Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 22, 2014, 08:55:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Time To Pass The Keys  (Read 4610 times)
luvrbus

Ignore
« on: November 03, 2009, 05:16:47 AM »

You guys have told me I would know when it was time and that time has come for me .
I will 70 in a month and after Quartzsite I am going to sell my beloved Eagle and devote what time my maker has given me to live on this earth to my wife of over 40 years, my children and my grandkids what a joy the grandkids have been.
Bus people are the greatest people on earth I have many friends that I have met over the years since I started this in 1968 and remain friends to this day and besides that they are making the 12r tires a lot heavier now LOL.This maybe off topic but I did mention Eagle 

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 05:22:52 AM »

You guys have told me I would know when it was time and that time has come for me .
I will 70 in a month and after Quartzsite I am going to sell my beloved Eagle and devote what time my maker has given me to live on this earth to my wife of over 40 years, my children and my grandkids what a joy the grandkids have been.
Bus people are the greatest people on earth I have many friends that I have met over the years since I started this in 1968 and remain friends to this day and besides that they are making the 12r tires a lot heavier now LOL.This maybe off topic but I did mention Eagle 

good luck

All I can say is, "Well, it's about time!"   Cheesy

Seriously, I think the mark of a great mind is that the person knows his limitations, and I applaud you for coming to this decision on your own. I cannot imagine how I'll feel when that time comes for me.

Of course, like the song says, "... you can check out any time you like, but  you can never leave."  It applies to the this community and bulletin board as well as the famed hotel.

Good luck to you and your family.

craig

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
trucktramp

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 06:03:26 AM »

I have been a lurker on this board for about a year or so and in this time I have seen that you are one of the few 2 stroke gurus remaining.  I have been around diesels for many years but know only a little about the 2 strokes.  Your vast knowledge will be greatly missed by all of us here.  I can only hope that you will check in from time to time to continue to guide us along the path. 
Should you decide to return to bussing, remember that 70 is the new 40 so you are still young.  Good luck in your next adventure my friend.

Dennis Watson
KB8KNP
Scotts, Michigan
1966 MCI MC5A
8V71
Spicer 4 Speed Manual
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 06:09:08 AM »

Well Clifford as usual I truly respect your judgement, and if you feel 70 is the time for you, then so be it!

I have truly enjoyed watching, reading and learning form you, and hope you'll continue to grace us with your presence and wisdom from time to time!

Enjoy the family, especially the young ones they are our future! Most of all enjoy what ever time you have left to the MAX! And try to keep Sonnie, Doyle, & Van inline! Grin
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Eagle Andy
Cowboy Coach

1968 Silver Eagle # 7481

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 06:17:43 AM »

Well Clifford , when talked on sunday you mentioned it. and I truly understand . Iam still not going to leave you alone.  Grin and that makes meeting you in Quartzite in Jan that much more speciel to me . You have been and still remain a hero in the Bus world ,your unselfessness  and willinness to help anyone anytime is what makes this insane world go around. THANK YOU  you are my bus hero.

Andy

1968 Model 05 Eagle # 7481 Miles City MT
rusty

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 06:19:53 AM »

Clifford, I hope the only keys you give up are to the bus. I hope you still have a little time to pound on the computer keys and pass on some more of your knowledge. See you in Quartzsite and will miss you at our future Eagle rallys.

Good Luck Wayne
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 07:16:25 AM »

I will just echo what has been said.  I highly respect you for knowing when to step away from the bus and for recognizing the priorities in life (family).  But as others have said, I hope you will still hang out here sharing your experience and bus wisdom in your spare time.
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2009, 07:54:37 AM »

Clifford,Sonja.Before I start getting teary eyed,and all emotional Cry over this LOL,you should also know that you guy's will always be like Family to Mom,Cheryl and I ,you are like the Dad I never had and a true friend to me,well you know what I am saying(honey where's the tissue's Smiley), any way there I got that of my chest (hope I'm not outta line by saying this but it is from the Heart buddy,really now! I mean it!)

YOU ARE THE BEST!

VAN
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 07:56:12 AM by van » Logged

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2009, 07:57:45 AM »

We never met but I value your conversation and advice.  And I very much respect your choice.  Thanks for all the fish...

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
busdriver58

Eagles Fan

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2009, 10:09:11 AM »

Clifford, I don't drove to your place a few weeks ago because of time and now I know, that was a bad decision.

We never meet but your comments in the past months where very helpfull and I apprecciate a lot what you offered, just a few in this world offer his help for nothing.

If you decided to let it go your treasure to have time for the family I need to learn from you.

Julio

Chihuahua, MX
1969 Eagle 05 8V92/Auto &
1964 Eagle 01 8V71/Std
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2009, 11:34:56 AM »

Wait, I thought 70 was the new 68 (had to skip a number to avoid confusion). 

You don't have to believe everything you think.
busshawg

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2009, 12:34:04 PM »

I too will echo what has been said, except for the father thing as we have never met. Plus that would make Van and I brothers. Never had a brother before, although I am adopted!  Anyway thanks for your wealth of info here. It really does help many of us to build the courage and have the self confidence to carry on with these nutty projects. When people such as yourself speak here, there are more listening that what you realize.

Grant

Have Fun!!
Grant
akroyaleagle

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2009, 02:58:44 PM »

NO!

I've never even met you but you are near the top of my hope to list!

I do understand though. I too am getting older and slower. Frankie and I are nearing 43 years together.

I find it harder each time to do the bus projects now. I have been remodeling my Eagle all summer and still have to reinstall the rear service bay and the new dash.

Arthritis severely limits my bus work. Services are getting harder each time.

Please do not leave the Boards just because you sell the coach. If all the knowledgeable folks leave, where will the new nuts get their guidance? They aren't making any new two stroke guys!

Best of luck to you in whatever you decide to do.

Joe Laird
'78 Eagle
Huron, South Dakota
John Z
1959 GM PD-4104 4139 Northern Minnesota

"Tubby"

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2009, 04:07:41 PM »

Clifford, you are exactly what i think of when i think of this bus forum! When i broke down on the north TX border a few years ago, it was you that responded in about 10 minutes after i posted my predicament. You put me in touch with Sonny, and he and Mike saved my trip!!! I will never forget you guys.

I can understand the shift in priority from bus to family. God bless you and them, and i hope you all enjoy each other as much as is possible. You know you will always be welcome to drop in if you ever get up north, no matter what you are driving! Take care.

Custom patches, caps, t-shirts, lapel pins etc since 1994.
Silver Brook Custom Embroidery and Patches
www.silverbrook-mn.com

"Now I Know Why Turtles Look So Smug"
Van
Billy Van Hagen

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2009, 04:09:59 PM »

They aren't making any new two stroke guys!

Joe yes they are Smiley,right here on the boards,I ain't there yet,but hope to be  Wink Smiley

Van

CindyandJohn

1989 Eagle Model 15 6V92

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2009, 04:34:09 PM »

luvrbus

We have never met - but thank you for all of your advice in the past.

Please remember this - I bought my bus from a gentleman ( Win Silver ) who was about 81 and he was only selling it to downgrade to a 40 footer so his wife would be more comfortable driving!

I do respect your choice and the fact that you have made that choice. I hope we all can be as smart when that time comes. I have a few more years left ( about 28 to be exact )...

John

Will be away from our bus for a while Sad
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2009, 05:09:18 PM »

If it is time, then, so be it!

But, you old fart, you'd better hang around the boards for some time to come.

There are a few of us who need correction from time to time!

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
DaveG

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2009, 05:21:47 PM »

Echoing all that the others have said, and wishing you good luck Clifford
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2009, 05:52:05 PM »

I knew this was coming so it doesn't suprise me, I just hated seeing it actually happening. I know it will happen to all of us someday, and I applaud you for making a very difficult decision.

A lot of people here know how I had the privilege of meeting you and Sonja. Like John, I was broke down in Palm Springs, lost the air compressor on the Detroit. You and your wife drove from Mohave and delivered it in person, you didn't have to do it, you wanted to. I hope we all can learn from your generous offer to help, never expecting anything in return.

Please keep in touch with the bus boards when you can, I've got your phone number so you can expect a phone call from time to time. Hopefully I can "Pass It Forward" to others in need.

Keep in touch,

Paul

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
gus

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2009, 07:09:57 PM »

70 is a bit young to be giving up the bus!!

It would be nice to be 70 again!!

I'll be 80 in March and I have no plan to give mine up until I can't drive it anymore, which could  be tomorrow!

I use mine to take along my lovely wife, who loves it, and to visit my seven grandbabies scattered on three different coasts. They all love it too.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2009, 07:21:49 PM »

I got that problem solved Gus I am moving close to all 16 grandkids instead of 1500 miles one way only 20 miles and then they can come visit me LOL 

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2009, 07:26:05 PM »

luvrbus - clifford,

last summer when i didn't know who knew what and i sure didn't, your name came up and you offered help, quickly and easily.  i'm not sure i said thanks, but i'm saying it now.

we did get it put back together, mostly.  i never suspected you were that old, nor too old to drive your bus.  but i respect your decision and thank you again for helping everyone on the board.

please stay in touch, attend the rallies, and enjoy the kids, and grandkids.

happy trails.

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.
gus

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2009, 07:29:00 PM »

A good move.

Since mine are in three different directions I haven't figured out a way to do that yet!!

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2009, 07:37:52 PM »

Clifford,

I had no idea. Thanks for letting us know. I will post more later, when I can formulate my thoughts better. I can tell you, that if you stop posting as much on the board, you will be one of my most missed posters. You are one (maybe the one) of my absolute favorite posters, on here. I have come to greatly respect your opinions, and advice....

Right now I gotta get to bed. I have been running like crazy today, and I'm beat.

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
cody

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2009, 07:42:07 PM »

At some point we will all reach the point that we will take our gloves off and pass the keys on like you say.  When we do that and we all will at some point, the only thing that will matter is if we made a difference to anyone, did we affect anyone in a positive way, we can't answer that, only the ones around us can do that, just continue to be the person that everyone around you is saying you are and you'll do just fine, changing a persons lifestyle doesn't mean the end, only a new chapter beginning.  We'll meet up at some point and probably kick some tires, I'll kick your lexus tires and you can kick my ford granada, meanwhile the coffee is on. lol
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2009, 10:08:02 PM »

Quote from: cody
At some point we will all reach the point that we will take our gloves off and pass the keys on like you say.

Not me! I already know I'm gonna die peacefully in my sleep just like my grand pappy! NOT SCREAMING & HOLLERING LIKE EVERYONE else riding the bus he was driving! Grin

Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Sojourner
Jesus Love You!

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2009, 12:03:27 AM »

Clifford…I can see you have a good point is to spend more time with the growing family tree and the maker. However maybe one of your children could take ownership so it be remembered and they can enjoy taking a trip whenever. I can see perhaps one or more of your grand children would like see and learn of what a bus conversion is really like when they grow older.

Whatever you do…in your spare time…keep us bus nut in check if you will.

Thank you for all your efforts of helping me and others in a moment of time.

The reports show where your loving heart is. You’re special!

Keep looking up and take care, Gerald

http://dalesdesigns.net/names.htm
Ps 28 Blessed be the LORD, because he hath heard the voice of my supplications. The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2009, 05:43:27 AM »

Clifford,
    I hope you continue to read & post on this BB.  I look at it as your are moving on to the next chapter of your life.  Your post have given priceless help to so many of us, not to mention your hands on help to many.  Best to you & your family in this new chapter.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2009, 06:05:26 AM »

Clifford,

Best of luck, as many on here I have enjoyed your contributions and learning from your wisdom.

Please, don't become a stranger on the BB's but instead a Professor of Buses emeritus.

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
Lonnie time to go
Lonnie

Saginaw, Michgan

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2009, 08:56:48 AM »

We never met but would hate to loose someone with your skills.
Your still young I would not rush to sell your bus maybe keep it around for vacations
Who know after a few years you may wish you still had the bus.
Lonnie

1976 4905
Kevin

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2009, 07:41:50 PM »

luvrbus, I've enjoyed visiting this site and reading your posts over the years. I absorb information though don't often participate in discussions. As Gus pointed out, it's pretty cool that you are relocating closer to your kin. Perhaps you can "nail 'er to the gov" all the way there, too!!!

Here's wishing you the best, and you never know, the luv for your bus may be too strong to tear yourselves apart! Can't ya keep 'er and just do the Sunday drive occasionally?

P.S. BK is off-balanced, and I like it!

Kev

"To the gov!!!"
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2009, 04:45:17 AM »

Life is a new adventure every day being a new adventure....Enjoy life... Keep the bus..I had (have) a old corvette,put it up for sale,my kids and grand kids Thur a fit..you see I still have a old corvette in mothballs..Enjoy the new adventure ....remember the old..Life is good....Buses are good.....Family is great.. Thank you....Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
Peabody

Bus wannabe,Gillig chassis,3208 cat

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2009, 08:36:52 AM »

Clifford,
 You are what this board is about so I hope to see you around from time to time. From one Eagle lover to another,remember when Eagles sit you can hear them Rust.This goes for humans too so stay active and enjoy your new adventure.

Biggest Hugs Peabody

Enjoy Life...This is not a rehearsal!
Want to make God laugh?        Make plans
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2009, 08:51:52 PM »

Clifford,

"love is the ability and willingness to accept for another what they want for themselves with no insistence that they please you".  I can think of no one in these parts that will be so sorely missed as you and your Lady.  Still, I hear support for your decision that clearly demonstrates unselfish love.  I envy you that and that is the most sincerely flattering comment i can make.  And for me I can only say "aw crap!" you have been a Prince of a man and I will miss your not having a bus.  I know you will still be here for all of us and that you will never leave our hearts, at least, cause none of will let you.

Unless the old Winnie breaks down, I will see you in Quartz site in Jan.

Happy trails to you both,

John

PS, You keep a copy of these posts so your Grand kids will see that many felt about you as they have and the rest of your family is spread all over this country.  God Bless

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Christyhicks

1991 Beaver Prevost LeMirage XL

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2009, 04:37:23 AM »

Awwww, now I just feel sad! Cry  Christy Hicks

If chased by a bear, you don't need to run faster than the bear, just faster than your companion!
muddog16
Example is more powerful than reproach. ~Aesop

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2009, 08:31:25 AM »

Clifford, I've passed on commenting on this many times in the last few days, for not really knowing how to respond adequately and to be honest about it, there are very, very few busnuts left that have your knowledge and experience contributing to this forum. I for one appreciate everything you have helped me with and thank you for being there!  Experience gained over a life time of trials and triumphs are only possible when a person has the courage to "try something", you have been one of those people, not only doing, but passing it on........I don't pass much on......because I'm still in the learning phase and I'm not even sure if some of the things I've tried will even work! Time will tell!  Again Clifford I know we haven't met, but somehow your wisdom and experience tell me a couple of things, you are truly a good person and care about helping we less knowing busnuts, and also that family is what really matters in this world, enjoy those grand children each and every day....spend some time teaching them too!.......Thanks again Clifford!

Pat

1982 Prevost LeMirage
8V92TA/HT754

http://prevostlemirage.blogspot.com/
Van
Billy Van Hagen

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2009, 08:46:37 AM »

Well I just want to once more extend my grateful thanks to clifford. As most of the other members of this board have said,you are a gem when it comes helping a person out,but let's not forget this (for me)is not in the past tense as the help is still poured out to this present day. You see ,this past Saturday was spent pulling my old beaten down 6/92 out of my eagle,and man what a job that was.Thanks Buddy

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: