Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 19, 2014, 06:57:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Opinions on MC-7 Custom Coach  (Read 5307 times)
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« on: November 04, 2009, 04:30:26 PM »

Hi,

I have come across what seems like a great deal on a factory "Custom Coach" MC-7.  It was bought new from MCI to be converted for a client in the early 70s.  All seems to be well with it.  I am going to have a friend who is a bus mechanic come up from Alabama and look it over if it gets serious.  The original conversion has not been updated, though it is very clean, just needs new flooring and the ceiling panels are worn.  The interior is nice, just gray and royal blue.  I can live with it, though.  Floor plan is nice.  It has 260K original private coach miles and it comes with a parts bus.  Parts bus is even nice, just missing the engine.  The only downer is that the generator is missing.  All for under $10k.  What do you think?

"Life is like a game of Pool... No matter how bad it looks, you take your shot."
mikelutestanski

Mikes Metal Mistress

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 04:41:25 PM »

Hello:    If you are a glutton for punishment and want alot  of work   go for it...   if you could talk the guy down to 5K it would be better..   
    One other item   look the bottom over real well. If the coach was in the northeast and spent alot of time in salt weather then walk  away unless you have the right equipment and want to spend many many hours under the coach  chasing  rust....
   Regards and  happy bussin..
   Bus prices right now at scrap are .06 cents a pound..   makes the bus worth about 1800 or so..     Lots of buses  scrapped every day..   An mci 7 is a very nice bus .  I know and like my bus   but   be prepared for work..   and if you can enjoy the work then go for it.

Good luck on your decision..
     Regards and happy bussin  mike

Mike Lutestanski   Dunnellon Florida
  1972 MCI 7
  L10 Cummins  B400R  4.625R
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 05:12:33 PM »

Hello:    If you are a glutton for punishment and want alot  of work   go for it...   if you could talk the guy down to 5K it would be better...

Please elaborate, "glutton for punishment"...  Are these buses particularly troublesome?  I was all set for a 4104 or 4106, but I thought this sounded pretty good.  Boy, the market must really be crap if you think $5k will get a usable MCI coach with a parts bus to boot.  Not being sarcastic at all, just taken aback.   Huh

"Life is like a game of Pool... No matter how bad it looks, you take your shot."
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 05:23:14 PM »

Jump,

I think that we need a little more info. To me, that sounds decent. I think pics would help.

Don't get skeered off. I think that it might be a great coach. Don't discount it!

Sorry I can't offer more.

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 05:33:50 PM »

I will see if I can get the pics up.  They aren't too good, though.  I wanted to get general opinions before committing to go see it.  Biased or unbiased, I want them all.   Wink

The coach is about 3 hours away.  I can only go by what the owner has told me at this point.  I may have a very different story after putting my own eyeballs on it.  He just sent me more pics a minute ago... Looks like it may be an entertainers coach, as it has a rear lounge, not a bed.  Details are still coming in.

thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 05:56:32 PM »

Here are some pics of the exterior

thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2009, 05:57:22 PM »

More exterior...

thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2009, 06:07:18 PM »

Some interior shots...

thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2009, 06:09:32 PM »

And last two...

Tenor

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2009, 06:13:43 PM »

Has it been in regular use over the years?  That will tell you quite a bit.  If it has sat for years, expect that you will need rubber items (bags, tires, maybe bushings).  Find out how long it takes to air down.  Look for SERIOUS rust, not surface rust on the airbeams.  Yes, THIS mci has them (I own one).  Check the cradle for damage/rust.  The bottom of the cradle is stainless, the top and support pieces are mild steel.  Air beams can be plated.  Mine did not need it.  Look to see if the radius rod bushings are tight.  Only about 1/4 inch should be showing.  Check the condition of the wiring harness in the engine compartment above the muffler on the Driver's side.  it will likley be cloth.  Do the same under the side window next to the drivers seat.  If it has pantograph style baggage doors, check to see if the wood floor (top of the bay) is pulling down.  The MCI 7 also came with swing up style baggage doors.  With that low mileage, it should be a very clean chassis.  Of course, check all of the RV systems.  Expect that it has fiberglass insulation and will never be a really good coach for cold weather unless you plan to strip it out.  Check for leaks from the vista windows.  If it is in good shape and you get a parts bus, I think you have a pretty good deal.  Of course, that extra bus will have to be towed...

Looking forward to pictures!
(Wait, pictures are here!)
Glenn

Glenn Williams
Lansing, MI
www.threemenandatenor.com
1968 MCI 7 Ser. No. 7476 Unit No. 10056
8v71
4 speed Spicer
Tenor

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2009, 06:24:36 PM »

OK,
Expect that the air conditioning won't work.  You will likley need to add roof airs.  Look for window leaks.  I suspect this has been sitting for awhile.  I'd start low.  The paint of course will need to be re-done.  Find out if this bus smells.  It will help you see if you need to strip out lots of interior due to water.  If the mechanicals are good on this bus, I'd think about offering 4-5k without taking the other bus.

Glenn

Glenn Williams
Lansing, MI
www.threemenandatenor.com
1968 MCI 7 Ser. No. 7476 Unit No. 10056
8v71
4 speed Spicer
bryanhes

Eagle Model 10 "For Now"

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2009, 06:39:01 PM »

From what have seen the bus market is soft. How soft sometimes depends on how badly the owner wants or needs to get rid of it or how badly you want it. I am not real familiar with MCI buses other than what I have read here and on other boards but In my opinion it all depends on how well it has been taken care of.

The upside of what I can see in the pictures is that if the floorplan is something that will meet your needs it could sure keep $$$$$ in your pocket with minimal spent on updating as the structure is in place. And the time you could spend cruising instead of a full conversion could be worth a good amount to you if the layout works.

It's all about what the owner wants and what you are willing to pay. I think I found that when I was searching for one before I purchased. Don't be afraid to offer half of the asking. Remember all they can say is NO  Grin You can always negotiate from that point. I know those deals are out there as I purchased mine for half of what the asking price was just a few months ago and the economy has not seen any improvements.

Just bring your mechanic friend along and do your due dilligence, write down all the questions you have and ask them, because you will not remember everything and take stock in what can't be answered. Walk away if your gut tells you something is not right. As we all know our gut instinct is usually right  Wink There is always another bus around the corner!

HTH,
Bryan
bryanhes

Eagle Model 10 "For Now"

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2009, 07:11:43 PM »

A friend told me this bus looks like one that was converted for McDonalds by Custom Coach. You might check with them for more info on the bus.

Bryan
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2009, 07:12:39 PM »

OK,
Expect that the air conditioning won't work.  You will likley need to add roof airs.  Look for window leaks.  I suspect this has been sitting for awhile.  I'd start low.  The paint of course will need to be re-done.  Find out if this bus smells.  It will help you see if you need to strip out lots of interior due to water.  If the mechanicals are good on this bus, I'd think about offering 4-5k without taking the other bus.

Glenn

Actually, he said the registration only recently ran out and that it has been used recently.  I think he said the air worked, don't remember.  As for water encroachment, we'll see.  he didn't mention any.  

Just curious, why wouldn't you take the other bus?  
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 07:20:35 PM by thejumpsuitman » Logged

bryanhes

Eagle Model 10 "For Now"

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2009, 07:17:58 PM »

Does anyone remember the blue tables that were in McDonalds during the seventies? The tables in the bus look the same color.

Bryan
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: