Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 31, 2014, 03:16:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Runaway Detroit 6-71 - Last night's excitement  (Read 8822 times)
ceieio
MCI 7 DD 8V71, HT740

1973 MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2006, 01:32:07 PM »

BK - Good post.. I leared a lot against the day my bus ends up on a hook!

Craig - MC7 Oregon

Craig MC7 - Oregon USA
WEC4104

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2006, 02:04:40 PM »

Well, I am back from my business trip and on the board again.

I also see that Luke was kind enough to post a message with an update on my 4104.  Up until now, I have intentionally avoided mentioning which shop did my 6-71 rebuild.  U.S. Coach has always treated me well (and continues to do so). While we have been discussing and speculating on what might be wrong with my coach, I did not want to name names, out of fairness to them. I have always been pleased with the work they have done for me, and I certainly didn't want any comments misinterpreted to mean otherwise.  Well, now that Luke has posted his update,  and I know what the overall situation is, I can stop referring to him in generic terms.

Luke and I have been in touch a few times via telephone.  My coach arrived at Camp Luke Tuesday afternoon, and they immediately confirmed that I had a stuck fuel injector that kept the rack in a full (or nearly full) open position.  These injectors were fresh rebuilt Detroit Diesel units, and there was certainly no way U.S Coach could have known or anticipated this problem. In fact, it took over 1000 miles of driving for the problem to surface. Parts are on order.

The oil leak problem appears to be coming from the oil cooler, and is unrelated.

I was very concerned when it looked like my insurance was forcing me to have her towed elsewhere. Fortunately, everything worked out, and I was able to get my insurance company (Progressive) to agree to tow her a bit further to Luke.  The help Luke provided in giving the towing company specific instructions on how to tow a 4104 was also valuable.

I look back on the overall situation, and I am absolutely amazed how fortunate I was. Somebody was certainly looking out for me that evening.  Mostly, I am thankful that I was able to "land" her okay with my family and other motorists safe.  People are what is important, and the rest of the stuff is only metal and money.

Folks have complemented me on my coolness, but the fact is I had one big advantage going for me: Time.  When I discovered I had a problem, I was cruising on an interstate in minimal traffic. I realized I didn't have to do anything immediately. I had the luxury of knowing I could keep doing what I was doing for the next 2+ hours, while I pondered my dillema. At one point while I was driving, I even picked up my cell phone and called U.S. Coach.  It was 7:40 on a Friday evening, and I doubted I would reach anyone, but I figured I had nothing to lose.  Sort of my "Regis, I'd like to phone a friend."  Imagine if Luke had been there to answer the phone, I am sure it would have been his most interesting call for that day!

Had my problem been discovered under different circumstances, chances are I would not have had time to think about my options, and I would only have had time to react. I would have probably needed to use the clutch and/or neutral, and would have quickly turned my 6-71 into modern art.

The list of other ways I was fortunate is endless... It was daytime. It was the only time in six years, we have had a second car along with us for the weekend trip. The clouds opened in a major downpour 15 minutes AFTER I left the bus at the rest stop. My towing coverage deemed me just barely within range of Luke's shop.  ... and I could list many more.

Here's hoping that if any of you encounter a "bad" situation like this, you have as many "good" things happen to you.  
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 07:17:39 PM by WEC4104 » Logged

If you're going to be dumb, you gotta be tough.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: