Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 24, 2014, 01:31:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ok OK Confession Time,  (Read 3348 times)
Gary '79 5C

Ignore
« on: October 31, 2009, 05:27:58 PM »

I was setting up the TV digital converter for use and was waiting for the setup to timeout. Cleaning up other things within the interior, got the TV working and shut it down.

Started the bus and drove into the hanger, Yes you guessed it, sheared off the Wingard Batwing antenna. I always knew it would be like the two types of pilots who fly retractable gear, those who have landed gear up, and those who will....

I broke the base that swivels within the larger mounting base. I looked it up on the Wingard site and looks to be a relative inexpensive part. I hope I do not have to remove the base plate, but we will see.

Taking suggestions for an obnoxious, but effective reminder......   

I am thinking of a large plastic spring clip either on the roof antenna, or on the chime toggle switch.

Gary

Experience is something you get Just after you needed it....
Ocean City, NJ
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 05:31:03 PM »

Tag on the handle?

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
Gary '79 5C

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2009, 05:35:37 PM »

Ed,

Are you asking if there is a tag on the handle?  No, might have been there originally, but I am the second owner, and no tag.
I would a tendendance to ignore the tag. I know petty, but I am getting worse as I age.

I might go back to a mini check list magnet on the steering wheel. Bay doors secure, Unplugged, Antenna Dn, Door Locked

Thanks,

Gary

Ocean City, NJ
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2009, 05:37:45 PM »

Something hanging from the steering wheel is likely the most effective and least obtrusive.  Something hanging from the crank is a tad de-classe if you have champagne guests over.  For family its probably OK too but I favour the steering wheel reminder.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2009, 05:40:46 PM »

A clip on the antennae winder that is transferred to the steering wheel when deployed.

Still depends on your self discipline/functioning gray matter to actually move it.

Stop parking indoors?

Stop watching TV?

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2009, 05:44:24 PM »

I was suggesting putting a tag on the handle. Only trouble with that is you have to see it before you leave. Smiley  Something on the steering wheel is probably more likely to be noticed. Grin

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
jackhartjr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2009, 05:51:29 PM »

When I put a chock in front of my trailer tires I have a cardboard card that I hang from the visor so that I see it right in front of my face...mine says 'Get out and move the chock dummy!"
Yours could say, "Now Gary...remember what happended when you didn't retract the antenna!" Grin
Jack

Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)
Gary '79 5C

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2009, 05:58:55 PM »

Jack,
Maybe I could use the clip to attach the invoice for the replacement parts on the steering wheel or the chime toggle.....Just so I can savor the rememberance.
I am thinking I would move the clip, hence it would remind me when I start up..
Hey look on the bright side, the Mrs. was not with me...

Bob of the North,
No champagne crowd for me, they left with Nick & the new Prevost he ferried south.....  I love the dryness of your humor, however...

Good Evening to all,

Ocean City, NJ
gyrocrasher

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2009, 06:26:57 PM »

I always use a sock or glove on the gear shifter. Goes on before the ant. goes up. Smiley Mitch
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2009, 06:27:21 PM »

My Vogue MH has an alarm on the dash for antenna up.  Depending on how much trouble it would be to run a couple of wires, it might work for you. A mercury switch from an old thermostat or magnetic alarm switch would work.

If I had it to do over again, I would alarm the shore power cable, the water line, sewer hose, antenna, cable connection, and anything else I could think of.

With some of the technology out there today, it might be easy to do with RF or digital transmitters instead of wiring.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2009, 03:46:55 AM »

Jack,
Maybe I could use the clip to attach the invoice for the replacement parts on the steering wheel or the chime toggle.....Just so I can savor the rememberance.
I am thinking I would move the clip, hence it would remind me when I start up..
Hey look on the bright side, the Mrs. was not with me...

Photocopy your invoice, reducing it to credit card size. Laminate it with plastic, like a driver's license. Punch a hole and attach to a plastic spring clip from the hardware store. Attach to
the handle of the antenna. When you raise the antenna, move it to the visor or steering wheel.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2009, 04:18:29 AM »

The only problem I see is with these great suggestions, is trying to remember to remember! Grin

We don't have a visor, but I like the idea of a card sandwiched between two layers of plastic, above the driver, mounted to the underside of the header cabinet on a spring hinge. It would include a "Must Do List" before departing.

That's what I'm going to do if I can remember to do it! Wink

Paul

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2009, 04:20:26 AM »

Camping World makes a nice bright red sign with a spring clip that you can hang from where ever to remind you to put down the antenna before moving.  I clip mine to the air horn pulls and works well every time.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2009, 04:25:47 AM »

I can relate.  The only thing I have not done YET is drive down the road with the awning extended!!!!  

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2009, 05:06:47 AM »

I work for 13 days a year at an RV parking lot at the exit.  Most years I have to remind a number of RVers to lower antennas and fold in steps.  A few times I've even had to let people know they left the door on their trailer open!

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
jackhartjr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2009, 06:24:05 AM »

You could also get a little suction cup like goes in showers and stick in front of the windshield with the card that reminds you to put the antenna down, retract the awning, put your chocks back in the bus, make sure the seat to the right has the gurl in it, etc! Grin
Jack

Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)
pvcces

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2009, 08:05:00 PM »

We hang a little velcro type strip on the hand crank. When we want to crank the antenna up, we move the velcro strip to the top of the steering wheel with the wheel straight ahead.

For us, the cues have been in just the right place at the right time. I don't think that we will change anything, for now.

Tom Caffrey

Tom Caffrey PD4106-2576
Suncatcher
Ketchikan, Alaska
philiptompkjns

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2009, 10:35:16 PM »

I was setting up the TV digital converter for use and was waiting for the setup to timeout. Cleaning up other things within the interior, got the TV working and shut it down.

Started the bus and drove into the hanger, Yes you guessed it, sheared off the Wingard Batwing antenna. I always knew it would be like the two types of pilots who fly retractable gear, those who have landed gear up, and those who will....

I broke the base that swivels within the larger mounting base. I looked it up on the Wingard site and looks to be a relative inexpensive part. I hope I do not have to remove the base plate, but we will see.

Taking suggestions for an obnoxious, but effective reminder......   

I am thinking of a large plastic spring clip either on the roof antenna, or on the chime toggle switch.

Gary

luckily I'm one of "those who will"
Spoken from someone who's career depends on it, I hope you are wrong.

maybe try getting a beefier antenna, next time the hangar will lose  Grin

1990 102a3... Just got started, don't  know  what I'm doing.
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2009, 01:54:57 AM »

Hang a weight on a piece of string from an appropriate place on the hanger ceiling. When driving the bus into the hanger the weight will strike the windscreen in front of the driver and remind him to go and retract the antenna!

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2009, 06:29:28 AM »

Hang a weight on a piece of string from an appropriate place on the hanger ceiling. When driving the bus into the hanger the weight will strike the windscreen in front of the driver and remind him to go and retract the antenna!

Jeremy

And the newly cracked windshield too! Grin
Grin  BK  Grin

Sorry Jeremy I just couldn't resist! Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
rusty

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2009, 06:46:52 AM »

This can be simply  done by mounting a micro switch on the roof that is wired thru a relay that is wired thru the inginion switch and then wired thru the generator switch. Then you wire the + (positive) side of the generator to the frame of the drivers seat and the - ( negetive) side of the generator to the gas pedal. It will then gently remind you the antenna is up. Or you can do it the hard way and tell the boss to remind you, somehow the ladies always remember these thing.

Good Luck Wayne
junkman42

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2009, 07:35:49 AM »

Make the weight a tennis ball!  Saves the glass.  I have one in My garage so I do not bump the wall with My vette.  Short and old and cannot see over the hood,LOL.  john
loosenut
Confidently Ignorant

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2009, 08:06:51 AM »

If you bus uses a key to start you could hang it to the crank.

Mike

Sold 85 Neoplan 33ft 6V92ta, sadly busless
RichardEntrekin

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2009, 09:25:57 AM »

I have an ignition key, that is blank. It will not start the rig. I keep the key on a big orange tag that resides by the video equipment. If the antenna or dish goes up, the blank key goes in the ignition. It was worked well so far.

Richard Entrekin
95 Newell, Detroit S 60
Subaru Outback toad
Huntington WV

Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
CS

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2009, 02:05:36 PM »

Hang your keys on the crank

Sorry I missed previous reply Embarrassed
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 02:09:58 PM by CS » Logged
BG6

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2009, 06:18:12 PM »

If ir's a crank-up, take out the crank retaining screw and put a hook on it.  Pull it off when the antenna is up and hang it from the steering wheel.  Do similar things for your shore power, water and waste umbilicals, so that if they are unsecured, there is some key component on the steering wheel.

REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT!!!

thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2009, 09:28:10 AM »

Years ago, I borrowed my Dad's RV and it didn't take me long to destroy the antennae.  First night out of the campground and it was gone... victim of a low branch and my own absent-mindedness.  Fortunately, Dad was pretty understanding.  It never did get fixed, so we never did develop any kind of reminder system.  Just watched movies from then on until it got sold. LOL

"Life is like a game of Pool... No matter how bad it looks, you take your shot."
NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2009, 05:26:31 PM »

I took the TV's off of my bus,  I did get a bus to go somewhere else and watch TV Wink

Anyway, if you must, why not just skip the antenna and watch it on the Internet.
http://www.hulu.com/

just google internet TV,   you'll find plenty of nothing on Cheesy

gotta run my show is on Cheesy

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2009, 05:59:21 PM »

I took the TV's off of my bus,  I did get a bus to go somewhere else and watch TV Wink

AMEN!!!  We don't even have cable at the house.  Every time I do watch something on TV, I feel like I lose about 10 IQ points.

"Life is like a game of Pool... No matter how bad it looks, you take your shot."
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: