Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 30, 2014, 05:19:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiserís website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MCI 9 windshield removal and reinstall how difficult??  (Read 3851 times)
RickB

81 MCI 9 smooth side 8V71 Allison 754

Ignore
« on: November 02, 2009, 03:47:40 PM »

Hey all,

I have two couches that need reupholstering and I would really like to take them out to have them done. Seems like the only way to get them in and out is through the windshield. I am trying to pick the less difficult of the two and proceed accordingly.

So, it's either have this upholstery guy do them in the bus for $300 each or my brother in law will do them really cheap but I would have to take them out.

Anybody ever pull their windshield. Also, I am in Minnesota so is ambient temp an issue with the adhesives???

Thanks,

Rick

I will drive my Detroit hard... I will drive my Detroit hard.
bcaddel

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 04:00:26 PM »

Rick
I also have a couch that I plan to have recovered this fall. I haven't looked underneath the couch yet, but my hope is I can take the back off and then take the seat out separately from the back using the door. I anxious to read the responses you receive from the board.

My wife has already purchased the fabric to recover the couch, is the $300 number you referenced seem to be a fair and reasonable estimate to have a couch recovered?

Bob

Bob Caddel, Las Vegas Nevada
1971 MC7, 8V71, Allison MT654
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 04:34:23 PM »

5 years ago we bought a 6ft. long Flexsteel couch and got it in thru the door on my 5A. Had to take out the co-pilot seat. Had to try it a couple of different ways but finally got it in.  Didn't want to take out the windshields. Grin  I think we had to take part of the couch apart too.

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 05:05:43 PM »

Yeah, I've done it. Won't do it again if I can help it. I have insurance now, and let the good boys at C&J replace mine when they need it.

It's not a job for a single person. Suction cups work well (Harbor Freight).

I don't recommend you even attempt it unless you have the spline installation tool. With that, it's pretty easy. Without it, it's nearly impossible to get the
spline in. There are no adhesives. It's just a rubber gasket with a spline fitted into a groove around the outside of it, though  you might need to put some
butyl caulk in it to get it sealed well to the frame. I have one that I can't get to stop leaking.

You should probably buy a new rubber gasket and spline if you do decide to pull it. They weather and get hard and are difficult to reinstall if
more than a few years old.

How about taking out a side window?  Might be easier.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009, 06:01:47 PM »

for what its worth.We rapped the couch real tight with handi wrap that reduced the size a bunch and took it out the door.

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
Sam 4106

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2009, 06:37:19 PM »

Hi Rick,
We just removed the sofa and 2 barrel chairs from our bus Saturday, through the RV door in the side of our bus. We took the arms off the sofa, removed the drawer underneath, and removed the metal frame. That left just the back and seat which were then light enough for Char and me to handle. Your brother-in-law will probably have to do some disassembly anyway to reupholster. We removed the furniture so we could replace the carpet in the living area. I had decided to remove a side window if we couldn't get the furniture out the door. Good luck with however you do it.
Sam 4106/MC 8

1976 MCI-8TA with 8V92 DDEC II and Allison HT740
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2009, 06:46:02 PM »

Rick,

To answer your question, YES, there is a lot of risk. Doable, yes. Tough, yes. We attempted to do ours. We broke our first attempt, and the bus shop installed the second one. We learned how to do it since then, so we are going to remove it to put the fridge, and couches in. Not to mention, the one side has a really big couple of cracks, due to a rock. We have two windshields on hand, incase we break one.

One windshield, $250. Two windshields, $500. Reupholster guy come out, $300. Take you pick.

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
Iver

1979 MCI-9

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2009, 07:10:35 PM »

Like Craig,  I changed out both windshields.  Unless absolutely necessary I wouldn't do it again.  Unless the rubber is in very good shape, you will need to buy new.

I had suction cups and I made a tool to put the spine in place, but it was still very time consuming.   Side window could be an option.

Literally, if it ain't broke,  don't change it.....
          Iver.

Abbotsford, British Columbia, Canada
"Life may not be the party we hoped for,
But while we are here we might as well dance".
RickB

81 MCI 9 smooth side 8V71 Allison 754

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2009, 08:01:29 PM »

Good advice one and all...

I'm leaning towards either having the guy redo them in the bus or taking them apart.

Side windows don't seem big enough but I'll do some measuring. Maybe I'll get lucky

The windshield stays in.

Just a heads up for those of you that know that I won't be happy until I repower the old girl.

God willing, I will have a new motor and transmission in by next spring.

I'm driving some 6V92 and some 8V92's over the next couple weeks to see what the difference the nearly 200 cubic inches is firsthand. I'm still unexplainably reluctant to go back to a wet sleeve 2 stroke even though I put 50k on a 6V92 in my last bus and she climbed every mountain I ever pointed her towards. Go figure.

Thanks for all the help,

Rick

I will drive my Detroit hard... I will drive my Detroit hard.
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2009, 04:43:00 AM »

When we needed to replace our refrigerator (that would not fit through the door), we opted to remove a side window. This was much easier and less chance of breaking it.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2009, 06:21:56 AM »

Rick if ya just want to practice the windshield thing, I have a Setra here that needs 2 new windshields.

I'd be willing to let ya help learn on it!

But keep in mind the Setra windshields are much bigger than a 9! Grin

I do have the windshields in stock, so drop in anytime! After we do mine we can do yours! 
Or you could just blow a hole in the side of the bus. Take the couches out, frame the hole, and once the couches are back in fill the hole with a slide out! Grin
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2009, 09:25:57 AM »

What type of couches are they exactly?  My Flexsteel folds down in to a bed and I have had it in and out several times.  It fits through my door.

I could probably come over on the weekend and take a look at the issue.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
busshawg

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2009, 07:57:48 AM »

Craig hit it bang on, pretty simple with the right tools, have done both of mine. We has a spline tool and a piece of rope, no sunction cups. I will echo what has been said, 2 man job at least. Pain in the ### if you still have you destination sign in. Also have to agree with Jack, the side window is way easier if you can get away with it.

Grant

Have Fun!!
Grant
crown

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2009, 02:16:13 PM »

what is a spline tool and where to get one or how to make one pics thanks john

john
 57 crown
 costa rica
busshawg

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2009, 02:07:47 PM »

I tried to find a pic of one but can't seem to find one. I'll try to describe it I guess. It is a hand held tool that simply pushes the rubber strip into the gap into the bigger rubber seal. Hmmm.... Once the winshield in in place , in the bigger rubber seal you have to place a rubber strip into a gap in the larger seal, this keeps the windshield in place tightly and seals the deal. It is next to impossible to simply just push it in so this tool is simply a handle that has close to a 90 degree piece that goes approx 1 inch to either side of the bottom of the handle. One end gets placed into the groove of the rubber seal already in place spreading it allowing room for the rubber strip you need to install. The rubber strip is placed though a hole in the back part allowing the rubber strip to fall into the gap that the front part is allowing for it. You push this tool through this area all the way around the windshield installing the rubber strip. You will need to use lots of window cleaner during this process to keep both rubber pieces lubed so you can actually get through it. Some of the corners are hard to get around. I hope this helps as I know I didn't do a great job of decribing it

Grant

Have Fun!!
Grant
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: