Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 22, 2014, 03:58:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oil  (Read 3167 times)
busnut104

Ignore
Oil
« on: April 10, 2006, 08:06:32 PM »

I use Rotela 40 weight in my bus (8v92) but it is no longer available in my area, dealer says they are only supplying big dealers. . So I had to buy Chevron Delo 40. Have any of you had any experience with this oil. Good or bad. 
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2006, 08:11:05 PM »

Delo is good oil the Delo 100 40W is prefered and also getting hard to find! The Delo 400 40W is not as good as the 100 but is better than a multi weight of any brand!  Grin Knuckle!

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2006, 06:38:16 AM »

Rotella  40 Wt. is readily available from distributors and can be ordered from any NAPA store. Do a bit of searching in your area for another dealer.

On the Delo, I recall reading somewhere where either the 100 or 400 40 Wt (can't remember which) is no longer blended to meet the DD specs. You want to make sure it meets CF-2 specifications.

If you want to do some more reading on the subject, you can download DD specification 7SE270 from their website:

http://www.detroitdiesel.com/support/on-highway/manuals/Lubricants_Fuels_Coolants/index.asp
« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 07:17:39 AM by rv_safetyman » Logged

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2006, 06:56:50 AM »

Chevron Delo 100 40wt is what I use. I have my oil changed by a shop that buys it in bulk and pumps it in. I carry several plastic gallon jugs with me, as I use about a gallon every 1500-2000 miles. Last time I was in WY, I bought 5 cases (6 gal per case). I figure that should last me quite awhile, since I don't use it for the actual oil changes. I try to change my oil once a year or 8000 miles, whichever comes first, so I use about 4 gallons between oil changes.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2006, 09:56:17 AM »

Hey busnut104,

Check out this site he has a nice section on oil ! http://www.tejascoach.com/ The Delo 100 is the prefered oil but getting very hard to locate! I'm thinking about contacting them and becoming a dealer for it if I can get it and would be able have it in stock for "Bus Nuts" !

www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
busnut104

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2006, 08:16:15 PM »

I use Rotela 40 weight in my bus (8v92) but it is no longer available in my area, dealer says they are only supplying big dealers. . So I had to buy Chevron Delo 40. Have any of you had any experience with this oil. Good or bad. 
[What is the difference in the 100 and the 400. I ask the dist. to send me spec. on the oil. There was none on the drum it's self.
Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2006, 08:46:01 PM »

[What is the difference in the 100 and the 400. I ask the dist. to send me spec. on the oil. There was none on the drum it's self.
Did ya check out Tejas site as I suggested above? He's done the research on post's it all for the rest of us! Not like he's pushing his private label stuff! Hey wait a minute if I can get some gallon jugs printed up to say Busted Knuckle's Oil I could buy it in bulk and sell it! ya theres an idea! LOL! Knuckle!

www.kylakesidetravel.net

FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2006, 12:41:39 PM »

My local NAPA did not have it in stock, but was able to order it in.

Of course you have to buy by the case on a special order.

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
Dallas

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2006, 12:46:54 PM »

If any one is coming to the East Coast Get together we're having in May, the lady at the store can get lot's of Rotella 40Wt. She got the first case by accident last week and I snapped it up. I'm gonna buy 2 more cases next week.
I guess her supplier has a couple of pallets that got mis-counted when it came into the warehouse.
I'll post the price as soon as she lets me know.
Dallas
http://www.busconversionstuff.com/eventpage.htm
http://www.catsscratchinpost.com
busnut104

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2006, 07:36:24 PM »

I called my supplier and Iam having them pickup the 400 and they order me a drum of 100. Told them I was not taking a chance on a new motor.
nickbeall

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2006, 09:16:09 PM »

I use chevron delo 100 40 weight in my 1981 RTS II. you need to use delo 100 in your 8V92.

Nick beall
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: