Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 19, 2014, 03:28:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Opinions on MC-7 Custom Coach  (Read 5656 times)
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2009, 07:47:01 PM »

Just curious, why wouldn't you take the other bus?  

Expect it to cost upwards of $4.00 per loaded mile to move a non-runner, & that's after you find someone willing to move an old bus. If it is towed on a hook, you'll need to have it aired up & good rubber. If you use a landoll, over height issues will add to the cost.
Ain't no such thing as a free bus. After 4, I should know. (the last free bus ended up costing me over $3000 to get her home & it is just a stripped out shell. . . . )
Is it worth that? Do you have a place to store it without the hassles from zoning?

Good luck!  Grin

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2009, 08:52:22 PM »

It's probably about 150 miles away, so at $4/mile, that would be about $600.  For all those spare parts, that sounds reasonable to me.  As for the neighbors, Hmmmm.  I am trying to sell my house to one of them, so it might work to my advantage to be as obnoxious and annoying as possible.  Roll Eyes  Creating a 40 foot 30,000 eyesore might just create an incentive for them to buy the place and get me out of the neighborhood!  LOL

"Life is like a game of Pool... No matter how bad it looks, you take your shot."
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2009, 04:36:03 AM »

I was under the impression that in the early 70's, all buses that came off the MCI line were destined for Greyhound, and that they were not provided new to converters.
Not sure about this, but I recall someone talking about that or reading it in one of the bus magazines. Seems like Greyhound owned MCI for a time, and all their production was put into passenger service.

Also, the pictures you posted seem to show more wear and tear than I'd expect for only 260K miles.  Even if that's the case, unless the engine has been rebuilt, it's 2/3 through it's life, so you can expect another 10-20K for a rebuild in a short time.

If it were me, I'd would not fall in love with this MC7 until I had a chance to have more detailed inspections done on it. There are a lot of coaches out there.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
junkman42

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2009, 04:56:18 AM »

In 1972 My MC 7 was delivered to a private owner and was converted by custom coach at that time!  There were 6 others that were sold to Ray Kroc who was the founder of McDonald's.  They were also were converted by custom coach!  I have a list of these coach's and there appropriate numbers if needed.  I will have to dig but will if needed.  Over the years there were others sold to Kroc for which I do not have the info.  Regards John
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2009, 05:16:12 AM »

Hi Grumpy,

Assuming what you are suggesting is true, and 260k is 2/3 life on the engine, that would leave about another 125k to go, no?  And wouldn't 260K be only about 1/10 the miles any old Greyhound would have seen?  Wouldn't that mean the body, seeing only 10% of those miles be much tighter than a Greyhound discard?  Don't get me wrong, I welcome all opinions, I am just trying to make sense out of the downside you are trying to present.  

Even if the engine only lasted half as long as you are suggesting, 60K miles, it would still probably take me 5-10 years to wear it out.  I want to keep the whole picture in perspective.  
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 05:32:08 AM by thejumpsuitman » Logged

"Life is like a game of Pool... No matter how bad it looks, you take your shot."
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2009, 05:21:18 AM »

If the coach has a auto tranny and hasn't been changed over the years it had a wet torque converter ( the converter runs in oil ) from the factory and they were prone for a few problems mostly leaking.
FWIW a owner of several Mickey Dees in Tulsa has one of the MCI 7 made for Kroc by Custom Coach  

good luck
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 05:28:06 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2009, 05:29:26 AM »

If the coach has a auto tranny and hasn't been changed over the years it had a wet torque converter ( the converter runs in oil ) from the factory and they were prone for a few problems mostly leaking.
FWIW a owner of several Mickey Dees in Tulsa has one of the MCI 7 made for Kroc by Custom Coach  

good luck

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.  Not sure I mentioned it, but the bus comes with a spare working Allison 6 speed.

Tenor

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2009, 05:32:50 AM »

I'm glad to hear it has been in use.  Take our thoughts on things to check with you and your mechanic and let us know.  To me, it just looks weathered.  Not beat.  The interior looks clean.  As for suspension wear for it's mileage, I think that weathering is more likely to have caused issues with airbags and other rubber pieces.  Thinking of that, look for an aux fuel tank in the first bay (it will be a big aluminum box attached to the rear wall in the middle).  My rubber lines connecting the two went bad just after I filled it up...  Really, if it's clean and the radius rod bushings look good and there is minimal rust, you could have a very affordable conversion.  Original style airbags can be had for the whole bus for about 1k and if you have the time, the job is just labor intensive.  Not horrible by any means.  Also, with the original rear windows in, look for rust in the framework above the squirrel cage fans.  And swing up the front bumper, and look up behind the front end skin and look for rust in the supports.  Those are common areas of problems from bad window seals.  I'm excited for ya!

Glenn

Forgot to add:
If you have a place for the other bus and it will only run you about 600 to move it (assuming it airs up) get it.  That's well worth it.  I paid the same and didn't have to take it home but I wish I could have!

Glenn Williams
Lansing, MI
www.threemenandatenor.com
1968 MCI 7 Ser. No. 7476 Unit No. 10056
8v71
4 speed Spicer
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2009, 06:01:00 AM »

I was under the impression that in the early 70's, all buses that came off the MCI line were destined for Greyhound, and that they were not provided new to converters.
Not sure about this, but I recall someone talking about that or reading it in one of the bus magazines. Seems like Greyhound owned MCI for a time, and all their production was put into passenger service.

I don't think they ever owned MCI, but wasn't the MC-6 sold exclusively to Greyhound?

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2009, 06:08:30 AM »

FWIW, Greyhound,MCI and Eagle were all owned by the Dial Soap Co and when Greyhound went bankrupt it took Eagle down with it because one manufacture had to go and they needed the cash to keep MCI afloat.And Greyhound was the owner of MCI before Dial

good luck
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 06:33:34 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2009, 07:19:13 AM »

VERY interesting history, Clifford. Thanks!

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
junkman42

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2009, 08:46:29 AM »

Some more errata!  If the spare bus has an HT70 allison and You have no use please contact Me!  I have been told that the HT70 was weak and trouble prone but have found a canadain log compamy that have log trucks with 12V71's and HT70 allison's claiming They have never touched the tranny's.  The HT70 is a true 6 speed and other than sometimes shifting like a ton of bricks mine does not leak and in 10 thousand miles knock on stainless steel, has not failed.  The torque converter is wet in mine and requires a starter with a seal unlike the other engine-tranny combos. Again if You post the serial # I will dig My list out for You.  Regards John
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2009, 09:42:58 AM »

The assumption that the engine will go for 500,000 miles is not reasonable.  That may be true of engines running 100,000 miles a year, but not on the ones that we use.  If the bus has been in use, there should be recent maintenance records to go through.  An operating but does not go for several years without a paper trail.  Just remember that putting neglected peripheral systems into good order could cost a huge amount.  Of course, everything comes down to a good bus mechanic going over it well.  I really think that you could find better deals around considering what the fix up costs are going to be.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2009, 10:28:06 AM »

It's probably about 150 miles away, so at $4/mile, that would be about $600.  For all those spare parts, that sounds reasonable to me.  As for the neighbors, Hmmmm.  I am trying to sell my house to one of them, so it might work to my advantage to be as obnoxious and annoying as possible.  Roll Eyes  Creating a 40 foot 30,000 eyesore might just create an incentive for them to buy the place and get me out of the neighborhood!  LOL

It STARTS at $4. It goes up from there. That $4 is to show the minimum cost to move one. Some towing companies add a loading/ unloading fee. Some simply charge by the hour ($125 here) the truck is outside their yard gate.
If your bus isn't 'ready to go', you'll have to pay for the truck while it waits.

I had one driver who couldn't back up the trailer, he spent over an hour back & fourth - I thought he'd wear out the dirt! I had to pay for that time too. - That 60 mile haul cost over $700

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2009, 10:33:32 AM »

The assumption that the engine will go for 500,000 miles is not reasonable.  That may be true of engines running 100,000 miles a year, but not on the ones that we use.  If the bus has been in use, there should be recent maintenance records to go through.  An operating but does not go for several years without a paper trail.  Just remember that putting neglected peripheral systems into good order could cost a huge amount.  Of course, everything comes down to a good bus mechanic going over it well.  I really think that you could find better deals around considering what the fix up costs are going to be.

I never said there was no documentation....  He may have a filing cabinet full of paperwork and the engine may have been overhauled last year for all I know....  I'll find out tomorrow.  And as for fix-up costs, I don't believe I mentioned anything other than the lack of a generator.  Huh

I am more interested in hearing opinions of the deal as described for the money based on what is known, not on pure unguided speculation.  Obviously, I will be cautious as to the mechanical condition.  I wouldn't ask a friend to drive 9 hours to come check it out for me if I wasn't planning to be cautious.

I'm a little surprised at all the opinions against.  I don't think I have heard any legitimate reasons why this is a bad deal, just a lot of "but if's". I don't think my description of this deal gives any cause for all the pessimism, unless the general opinion is that it's just too much money.  UNDER 10k.  Actually a lot under 10K.  I threw in a couple grand to cover incidentals, like paying my buddy to come up, a couple tires if needed, etc.

Opinions are all welcome, of course, but geez, try to have an open mind, or at least give me something specific to go on.  I am by no means bent on buying this bus, but I place quite a bit of value on a coach that is ready to use on the conversion side, especially a Custom Coach.  Am I missing something?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: