Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 25, 2014, 12:51:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Burning Man  (Read 2322 times)
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« on: July 21, 2006, 07:35:23 PM »

Looking on info on Burning Man,

When it is held and who has been there.  What is it like, and Why?

Dan Odio has told me a little about it and say's alot of busses go there.

Nick Badame

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
Burgermeister

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2006, 07:50:59 PM »

Talk to Gary Stadler,  he does a big setup there!
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2006, 08:00:00 PM »

I did some searching and found some photos and a web page

http://www.burningman.com/first_timers/
« Last Edit: July 21, 2006, 08:14:04 PM by Nick Badame Refrig. Co. » Logged

Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2006, 09:54:21 PM »

Make sure you check it out and know what you would be getting into before you go. It is an “anything goes” event, and I mean anything!

Dan Odio has told me a little about it and say's alot of busses go there

I’m sure all those busses are not church buses Wink.

I find it hard to believe that some people will take their kids to it. If it were a movie I would give it at least a NC-17 rating.

Tongue Peace out Dude! Tongue

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
It’s the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
boogiethecat

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2006, 10:49:21 PM »

Hey Nick, you found the cool photos of my art installation at night!!  It's an 85 foot diameter inflatable- no structure whatsoever except air.  Inside is a 40 foot dome and inside of that is a representation of the inside of a brain- around 3000 microprocessors operate colored LEDs to simulate a gigantic 3-D system of neurons... That big beam of light out the top is a 3000 watt arc lamp.  Sure attracts bugs!!!!
 Too bad I won't be bringing it this year, as I had a high tech inflatable support column made for this year and it exploded a few weeks ago.  Oops... (it was a fabric tube 2 feet in diameter, 37 feet long, pressurized to 15psi...quite an air tank.  The manufacturer screwed up and it failed the stress test.  KaBoom. Oh well, next year!!!)

Anyway. Burning Man is in just a few weeks- August 28th, about 2 hours's drive from Reno. Nv. and it's the mostest funnest, craziest, amazing thing I've ever encountered.  Out in the middle of nowhere on a flat dead dry lake, a city rises in just a few days, populated with now some 40,000 people in every kind of vehicle and camping apparatus you could ever imagine, lit up brighter and more amazing than Vegas ever knew, an absolute blast.   Not for the weak or faint hearted... dust storms that can make 3 foot visibility have been known to go for over a solid day, it's hot, it's cold, but it's amazing.   I built my Crown originally just to take me there and take care of me and 3 friends, and it does a great job of it.

If you're interested in seeing what young and old alike can do when most of the "rules" are temporarily suspended, and want to see some amazing art, Architecture, fire art, and general insane fun, get yourself a ticket and come.  At least once, then you can decide if it's for you again.  And if you do come, have fun trying to explain it to anyone... it's impossible to understand unless you've seen it firsthand.

There's a million busses there and actually a few of them are church busses.  I hosted a catholic priest there last year and he had a great time.  But I'd agree that most of the people there are not all that conservative....
Wheee!!!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2006, 10:56:41 PM by boogiethecat » Logged

1962 Crown
San Diego, Ca
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2006, 04:49:13 AM »

Gary,

Wow, I would like to visit it some time. I've been hearing about it for years and your art is very Kool!

I'll have to let you know when I plan to come.

Nick-

boogiethecat

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2006, 07:58:43 AM »

FWIW if you think you may like it, go the extra mile and don't put coming to the event off. Do it now.
I did the same thing... thought about it for many years and the only reason I finally went is that a friend was so adamamt that I'd like it, he rented me a stick n staple, bought me a ticket, and forced me to come.  Geez, what an idiot I'd been... turned out to be my MOST favorite thing to do in my whole life and I wish I'd not been such a resisting dummie.  So don't procrastinate, just drop your "stuff" and come...even  this year is not soon enough..  Smiley

1962 Crown
San Diego, Ca
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2006, 08:26:24 AM »

Gary,

I just found my favorite drink with Burning Man.....

I'll have to get some friends together Huh..

NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2006, 11:27:23 AM »

Yep, Burningman is on my list of "must" things to do also.  And I'm conservative too!
May I suggest that any friends that you take with you be an actractive lot...and very open minded! 
Depending on your lifestyle, taking "friends" may be problematic if you really get into the party astmostphere.
Burningman has to be the largest hoot!   I'm still planning on retriring next year and may be able to figure out how to get out there from North Carolina.   Fuel prices being what they are, the trip may have to be done in some other way....like fly out and find whatever mobile housing one can find.  Whatever you may want, you gotta take it with you.   Rental RVs are about impossible to find just before B'man....even rental trucks and cube vans are not avail.  And if you find a MH for rent, B'man may be off limits.   A MH or bus can get pretty crapped up out in the desert. 

See ya there!  On second thought.... Roll Eyes  JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand
Merlin

Run away before the kids come back home.

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2006, 02:36:42 PM »

Is this sort of like "What goes on at Burning Man, stays at Burning Man"? But then the rules say ya gotta take it all with you ... most problematic.  This whole thing reminds me of the hippie era (early seventies).  Maybe this is a last chance for us old guys to try it.  Then again, maybe I'll simply go and observe.    Shocked

Bus conversion is DONE, and now the home for full-time travel.  Look for me parked in front of your house.
belfert

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2006, 02:44:18 PM »

I would under no circumstances take a really NICE bus to Burning Man.  The event is fine, but the desert will make your nice bus look like a dust bowl in no time.  It is alsmost guaranteed there will be a windy day at Burning Man that will fill your bus with the fine dust of the Black Rock desert.

I have been at the Black Rock desert in an S&S when it was windy and it took hours to remove the dust at home and I never got it all out.  My bus conversion has a very simple design mostly because of the desert dust.

Brian Elfert
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2006, 07:57:52 PM »

Gary,

Give us a update on this years Burning Man.....

Nick-

grantgoold

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2006, 10:01:49 PM »

If anyone goes to Burning Man please look for the giant dragon bus. This was my first bus (a fishbowl) that 15 engineers got together and purchased from me last year. They planned on completely destroying the original look of the bus and making it into a portable dragon.

Keep me posted if you see it. Take lots of pictures if you could.

Good luck!

Grant

Grant Goold
1984 MCI 9
Way in Over My Head!
Citrus Heights, California
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: