said regional tires are good up to 500 mile trips.  (Not buying tires for a few more years.  I am just curious.)

They don't ask when you buy passenger car tires how many miles you are driving on a trip.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 11:21:05 AM »

Never heard the terms applied to tires.

What happens when you drive a regional tire over 500 miles?  Does it explode?

Sounds like a marketing thing to me.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 11:25:43 AM »

My thought was transit (regional) tires might have a speed limitation?
 Can you post the cite that you found for us to read?
Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 11:30:06 AM »

I just looked at five different tire manufacturer web sites.  All of them list both regional and line/long haul tires.

See http://www.firestonetrucktires.com/us_eng/what/index.asp for just one place where 500 miles is mentioned for long hauls.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 11:38:50 AM »

what the differences are, from the Michelin site:

http://www.michelintruck.com/michelintruck/tires-retreads/selector/tireSelector-application.jsp

It seems that long haul tires may be optimized for long life and better economy at high speed, low abrasion, low impact applications while regional tires are tougher to withstand the junk that you get with curbing, potholes, crappy local roads, and may therefore ride rougher and get worse fuel economy.  Sounds reasonable to me.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 11:53:17 AM »

Regional tires are what are used on transit buses, Garbage trucks, anything else that runs local limited routes and lower speeds!
They have stiffer sidewalls (for bus drivers who think scraping the curbs are part of breaking, or for garbage trucks jumping curbs, etc.)

So they are limited on speed & distances to keep them from overheating!
FWIW Grin   BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
WEC4104

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 12:56:23 PM »

I've always understood the regional tires to have the reinforced sidewall, as mentioned by BK.  Added protection against the occasional curb encounter.   I thought the tradeoff was ride comfort and/or lower fuel mileage.  I could also understand it if they were rated at a lower top speed.  But the 500 mile limit to guard against overheating seems a bit screwy to me.   If somebody drives five straight hours at 65 mph, (325 miles) the tires are already as hot as they are going to get. It is not like the temperature keeps on going up hour after hour.  I also doubt that holding steady at that temp for a few extra hours makes any difference. Just my interpretation.

If you're going to be dumb, you gotta be tough.
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 01:43:35 PM »

I don't think they mean that there is a five hundred mile limit on the tires.  I think that what they mean is that if you consistently drive long haul, the regional tires may not make the most economic sense to use.

By the same token, if you are mostly suburban driving, the long haul tires may end up costing you more.  If you get a good deal on regional tires that are SPEED RATED for your use, then get them.  Fuel economy may suffer a bit, but it might be worth it.

Those ratings are intended for people who use up their tires on a regular basis.

Some of the really heavy sidewall tires used on city buses might overheat on long hauls.  There is also a difference between regional and urban tires.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
wildbob24

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2009, 01:55:46 PM »

You might want to read this recent thread. Scroll down to a paragraph by Sean that makes a nice comparison of  "Regional" vs "Highway" tires:

http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=12833.0

P8M4905A-1308, 8V71 w/V730
Custom Coach Conversion
Greenville, GA
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2009, 02:34:09 PM »

Regional tires- most still have a 75mph rating.  Have reinforced sidewalls (good for both jumping curbs and the occasional rub), higher scrub resistant rubber compound, many will have rock ejection technology from the treat so you don't get a rock stuck and pound the tire to bits.  Line haul tires- will have a 75mph rating.  Have thinner side walls for better flexing and heat rejection at continuous high speeds, have different tread design for better rolling resistance at highway speeds.  Might ride better with the thinner side walls as compared to regional tires, but could be more prone to side wall blow out if scuffed hard.
I have Michelin 11R-24.5 16ply XZE regional tires that ride well and in 15,000 miles of driving, still look new.  Most tire manufacturers recommend regional type tires for RV use.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2009, 03:08:03 PM »

Regional tires- most still have a 75mph rating.  Have reinforced sidewalls (good for both jumping curbs and the occasional rub), higher scrub resistant rubber compound, many will have rock ejection technology from the treat so you don't get a rock stuck and pound the tire to bits.  Line haul tires- will have a 75mph rating.  Have thinner side walls for better flexing and heat rejection at continuous high speeds, have different tread design for better rolling resistance at highway speeds.  Might ride better with the thinner side walls as compared to regional tires, but could be more prone to side wall blow out if scuffed hard.
I have Michelin 11R-24.5 16ply XZE regional tires that ride well and in 15,000 miles of driving, still look new.  Most tire manufacturers recommend regional type tires for RV use.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom,
Not trying to argue with you, but most of the "regional tires I see have  Max speed 55 MPH   right on the side wall! FWIW   Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Gary '79 5C

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2009, 04:11:00 PM »

BK,
The regional tires Firestone manufactures has a 75 mph limit, just as the line haul tires. I have been learning more and more than I ever thought there was about tires recently.  I believe Bridgestone & Michelins are the same.

I been studing all three.

Have a great evening & enjoy the WS.

Experience is something you get Just after you needed it....
Ocean City, NJ
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2009, 04:53:04 PM »

BK- you're getting regional tires confused with transit rated tires.  Yes transit bus tires have 55mph on the side, but regional are many times rated at 75mph also.  This is just a small example of the many ratings and possibilities for proper tires on your bus.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2009, 06:05:45 PM »

If one does pretty much all interstate driving would long haul tires be recommended?  Sean recommends regional tires for most bus nuts as he figures the average bus nut is not on interstates more than 50% of the time.

I'm hoping I can get three or more years out of my tires as they are three and a half years old now with no issues yet.  I have Firestone FS590 Plus long haul tires now and would have no issue getting another set if the price is right.

The question about regional vs long haul tires came to mind when I saw someone said they bought Kumho regional tires for under $300.

buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2009, 12:02:46 PM »

Best tire is the cheapest one you like the look of?

a bit of noisy lug on the drives to get out of the wet field, or all position for the quiet ride.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: